Weight: 248 lbs.

40 time: 4.8

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, UNLV, Boise State

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Big Red Report:

Assessing the talent: From ESPN Evaluation: Sutton is bigger than you would think. On paper his size is a worrisome issue, but on film he looks to be a thickly built kid who can hang in the trenches. If he truly is 250 pounds he will still need to add some good bulk, but he is a big 250! Has a solid get-off, but needs to be more consistent in his initial explosiveness. Does a good job of protecting his legs. Will flash the ability to come off the ball, shoot his hands, derive power from the hips, and stand a blocker up and hold his ground. Displays good natural strength, but needs to be more consistent in bringing his hands and staying low. Link here: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/...26season%3d2009

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 20%. Look for mid-tier Pac 10 teams to come calling but if we can fend them off, I like Bo's chances if he wants this kid.

• 2 months later...

Kearney Hub mentions him in an (older) article on west coast offers:

Corona (Calif.) Centennial defensive tackle William Sutton has added the Huskers to his offer list. The 6-foot, 250-pounder is up to five offers.

“It is the same as all of the other schools that have offered me. They are all pretty high right now,” Sutton said,

“I know that they are in the Big 12 and they play a lot of good schools. Their fans are highly into the game and they sell out every game. …I think it is one of the bigger offers I have got.

Sutton doesn’t have plans to take unofficial trips this summer and Centennial doesn’t have a bye week, so a trip to Nebraska might have to be made after his senior season. He does have in mind some of the priorities he is considering for each school.

“First, I’m looking at education — what percentage of athletes that graduate at the school,” he said. “And then I’ll look at the coaching staff, the facilities, the players and everything else.”

Sutton feels that his junior year went “real good.” He ended up with 70 tackles, 3½ sacks and one fumble recovery.

“I always make plays in the backfield,” he said. “I was second in tackles for loss and I had about 14. … I got quicker compared to last year. I went from a 5.2 40-yard dash to a 4.9 as my best, and then I went from a 4.6 shuttle time to a 4.2 shuttle. Then, I jumped a 32-inch vertical.”

Besides playing football, he is active in baseball and has a .430 batting average.

Hard to judge our odds. Seems like he is waiting for the Pac-offers to roll-in and half the reason we're in the running is that we're the only BCS-team offering right now. But if we can get him out for a visit and impress we can change from team he has to consider to team he wants to be a part of.

• 2 weeks later...

“I always make plays in the backfield,” he said. “I was second in tackles for loss and I had about 14. … I got quicker compared to last year. I went from a 5.2 40-yard dash to a 4.9 as my best, and then I went from a 4.6 shuttle time to a 4.2 shuttle. Then, I jumped a 32-inch vertical.”

Even before the beginning of fall camp, I've been very interested in DT prospects. We need and will take more in this class. I have reservations that this shorter, heavy guy has a 32 inch vertical. But, if he does. Get his butt in Lincoln! That is atleticism.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From Huskerjournal:

OCTOBER 5, 2008. PREP STAR

WILL SUTTON, DL, 6-1, 255, 4.9, CORONA (CENTENNIAL), CALIFORNIA

“I’ve narrowed my choices down to Nebraska, UCLA and Fresno State.” Sutton said

“I like Nebraska a lot they play in a touch conference. Our Quarterback (Taylor Martinez) committed to them (Nebraska) and he liked it there. He is on me all the time about going to Nebraska. Martinez said he likes the area, coaches and the facilities.” Sutton said.”

“I’m going to visit Nebraska, but I don’t know when. I talk to Bo Pelini now and then. He’s a good guy. Bo has a defensive background and that helps.” Sutton added.

“I like UCLA it’s close to home. I like the campus, I’ve always liked the PAC 10,” Sutton said. “They havn’t offered yet, but I hope so.”

“UCLA coaches said I’m explosive and quick off the ball.” Sutton added

“I went to the Fresno State and Wisconsin game. It was great the fans were standing up the whole game. Fresno is not too far away, I have family that lives up that way.” Sutton said.

“I will take visits these teams (Nebraska and Fresno State) for now. I might visit others. Then I will commit.” Sutton added.

Sutton said he has to take the second part of the SAT in October.

• 2 weeks later...

More from ESPN:

Defensive lineman Will Sutton (Corona, Calif./Centennial) is getting closer to setting up his official visits.

"I'm talking with my schools right now but just need to lock down a date," Sutton said. "Fresno State, Colorado State, San Diego State and Nebraska are the ones I'm talking with the most and hopefully I'll get those set up soon.

"UCLA, Arizona State and Oregon State have all asked for senior film but we haven't sent it out yet. Hopefully that happens soon."

Sutton said he will most likely wait until after the season to take his visits since the team doesn't have any bye weekends during the year.

"Our team is undefeated and ranked No. 2 in the state," Sutton said. "So if I wait until after we're done playing, that might not be until January because the state championship games are in mid December.

"Some of the schools I'm looking at are local schools like San Diego State and Fresno State so I might try and leave on a Saturday morning but right now, I just want to focus on our season."

Sutton = Beast

Why in the heck this kid is not recruited higher is beyond me. I could give a flip if he is undersized. Get the kid up to to 270 and he'll be fine at DT.

Watch the film of this kid at the NIKE Camp. He absolutely abused damm near every lineman he went up against. Kid is severely underrated.

Sutton = Beast

Why in the heck this kid is not recruited higher is beyond me. I could give a flip if he is undersized. Get the kid up to to 270 and he'll be fine at DT.

Watch the film of this kid at the NIKE Camp. He absolutely abused damm near every lineman he went up against. Kid is severely underrated.

Proof positive, I guess, that there's too much emphasis placed on "measurables" and not enough on productivity.

Sutton = Beast

I don't understand why people seem to think DTs need to be 6'3" to be successful. It's all about leverage down in the trench - sometimes height is a disadvantage.

Sutton = Beast

I don't understand why people seem to think DTs need to be 6'3" to be successful. It's all about leverage down in the trench - sometimes height is a disadvantage.

Thats exactly the players Bo has gone after so far. Both of the DT commits we have are right around 6'0". I think that when you are lower to the ground you can cause more problems in the backfield and get more pressure.