Watson on Offense, I-backs, and the Depth Chart

Never takes much to cause a stir when it comes to Nebraska football.

A streamlined offensive playbook provoked chatter this past week, as did a harmless two-letter word. Yep, an “or” on Nebraska’s preseason depth chart caught people’s attention, the one lodged between I-backs Marlon Lucky and Roy Helu Jr.

The “or” creates a bit of intrigue as the Aug. 4 start of preseason drills nears.

View Slideshow

Senior Marlon Lucky is atop the Huskers' preseason depth chart at I-back along with sophomore Roy Helu Jr. Lucky is the Big 12's leading returning rusher and the school-record holder with 75 receptions in a season. (LJS file)

Lucky, of course, is the Huskers’ cover boy on preseason magazines, the Big 12’s leading returning rusher, the school-record holder with 75 receptions in a season, the sure-fire starter at I-back.

“Or” so we thought.

“I think you just look at it this way: Roy Helu Jr. has put himself in position to play a lot of football,” Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said. “He had a great spring, and that’s a good thing for the Huskers.”

Helu, a sophomore, was Nebraska’s most potent weapon on offense during stretches of spring drills. He emerged as one of spring’s biggest surprises after rushing for just 209 yards last season.

Lucky, a senior, didn’t always handle such competition very well early in his career. But he’s matured. He doesn’t mope around anymore. He knows competition will only help him. And history shows that it pays to have two or three or four I-backs in the stable.

So, for now, it’s Lucky “or” Helu as the starter. The Huskers also feature battering-ram sophomore Quentin Castille (343 rushing yards in 2007).

The bottom line is, all three will get their share of touches in a diverse offense.

“I liken it to our I-back situation in 2001 at Colorado, where we had four of them,” said Watson, a Buffs assistant from 1999-2005. “Having Cortlen Johnson, Bobby Purify and Chris Brown, and also a young Marcus Houston — that wore defenses out.

“Man, we had some guys. And I see us being the same way at Nebraska. We have guys.”

Watson was busy Friday preparing for preseason drills. Look for Nebraska’s offensive system to undergo generally minor changes from 2007. Why should it change much? Watson was retained for a reason. After all, the Huskers ranked ninth nationally in total offense last season despite having to shortchange the running game much of the time because they often were playing from behind.

At other times, however, Nebraska’s running game flat-out faltered, regardless of the score. In crushing losses to Southern California, Missouri and Kansas, NU rushed a total of 76 times for 184 yards, or 2.4 per carry.

Nebraska rushed the ball 46.4 percent of the time last season after running it 57.4 percent of the time in 2006 en route to the Big 12 North Division title.

“Philosophically, everybody gets caught up in so many things when they talk about offenses,” Watson said. “But what’s really, really, really, really important is being able to rush the football. If you’re going to be a champion, you have to be able to rush the football.”

In addition to the minor “or” uproar at I-back, much was made this past week about Nebraska going to a slimmer playbook. Watson plays down such discussion — “It’s overblown,” he said — but acknowledged the playbook has been simplified, without sacrificing multiplicity.

“We’re always going to enhance what we do,” he said. “We’re not going to sit still. Anyway, it’s not about the size of the playbook. That’s not important to me. What’s important is what we’re doing to get our playmakers’ hands on the ball. The scope of our offense starts and ends there. That’s how we develop it.

“I have a veteran group of guys. I have a great rapport with them. So I can say, ‘Look, where are we at? Is there too much (in the playbook)? They’ll shoot me straight. I don’t ever want them to tell me what they think I want to hear; I want them to tell me what I need to hear.

“So, I can talk to guys like (center) Jacob Hickman and (guard) Matt Slauson and (tackle) Lydon Murtha and (quarterback) Joe Ganz and (wideouts) Nate Swift and Todd Peterson and Marlon. They’ll say, ‘Hey coach, we’re right on, man, keep pushing us.’ Or it might be, ‘It’s getting to be too much. We need to slow down.’”

It’s hardly ever too much for Ganz, a senior who always gets high marks for having the West Coast-oriented system down pat.

“Joe thinks in terms of concepts; he doesn’t think in terms of (individual) plays,” Watson said. “There’s a difference. Thinking in concepts makes it real easy to learn.

“It’s almost like I’m worried about him getting bored,” Watson added. “I give him little projects: Hey, Joe, tell us what the quarterback’s thought processes should be in this two-minute situation. Just to keep him on his toes.”

If all goes as planned, Ganz will benefit from a talented group of running backs. A strong running game obviously would take pressure off a defense that might need a few games to grow into Bo Pelini’s system. The loss of big-play wideout Maurice Purify shouldn’t be underestimated, though Watson is confident wide receivers coach Ted Gilmore can develop playmakers.

At running back, Nebraska also will have redshirt freshman Marcus Mendoza and true freshmen Collins Okafor and Lester Ward. Perhaps one of the lesser-known I-backs will emerge.

“I mean, everybody knew who Marcus Houston was,” Watson said. “But nobody knew who Bobby Purify was, and he had the best career. Can we have something like that happen here? It has to be proven. But is the potential there? Yeah, it is.”

LINK

“I liken it to our I-back situation in 2001 at Colorado, where we had four of them,” said Watson, a Buffs assistant from 1999-2005. “Having Cortlen Johnson, Bobby Purify and Chris Brown, and also a young Marcus Houston — that wore defenses out.

“Man, we had some guys. And I see us being the same way at Nebraska. We have guys.”

. . . .

“I mean, everybody knew who Marcus Houston was,” Watson said. “But nobody knew who Bobby Purify was, and he had the best career. Can we have something like that happen here? It has to be proven. But is the potential there? Yeah, it is.”

I know Watson is a Nebraska guy now, but still I really cringed when he kept on gushing about the CU players.

. . . .

I know Watson is a Nebraska guy now, but still I really cringed when he kept on gushing about the CU players.

Can't fault a coach for being proud of his players. Even if they did play for the Devil's team.

I'm not concerned...winning is the main thing and the more weapons we have the better. If we can wear down defenses and keep our RB's fresh, then both Lucky and Helu should benefit by ripping off more yards per carry as each of them (+Castille) wears down the opposing defenses. You can bank on it that we will get a "W" or two based on this philosophy alone. Staff knows we are going to be in some tight games and need depth to win.

Well this is good to hear for all of us. Now Lucky can't just sit back and play good and get a starting spot. Now he has to play outstanding and play tough nosed football all the time or Helu is going to be right there. I will say that I hope Q gets his hands wrapped around the football this season. I have alot of hope for the guy due to his bruising running style and freakish physique! :thumbs

Well this is good to hear for all of us. Now Lucky can't just sit back and play good and get a starting spot. Now he has to play outstanding and play tough nosed football all the time or Helu is going to be right there. I will say that I hope Q gets his hands wrapped around the football this season. I have alot of hope for the guy due to his bruising running style and freakish physique! :thumbs

Man I hope Coach Beck has him doing some ball security drills or something, though. If he's third in the rotation or a situational back, I'd have to say that's the reason. Fum-dumbling the football all over the place pretty much makes everything else worthless.

But I do love Q. Can't wait to see him smack some stupid safety around who thought he could play the run.

If he can get over the fumblitis Castille should get plenty of carries, gotta give your "between the tackles" guy touches.

A stick-moving rushing-attack will help the D significantly, keeps them off the field longer and shortens the game. The O needs to protect the D better this season, time-consuming drives and few turnovers mean a fresh D and opponents having to travel far to score. One of the reasons Phil Steele thinks our D will be the #3 most-improved in the country is the O emphasizing the rushing-attack more.

Man I hope Coach Beck has him doing some ball security drills or something, though. If he's third in the rotation or a situational back, I'd have to say that's the reason. Fum-dumbling the football all over the place pretty much makes everything else worthless.

But I do love Q. Can't wait to see him smack some stupid safety around who thought he could play the run.

agree. turnovers will kill a defense real quick.

The so-called "fumble problem" is a bad rap if you ask me. Q does not deserve that stigma. Remember he played as a true freshman. He ran with power between the tackles. He took a lot of tough hits & usually took a few tacklers to bring him down. It's more realistic to understand a player's weakness after they've had a few dozen games under their belt. ;)

As for the article, I undertsand what Watson is saying. Basically guys are going to get the touches, and the best thing he mentioned is finding ways to get the ball to "guys who can make plays". They will to try and establish the run, but you cannot always accomplish that no matter how much you want to. He's still going to throw, so the foward pass is not going away anytime soon. Balance is key.

I think there will be more opportunities for underclassmen then we've seen in the past.

sounds like Lucky better be ready to turn it on........but he should be ready, unless Helu has just passed him by as a sophmore!

You might have missed it, but just in case

ucky is the Big 12's leading returning rusher and the school-record holder with 75 receptions in a season.

Yea but you're right. He really needs to turn it on..