The Niner - greatest college football programs

The Niner - greatest college football programs

By Mark Thomas

College football season is upon us. My favorite time of the year!! Especially since August means I don't have to roll around in the grass in 100 degree weather, wondering if I was going to be employed by the end of the week. For college football fans August means anticipation of what could be for the upcoming season. So let the trash talking begin. I give you…..

The Top Nine College Football Programs–

9 –Ohio State Buckeyes– I know the tradition of Buckeye football runs deep. They've been dotting the "I" for a long time. I can't remember Woody Hayes though. Recent success knocked Texas off the list.

8 – Florida State Seminoles – Dominating the ACC since they joined the conferece in 1992, the Seminoles have won two national championships.

7 –Michigan Wolverines – They have the longest current streak of winning seasons at 40. Losing to Appalachian State last season almost totally knocked them of this list.

6 –Notre Dame Fighting Irish – Thank you Lou Holtz. He went 100-30. Losing their last 9 bowl games is a disgrace. Three National championships since 1970 keeps you around at least for the time being. Charlie Weiss better be for real, or you will be considered the most overrated sports organization in history.

5 –Alabama Crimson Tide– The most legendary coach in college football history, Bear Bryant, keeps the Tide around. With only 2 SEC titles since 1990, many don't even put them in the top 5 in there own conference. 4 national titles since 1970 makes me remember why they're still on this list.

4 –Oklahoma Sooners – They are back in prominence in the Big 12. And if you look at the 18 conference championships since 1970 when Nebraska was the premiere program, amazing.

3 –USC Trojans – 5 national championships and 18 conference championships since 1970. Enough said. Pete Carroll is 11-3 verses top ten opponents.

2 –Miami Hurricanes –The "U". 5 national championships and they played for 4 others. Get used to it. They can recruit in a 10 mile radius from their campus and get the best players in the country.

1 –Nebraska Cornhuskers – 5 national championships and they played for 6 others. The winningest college football program over the past 50 years.

Honorable Mention –

Texas Longhorns

Penn State Nitney Lions

Florida Gators

Georgia Bulldogs

Tennessee Volunteers

I personally love to HATE ohio state , but they should be higher. Mich has more NCs but otherwise have been owned by OSU. FSU had their run in the 90's; if that's all it takes where is BYU or Houston! Texas should be on given their performance in the Big 12 and the SWC.

No argument about #1 though! :cheers

6 –Notre Dame Fighting Irish – Thank you Lou Holtz. He went 100-30. Losing their last 9 bowl games is a disgrace. Three National championships since 1970 keeps you around at least for the time being. Charlie Weiss better be for real, or you will be considered the most overrated sports organization in history.

or?

And the author is not a homer. The article was from a radio station in No Carolina. Unless he's a transplant <_<

If they're talking about the modern age Michigan has no place on that list. Texas should definatly be on it.

Miami seems too high as well.

Modern age = since the forward pass or since this guy was born? Or maybe just the past 50 years since he references that a few times. Michigan has 1/2 title in the past 50 years. Texas has 4.