Is Kansas going to snap their losing streak in Lincoln?

astracloseup.jpg

And if someone from Kansas says they don't hate Nebraska, ask them "Why the statue on top of their capitol building is shooting arrows at us?"

I used to be way too homophobic to look...But it appears he's shooting more than just arrows at us..

Does he need to "pinch something off" ?...see "balloon knot" (sphincter) <_<

Or is he waving his naughty parts in our general direction?

Having thought some more--like, for a minute--about the Big XII north, I am now inclined to say that it's not so much that Big Red's foes have gotten SO much better of late, it's more that the Huskers haven't been the level of team that we are accustomed to fielding, for, say, about 7 years now; that is, we are no longer THE dominant team.

Yeah, Miz-ZOO and the Flying Manginos have been making some noise and, of those two, I think the Tigs are further ahead in terms of establishing their legitimacy. KU still does not, to me, have the type of talent that whoos a person, but you have to give Mangino a ton of credit for being an excellent coach--and please, can we try to refrain from the cracks about his weight?

Look at the south: it's still OU and TX sharing the throne, with TTech, OSU, and aTm trying to establish themselves as challengers. Such is the situation with the north, except that NE has fallen from it's throne(though we still won the north division 2 yrs ago, don't forget) and the challengers are opportunistically pillaging for all that it's worth.

So, will Big Red return to it's rightful place as the clear king of the north in ensuing years? I think it's 65/35(if my computer calculations are correct--that adds up to a 100, right?) at this point. We cannot afford to have 3 consecutive coaching failures, not that Solich and Cali were COMPLETE faliures(also, I temper that remark with my observation of the Celtics for the last 10 crappy years out here, but look where they are now, and it's like their tradition never went away). NE's rep has taken a big hit such that KU, MU, and CU are making gains in recruiting. NE does not have the recruiting luxuries--so much--that TX and OU enjoy, yet we atill have our 'brand name' somewhat in tact.

However, 'kind'(?) Husker Fan, have faith in the BO-urne Supremacy!. If anyone can get us back to where we belong and put the would-be usurpers back in their proper place, it is BO P. But, suffice it to say, this is a pivotal time in Big Red history, cuz if for some reason BO doesn't git-r-dun, it is quite possible that NE will just fade into the category of 'also ran' in the conference--alas, in the nation. :wtf

Personally, I enjoy reminiscing about the good 'ol days of OZZIE Osbourne, etc., but that is wearing thin and it is not what I want to be doing 2-3 years from now. We need to create a new future of excellence, and hence a new history.... :restore:yeah:woo

The Big Red's foes haven't gotten much better? When was the last time KU was in a BCS bowl? When was the last time MU finished the season ranked in the top 10? Both teams enter the preseason highly ranked. Yes, we have gotten worse. However, other teams in the North have gotten better and in some cases much better. With fewer schollies, teams are getting more and more on an even playing field. 10 years ago, we didn't see the upsets we saw last year. 10 years ago, Stanford doesn't beat USC. CU doesn't beat OU. Etc. IMO, the college game is getting closer and closer to the pro game. The team that stays healthy has the best chance. Look at West Virginia last year. When White and Slaton were healthy, they won. When they were hurt, they lost. Look how important Dixon was to Oregon. Whether this be good or bad, I'm not sure but it is what it is.

Yeah, I am fully aware of and have argued the parity point, which I think is valid, but what I'm mainly saying is that the only resaon KU and MU were able to get where they were last year was because NE was down. KU especially, to me, doesn't have any earthshaking talent, but they are well coached, disciplined--play well as a team. Had we had any semblence of a defense we might have won that game since normally 39 points will get you a win(which reminds me of the CU game). Mizzou probably has the best talent they have ever had, but OU took them out just as NE would havehad we been where we should have been.

I'm just throwing out a hypothesis that I think has some truth to it...

\What about Mizzou's beating Rose Bowl Illinois and WAXING SEC Arkansas. Too bad they did not match up with OU well.... (not really too bad for me)

The talent for KU and MU is a few years old, and you guys still got some of the better KC players. In 2007, you took Blake Lawrence out, and his brother is on our team. We just have coaches, ala Bill Snyder, who could find guys good enough to make progress anyway. We think there are 18 KU schollies this year and 11 are filled, that is unheard of for us. I would say in average quality, KU is just now getting the benefit of last year. It may have helped in late sigings last year and Juco tooo, but before that we were not beating out many Husker offers. Now we have Juco National player of the year, and last year finished strong, but don't look to Lawrence for missing Huskers. Now the BC exit caused recruitig losses, but more to MU, and that is a VERY recent trend as well.

Oh, yes, regarding the 2 MU games you mentioned: the Tigs narrowly escaped with a V vs ILL; that is, ILL really should have won that game in the waning seconds as they were in prime scoring position(on the 8 yd line, if I recall correctly) but their relatively inexperienced QB Williams thru a pic or something; and, so MU beat ARK at a time when ARK was in an extreme state of turmoil with the Nutt-ster ordeal. So what, ARK was like the 5-6th best team in the SEC, good one week, pathetic the next.

In the past, those types of 'acomplishments' probably been viewed with a shrug of the shoulder for a Big Red team. I mean, in '06 NE was playing OU in the CC game and AU(one of the SEC's best at the time) AND we lost those games, the AU game being particularly close. What I'm saying here, is that that season for NU was by and large considered a failure,even though we won 9 games, but now Mizzou and KU are all head over heals about themselves because they got to games that NE normally would have been in....

I'm sorry, I guess that sounds pretty jerky of me......but am I wrong? :dunno

p.s., Miz-zoo DID get robbed having been left out of the BCS.....they should have gone instead of KU.

Having thought some more--like, for a minute--about the Big XII north, I am now inclined to say that it's not so much that Big Red's foes have gotten SO much better of late, it's more that the Huskers haven't been the level of team that we are accustomed to fielding, for, say, about 7 years now; that is, we are no longer THE dominant team.

Yeah, Miz-ZOO and the Flying Manginos have been making some noise and, of those two, I think the Tigs are further ahead in terms of establishing their legitimacy. KU still does not, to me, have the type of talent that whoos a person, but you have to give Mangino a ton of credit for being an excellent coach--and please, can we try to refrain from the cracks about his weight?

Look at the south: it's still OU and TX sharing the throne, with TTech, OSU, and aTm trying to establish themselves as challengers. Such is the situation with the north, except that NE has fallen from it's throne(though we still won the north division 2 yrs ago, don't forget) and the challengers are opportunistically pillaging for all that it's worth.

So, will Big Red return to it's rightful place as the clear king of the north in ensuing years? I think it's 65/35(if my computer calculations are correct--that adds up to a 100, right?) at this point. We cannot afford to have 3 consecutive coaching failures, not that Solich and Cali were COMPLETE faliures(also, I temper that remark with my observation of the Celtics for the last 10 crappy years out here, but look where they are now, and it's like their tradition never went away). NE's rep has taken a big hit such that KU, MU, and CU are making gains in recruiting. NE does not have the recruiting luxuries--so much--that TX and OU enjoy, yet we atill have our 'brand name' somewhat in tact.

However, 'kind'(?) Husker Fan, have faith in the BO-urne Supremacy!. If anyone can get us back to where we belong and put the would-be usurpers back in their proper place, it is BO P. But, suffice it to say, this is a pivotal time in Big Red history, cuz if for some reason BO doesn't git-r-dun, it is quite possible that NE will just fade into the category of 'also ran' in the conference--alas, in the nation. :wtf

Personally, I enjoy reminiscing about the good 'ol days of OZZIE Osbourne, etc., but that is wearing thin and it is not what I want to be doing 2-3 years from now. We need to create a new future of excellence, and hence a new history.... :restore:yeah:woo

The Big Red's foes haven't gotten much better? When was the last time KU was in a BCS bowl? When was the last time MU finished the season ranked in the top 10? Both teams enter the preseason highly ranked. Yes, we have gotten worse. However, other teams in the North have gotten better and in some cases much better. With fewer schollies, teams are getting more and more on an even playing field. 10 years ago, we didn't see the upsets we saw last year. 10 years ago, Stanford doesn't beat USC. CU doesn't beat OU. Etc. IMO, the college game is getting closer and closer to the pro game. The team that stays healthy has the best chance. Look at West Virginia last year. When White and Slaton were healthy, they won. When they were hurt, they lost. Look how important Dixon was to Oregon. Whether this be good or bad, I'm not sure but it is what it is.

Yeah, I am fully aware of and have argued the parity point, which I think is valid, but what I'm mainly saying is that the only resaon KU and MU were able to get where they were last year was because NE was down. KU especially, to me, doesn't have any earthshaking talent, but they are well coached, disciplined--play well as a team. Had we had any semblence of a defense we might have won that game since normally 39 points will get you a win(which reminds me of the CU game). Mizzou probably has the best talent they have ever had, but OU took them out just as NE would havehad we been where we should have been.

\What about Mizzou's beating Rose Bowl Illinois and WAXING SEC Arkansas. Too bad they did not match up with OU well.... (not really too bad for me)

The talent for KU and MU is a few years old, and you guys still got some of the better KC players. In 2007, you took Blake Lawrence out, and his brother is on our team. We just have coaches, ala Bill Snyder, who could find guys good enough to make progress anyway. We think there are 18 KU schollies this year and 11 are filled, that is unheard of for us. I would say in average quality, KU is just now getting the benefit of last year. It may have helped in late sigings last year and Juco tooo, but before that we were not beating out many Husker offers. Now we have Juco National player of the year, and last year finished strong, but don't look to Lawrence for missing Huskers. Now the BC exit caused recruitig losses, but more to MU, and that is a VERY recent trend as well.

Yep, well, I think you have supported some of my points here: other north schools have been getting a recruiting 'bump' due to the turmoil in Lincoln. I am sure KU must be getting more talent and Mizzou already has some excellent talent, especially at the 'skill' positions. Daniels is a veteran and arguably the best spread QB in the country. But he's going on his third year as a starter which is something that is becoming a rarity in cfb these days. I think Crouch was the last QB for NE that had solid playing time for 3 years, his senior year particularly being his best.

NE does have some very good talent on the team, probably overall better talent than KU last year, IMO, but the way things hashed out, so many of the guys on defense didn't have much experience and god only knows what were the coaching/team chemistry shortcomings that led to last year's debacle for Big Red.

For '08 I don't think there are any other north teams that have more talent than NE, except maybe Miz-zoo at a few positions, and I really believe BO Pelini will have our team playing very well and in a few years NE could well again be setting the pace. I think we will see a return of Blackshirt style D.

Who knows? NE has slid, the other teams have gotten better, there is far more parity. But if NE starts winning again in the way NE Fan is accustomed, in a few years I think we will seperate from the pack again...mainly because NE's 'brand name' will once again kick in for recruiting.

I mean, if Cali and Co. wouldn't have botched things up so badly last year, we would have gotten Gabbert, Jonas Gray and the other defectors. Too bad for those guys I guess, because if I were a cfb recruit, I would far more rather play for BO P than probably any other coach in the conference, though I like Mangino and respect alot how Pinkel has pretty much reinvented himself and team.

Suffice it to say, KU Fan, if someone has to temporarily sit on NE's throne I'd just as soon it be the J'Birds--and NOT Miz-ZOO or the bad ol' Puffs.... :yeah

astracloseup.jpg

And if someone from Kansas says they don't hate Nebraska, ask them "Why the statue on top of their capitol building is shooting arrows at us?"

I used to be way too homophobic to look...But it appears he's shooting more than just arrows at us..

LOL, that's a pretty messed up looking state emblem...... :rollin Can't quite tell if it is supposed to be some Greco-Roman deity or a native American dude just randomly shooting an arrow into the sky during a vision quest or something. But you are right, something very strange is going on in his crotch region.....dangling 'junk' would be my guess.....how uncouth!!!

astracloseup.jpg

LOL, that's a pretty messed up looking state emblem...... :rollin Can't quite tell if it is supposed to be some Greco-Roman deity or a native American dude just randomly shooting an arrow into the sky during a vision quest or something. But you are right, something very strange is going on in his crotch region.....dangling 'junk' would be my guess.....how uncouth!!!

He's a member of the Kansa Tribe

Oh, yes, regarding the 2 MU games you mentioned: the Tigs narrowly escaped with a V vs ILL; that is, ILL really should have won that game in the waning seconds as they were in prime scoring position(on the 8 yd line, if I recall correctly) but their relatively inexperienced QB Williams thru a pic or something; and, so MU beat ARK at a time when ARK was in an extreme state of turmoil with the Nutt-ster ordeal. So what, ARK was like the 5-6th best team in the SEC, good one week, pathetic the next.

In the past, those types of 'acomplishments' probably been viewed with a shrug of the shoulder for a Big Red team. I mean, in '06 NE was playing OU in the CC game and AU(one of the SEC's best at the time) AND we lost those games, the AU game being particularly close. What I'm saying here, is that that season for NU was by and large considered a failure,even though we won 9 games, but now Mizzou and KU are all head over heals about themselves because they got to games that NE normally would have been in....

p.s., Miz-zoo DID get robbed having been left out of the BCS.....they should have gone instead of KU.

No, Illinois Robbed Mizzou. Illinois had nowhere near KU's resume, KU lost one game by 8 points, and won the game. I do not mean to bring up a sore point, but your memory on your sucess is a bit inflated int he BCS era. You all have have won 1 BCS bowl since 98-99, the first year of the BCS, and lost rather badly in another. I am not trying to take a dig at the Huskers, but KU got to a BCS bowl and beat a very good team in that game, leaving more points on the field than Tech. Not saying Mizzou got a fair deal, not saying we had a great schedule (but not as bad as people make out), but winning a BCS bowl is a big accomplishment. Only 5 teams do it every year. If you think I am saying we are now a dynasty, I am not. But this is the best place our program has ever been in the whole picture, so we hae improved ads a program in my view. The Cotton Bowl is the best non BCS bowl for the Big 12, and while Arkansas was having a coaching issue, Mizzou KILLED those dudes. I do not like MIZZOU at all, but they went in against an SEC who a few games before beat the national champs and whupped their rears. I am not dying to give Mizzou credit for anything, I thought they folded a ltittle at the end of the Big 12 title game, but I got to give the devil his due. They proved to me that they should have had the Rose Bowl, not Illinois. I hate to say it, but they are the best team in the North this year, and I think we may be the following year. I think the Huskers will be back, but there are 3 other teams in the North to deqal with who should make things very entertaining (Hawkinson is a good coach in my view, the Buffs will be good at some point)...

No, Illinois Robbed Mizzou. Illinois had nowhere near KU's resume, KU lost one game by 8 points, and won the game. I do not mean to bring up a sore point, but your memory on your sucess is a bit inflated int he BCS era. You all have have won 1 BCS bowl since 98-99, the first year of the BCS, and lost rather badly in another. I am not trying to take a dig at the Huskers, but KU got to a BCS bowl and beat a very good team in that game, leaving more points on the field than Tech. Not saying Mizzou got a fair deal, not saying we had a great schedule (but not as bad as people make out), but winning a BCS bowl is a big accomplishment. Only 5 teams do it every year. If you think I am saying we are now a dynasty, I am not. But this is the best place our program has ever been in the whole picture, so we hae improved ads a program in my view. The Cotton Bowl is the best non BCS bowl for the Big 12, and while Arkansas was having a coaching issue, Mizzou KILLED those dudes. I do not like MIZZOU at all, but they went in against an SEC who a few games before beat the national champs and whupped their rears. I am not dying to give Mizzou credit for anything, I thought they folded a ltittle at the end of the Big 12 title game, but I got to give the devil his due. They proved to me that they should have had the Rose Bowl, not Illinois. I hate to say it, but they are the best team in the North this year, and I think we may be the following year. I think the Huskers will be back, but there are 3 other teams in the North to deqal with who should make things very entertaining (Hawkinson is a good coach in my view, the Buffs will be good at some point)...

ooops. i clicked the wrong thing......

Ok, ILL 'robbed' Miz-zoo out of the BCS, it's ILL's fault, though I think only a few teams per conference are chosen for BCS games and clearly MU should have been selected from the Big XII before KU. I mean, at the time, the main story in the media was how KU got in over MU, not how MU got robbed by ILL. At 9-3, ILL should not have been in the BCS, though I love watching that team.

But I think you have to understand something about where NE and its fans are coming from. NE has played in many many championship games over the course of the past 35+ yrs or so, even a few in this decade, though I feel we should not have been in the NC game back in '01 since we didn't even get to the CC game. Last year we made it to the CC and Cotton bowl and since we lost the season was generally viewed as a failure, whereas in the normal scope of things, had KU or ISU, for e.g., even made it to those games it would have been perceived as a great acomplishment.

We are used to being on an elite level though we haven't seen that for the past 7 years. The mentality and standards here are different than what has been the case for a school like KU. It's like, so you guys had a good team last year and made it to a high profile bowl game and beat a decent--though not championship-level team(VT). I applaud your success, but at the same time it's the only time it's happened for you guys in about 30 years and you didn't even win the conference. So the feeling here is like, 'KU Fan get over yourselves', your team has a long long way to go to get from flash-in-the-pan statis to being considered a perennial force in CFB. It was apparent in the KU/MU game last year that KU wasn't quite ready for the spotlight until late in the game, after it had pretty much been decided. I was very surprised that they beat VT, which showed me they adapted pretty quickly to being in a big game. Credit to Mangino.

Quite frankly, though, I think KU is the 'good' north team that the Huskers are most likely to beat this year so we'll just have to wait and see what happens there.

And as I have noted in previous posts, it is not a done deal that NE will return to dominance, it is a very critical time for Big Red at this point... CFB is different now, I'm still scratching my head at how OU got waxed by WV in that bowl....that was shocking considering WV was also going thru coaching upheaval, had gotten embarrassed by Pitt and OU was seemingly hitting on all cylinders going into that game...:yeah

We are used to being on an elite level though we haven't seen that for the past 7 years. The mentality and standards here are different than what has been the case for a school like KU. It's like, so you guys had a good team last year and made it to a high profile bowl game and beat a decent--though not championship-level team(VT). I applaud your success, but at the same time it's the only time it's happened for you guys in about 30 years and you didn't even win the conference. So the feeling here is like, 'KU Fan get over yourselves', your team has a long long way to go to get from flash-in-the-pan statis to being considered a perennial force in CFB. It was apparent in the KU/MU game last year that KU wasn't quite ready for the spotlight until late in the game, after it had pretty much been decided. I was very surprised that they beat VT, which showed me they adapted pretty quickly to being in a big game. Credit to Mangino.

I agree. KU has one good year, and now the KU "fans" that "have been with the football team x number of years" are coming out of the wood work. Will they be as supportive if KU doesn't post as good of a record as last year? It's going to be tough for them with their schedule with possible losses against South Florida, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas, and Missouri (this doesn't even include the away game against Nebraska). That's six games. Six games that KU will have to play at 100% if they want to win. We shall see what KU's record is after a little tougher schedule.

And as I have noted in previous posts, it is not a done deal that NE will return to dominance, it is a very critical time for Big Red at this point... CFB is different now, I'm still scratching my head at how OU got waxed by WV in that bowl....that was shocking considering WV was also going thru coaching upheaval, had gotten embarrassed by Pitt and OU was seemingly hitting on all cylinders going into that game...:yeah

Pat White. Enough said.

I still say 4-8 for Kansas in 2008, with NU not being one of the 4. KU caught a lot of people by surprise last year (I mean...who honestly really put an emphasis on preparing for KANSAS before the season started?) what with your new QB running the show...but this year will be a different story. Reesing is a known quantity now. Lots of film available for review. Offensive and defensive sets and personnel are going to be known and planned for this year...

The story is going to be a lot different with NU because right now, nobody knows what's going to be coming out of Lincoln so NU is going to be that much more difficult to set up a game plan against. You won't know sets, plays or personnel till you experience it. You can't even plan around coaching tendencies because Bo has never been the HC.

That's why NU has a good chance at gaining the top tier of the North while KU, along with the fun schedule in 08, will be floundering around at the bottom. We'll leave the light on for you so you don't fall down the stairs on your way to the cellar....just don't step on KSU as they will already be there.

I agree. KU has one good year, and now the KU "fans" that "have been with the football team x number of years" are coming out of the wood work. Will they be as supportive if KU doesn't post as good of a record as last year? It's going to be tough for them with their schedule with possible losses against South Florida, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas, and Missouri (this doesn't even include the away game against Nebraska). That's six games. Six games that KU will have to play at 100% if they want to win. We shall see what KU's record is after a little tougher schedule.

Pat White. Enough said.

yep, KU will do well to get 8 wins outta the reg. season, and it will be like, 'wow, we are so good...' yada, yada......in NE that is a failed season, but how could a KU fan ever understand that?(except in roundball)

and another 'yep' rgdg. Pat White, though I didnt think he could make the Sooners look so bad... :thumbs

I still say 4-8 for Kansas in 2008, with NU not being one of the 4. KU caught a lot of people by surprise last year (I mean...who honestly really put an emphasis on preparing for KANSAS before the season started?) what with your new QB running the show...but this year will be a different story. Reesing is a known quantity now. Lots of film available for review. Offensive and defensive sets and personnel are going to be known and planned for this year...

The story is going to be a lot different with NU because right now, nobody knows what's going to be coming out of Lincoln so NU is going to be that much more difficult to set up a game plan against. You won't know sets, plays or personnel till you experience it. You can't even plan around coaching tendencies because Bo has never been the HC.

That's why NU has a good chance at gaining the top tier of the North while KU, along with the fun schedule in 08, will be floundering around at the bottom. We'll leave the light on for you so you don't fall down the stairs on your way to the cellar....just don't step on KSU as they will already be there.

LOL, funny stuff! :woo I was gonna say the thing about KU being more of a known quantity going into '08, so I'm glad you took up the slack there. I don't recall, but did they score many points last year in games other than against us? Their other best game was against aTm...looked good there(total surprise).

But I think KU is a well coached team, so they will probably get to the 8 win mark. They will be tested and they will have to prove themselves. It would be funny if ISU snuck up and bit 'em in their collective feathered tush though, would love to see that.... :corndance Might even cause their state emblem guy to fully pinch that loaf he's currently holding onto.

As for preparing for Big Red, I suppose peeps will look at LSU film from the last 3 yrs and our O shouldnt be too far removed from what we were doing under Calli, though one would hope it's less convoluted. I think we will be able to just straight up run on most teams we face....Castille and Lucky will be a powerful duo :box

while ku and mu look great right now...lets no9t forget ksu, and CU do not...and yes those teams went to BCS bowls.. so no the foes arent really that much better

while ku and mu look great right now...lets no9t forget ksu, and CU do not...and yes those teams went to BCS bowls.. so no the foes arent really that much better