Huskers looking for a quarterback

Huskers looking for a quarterback

Link

During the Bill Callahan era, recruiting was done in an aggressive manner. What is meant by that is that the offers rolled out the door in droves.

Head coach Bo Pelini and his staff first focused on establishing a foundation for the new defense and offense and to instill renewed confidence. Recruiting now will be more in full focus.

That's not to say that no recruiting has been done. In fact, the quarterback position has been one position that has received heavy attention since February.

Let's take a look at 11 quarterbacks who have offers. Four can be crossed out right now, as those four have already decided for another team. Here's a look at the other seven:

Jon Budmayr - 6-1, 200 (4.7) Woodstock, Ill.

Background: Budmayr has shown steady improvement over the past three years. His completion percentage has gone up from 51.5 percent to last year's 61.6 percent, and his yards completed have increased from 1,226 as a freshman to 2,033 last year. His touchdown-to-interception ratio was 15 to five last season.

My take: Budmayr has visited Nebraska, Illinois, Notre Dame and Northwestern. He acknowledges that Wisconsin has received approximately five visits - more than any other school. They did offer first and that could be the reason. I feel Wisconsin has the lead. 15 percent chance of becoming a Husker.

Cody Green - 6-4, 220 (4.6) Dayton, Texas

Background: Due to an injury, Green missed practically his entire junior campaign, but he threw for 1,429 yards and 19 touchdowns as a sophomore. He added another 689 yards rushing and another four touchdowns.

My take: Making a visit to Lincoln could bring his interest to a new level, but he has had more coaching contact with the Texas A&M, Baylor, LSU and Oklahoma State coaches. He plans on making up his mind this summer. That trip to Lincoln had better be made fairly soon. 10 percent chance.

Clayton Moore - 6-2, 205 (4.7) Louisville, Miss.

Background: As a junior, Moore threw for over 3,000 yards, 30 touchdowns and completed over 60 percent of his passes. He added another 844 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns. The previous year, he completed 52.8 percent of his passes for 2,064 yards and 17 touchdowns.

My take: He has been consistent in saying that he is open to any and all schools. He said the Huskers "definitely" had a shot at him. The problem might be that he has been seeing the schools he is more familiar with - SEC schools. 15 percent chance.

Ryan Mossakowski - 6-4, 201 (4.8) Frisco, Texas

Background: Mossakowski has played quarterback since he was a freshman and has started the past two years. Over the three years, he has thrown for around 6,000 total yards and 36 touchdowns. Last year, he had 19 thrown TDs and 13 of his passes were intercepted.

My take: Although his recent trip to Lincoln was short, it is a definite positive that he had a chance to see the spring game and all of the excitement. He has been making the rounds to see as many colleges as possible and is planning on making up his mind relatively soon. The competition for this four-star rated QB is tough. 15 percent chance.

Josh Nunes - 6-4, 207 (4.85) Upland, Calif.

Background: Last year, as a junior, he threw for 2,105 yards, 14 touchdowns and only five interceptions in 216 attempts. He completed 124 of his passes, hitting on 57.4 percent.

My take: Nunes received his offer from the Husker coaching staff late last month. He said "it was a great honor to get an offer from (Nebraska)," but he has not seen Nebraska and has seen roughly seven other schools. Unless a visit can be lined up quickly, the chances are not too good. 5 percent chance.

Tyrik Rollison - 6-2, 185 (4.65) Sulphur Springs, Texas

Background: Rollison had an amazing junior year. He completed right at 70 percent of his passes for 3,691 yards, 37 touchdowns, and only 10 of his passes were picked off. He ran for another 554 yards and seven TDs.

My take: Right now, Nebraska is shut out. 5 percent chance.

Nathan Scheelhaase - 6-3, 184 (4.53) Kansas City, Mo.

Background: Scheelhaase showed good accuracy last year by throwing for 20 touchdowns and only having five of his passes picked off. He completed close to 63 percent of his 137 attempts.

My take: To have Scheelhaase commit to another school would definitely be a blow, as he is the closest to Lincoln and has seen games at NU, been to the spring game and knows players going to the university. He would have to be No. 1 on the hopeful list. 35 percent chance.

Overall, the outlook on getting at least one top-notch quarterback is reasonable at this time. Of course, the chances are the best with Scheelhaase and, possibly, Mossakowski.

One thing is for certain: You can be looking for more offers to surface fairly soon.

According to our list there are a lot more

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25106

I think most of the missing guys are going elsewhere. EJ Banks is listed as a QB, but is probably an athlete.

Quarterback

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moses Alipate - committed to Minnesota.

EJ Banks - NU offer, but maybe recruiting as athlete?

Matt Barkley - committed to USC

Robert Barry - no offer; perhaps TE recruit

Shavodrick Beaver - committed to Michigan.

Jon Budmayr

Garrett Gilbert - committed to Texas

Cody Green

AJ McCarron - NU offered, but he has no interest

Clayton Moore

Colton Morrison - no offer; can probably be dropped from the list (my bad)

Ryan Mossakowski

Kevin Newsome - committed to Michigan

Morgan Newton - NU offer; but he's not interested?

Josh Nunes

Casey Pachall - committed To TCU

Tyrik Rollison

Russell Shepard - committed to LSU

Tyler Seals - no offer

Broderick Thomas Jr. - no offer

Anyway, the list probably could use some cleanup. Maybe when recruiting heats up again later.

I'd look for Neb to start throwing more offers out. If BC did anything right it was upping the aggressiveness of our recruiting-getting into more guys and staying on the gas when it comes to keeping-up on the kids. Going over some positions on scout.com I was amazed at how few offers we have out and/or are in the running for in some spots(ya I know that somewhat reflects lesser needs, but we still have to get on the radar of more recruits). After camp I'd bet we see several guys new guys offered, including a few more locals. Plus we'll see some during the season as kids show what they can do. But we can't afford to be too slow on kids, establishing an early relationship and being one of the first to offer can get help get you the inside track.

Hard to say who'll we haul-in at qb. It would be nice to pull in a big-dog like Scheelhasse or Mossakowski that would not only help at qb but could set a new tone for the class and help bring other kids in.

I'd look for Neb to start throwing more offers out. If BC did anything right it was upping the aggressiveness of our recruiting-getting into more guys and staying on the gas when it comes to keeping-up on the kids. Going over some positions on scout.com I was amazed at how few offers we have out and/or are in the running for in some spots(ya I know that somewhat reflects lesser needs, but we still have to get on the radar of more recruits). After camp I'd bet we see several guys new guys offered, including a few more locals. Plus we'll see some during the season as kids show what they can do. But we can't afford to be too slow on kids, establishing an early relationship and being one of the first to offer can get help get you the inside track.

Hard to say who'll we haul-in at qb. It would be nice to pull in a big-dog like Scheelhasse or Mossakowski that would not only help at qb but could set a new tone for the class and help bring other kids in.

Does anyone remember Gabbert and the kids that followed him here? Its the same thing you are talking about here, I think getting a GOOD QB should be a high priority for the team and KEEPING HIM!

Does anyone remember Gabbert and the kids that followed him here? Its the same thing you are talking about here, I think getting a GOOD QB should be a high priority for the team and KEEPING HIM!

The Gabbbert deal couldn't really be avoided, we were ousting our HC/recruiting-honcho. Decommits were going to happen. This year we won't have that instability. We may still get a decommit or two but it won't be the issue it was this last class. If we have a good season that keeps enthusiasm and confidence high it wouldn't surprise me if we can go decommit-free.