Player: Jelani Alford

Hometown: Cincinatti, OH

Position: Running back

Height: 5'9''

Weight:167bs.

40 time: 4.5 secs

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Eastern Michigan

Schools of Interest: Nebraska, Akron, Eastern Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Miami (Oh), Michigan State

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Big Red Report: :star

Assessing the talent: A very nice looking running back that is great in the open field. Able to make defenders miss and shows the ability to hit another gear when needed.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 35%

Video:

ECiVodKYyCA

Player: Jelani Alford

Hometown: Cincinatti, OH

Position: Running back

Height: 5'9''

Weight:167bs.

40 time: 4.5 secs

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Eastern Michigan

Schools of Interest: Nebraska, Akron, Eastern Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Miami (Oh), Michigan State

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Big Red Report:

Assessing the talent: A very nice looking running back that is great in the open field. Able to make defenders miss and shows the ability to hit another gear when needed.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 35%

Video:

ECiVodKYyCA

This kid looks to be quick, elusive and pretty tough. Looks like a great HS back. He is small to be sure and that is almost certainly why no big schools have offered. Guys like this are tough to assess. Can he get up to 190 pounds (23 more pounds) and still be the effective, quick, elusive runner that he was at 167 lbs (for if he stayed at 167 he almost certainly would be too small to be a regular back in D1 football --- and if he did get to 190 --- which is still quite small for a D1 back --- if he is not as elusive, fast and quick as before, can he be at all effective? From the outside looking in, it is hard to know what to think. If he has a huge heart and a great work ethic (and only the coaches will know that --- we cannot see such on film) then perhaps he would be a reasonable scholarship guy. That said, he'll need something extraordinary about his character, heart and/or work ethic to compensate for lack of D1 size. Who knows? But if the coaches think he can wear Red than we'll support him all the way.

Still.... should we not wait first for the 6'1' 210 pound back who is as fast, quick and elusive as is Jelani and go from there?

Something is beginning to concern me about where the recruiting seems to be going. We can only do so many risky offers --- and then that should be late rather than early. It seems too early for taking risks.

• 3 weeks later...

If Robinson ends-up staying at rb(can see him moving to safety or LB) taking a situational-back like this seems like a stretch, especially when you consider we've given a fullback a schollie. We'd still be looking for another back which would leave us at four for the class, seems like a lot.

If Robinson moves then maybe taking a scatback isn't a bad idea.

If Robinson ends-up staying at rb(can see him moving to safety or LB) taking a situational-back like this seems like a stretch, especially when you consider we've given a fullback a schollie. We'd still be looking for another back which would leave us at four for the class, seems like a lot.

I think we only got 1 RB last year so 3 might be doable for this year considering how many of them have been playing.

I think we only got 1 RB last year so 3 might be doable for this year considering how many of them have been playing.

I guess Justin Rogers and Lester Ward could count as RBs, but I'm pretty sure they'll be at WR or DB.

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, if he likes Uconn's weight room, well wait 'til he gets a load of NU's! :o:o:o

From Husker Journal:

JUNE 10, 2008. PREP STAR

JELANI ALFORD, RB, 5-9, 170, 4.5, CINCINNATI (WITHROW), OHIO

Jelani has offers from Nebraska, Kent State and Eastern Michigan.

“Running backs coach (Nebraska Coach Beck), gave me a verbal offer in April and sent me a written offer in May.” said Ford, “Nebraska coaches said they will get back to me for a visit, but I have not heard back from them. My dad is supposed to contact Nebraska and see what’s going on.”

“I would like to make it up there (Nebraska) but it’s so far away. I check out Nebraska on the Internet and the campus looks nice.” he said.

“I visited UCONN Junior Day’s and I really liked it a lot. It’s close to home.” said Alford, “I don’t know if they will offer me or not. UCONN has the fifth largest weight room.”

“I do hear from North Carolina.” he said.

• 4 months later...

looks great on film...fast , shifty ...this is exactly the type of RB we really need and has been missing for a while...think people make too big of a deal of his size ( look at jaqquizz rodgers, noel devine just to name a few)....i rather have these smaller shifty type backs with speed and vision....

looks great on film...fast , shifty ...this is exactly the type of RB we really need and has been missing for a while...think people make too big of a deal of his size ( look at jaqquizz rodgers, noel devine just to name a few)....i rather have these smaller shifty type backs with speed and vision....

I agree that this class could use someone like him, but it sounds like he wasn't willing to go more than a quick drive away from home. Nice get for Ball St. and good luck to him.