Fall camp observations

Husker Extra

Two-plus weeks into the inaugural Preseason Camp Pelini, everything seems hunky-dory. Then again, everything seemed hunky-dory in Nebraska’s preseason camp last season, and we all know how that turned out.

The challenge for scribes this time of year, every year, is to sort through the fluff and get to what’s real.

With that in mind, here are opinions, observations and ruminations from several trips to Big Red practices in recent days.

*According to several players, the offense and defense generally have battled to a stalemate over the course of camp. One would think that’s a positive sign for a team that we can agree is potentially very strong on offense but in the midst of an extreme makeover on defense.

Or maybe the offense has issues to resolve.

“There have been a couple days where we really dominated the defense, like in seven-on-seven and a lot of the passing drills,” said wide receiver Nate Swift. “Then the defense comes back the next day and we can’t get anything on them. They’re knocking down balls, getting a pick here and there. It seems like it’s going back and forth each day.”

Said right guard Matt Slauson: “The defense really took it to us a couple days last week.”

* By late last week, Slauson evidently had had enough of the defense’s whooping and hollering.

“So I came out and just exploded,” he said. “Pancakes, left and right.”

Nebraska needs Slauson to elevate his play from last season, when he was hampered by a sore shoulder.

* I have no problem saying NU hasn’t possessed this much depth and talent along its offensive line since at least 2001, when the Huskers played for all the marbles with Dave Volk, Toniu Fonoti, John Garrison, Jon Rutherford and Dan Vili Waldrop. That said, offensive line coach Barney Cotton is pushing his current group to play with a certain nastiness.

*Which brings us to our next topic. Any list of breakout players during preseason camp should start with guard Ricky Henry, a transfer from North Dakota State College of Science by way of Omaha Burke. He’s pushing seniors Slauson and Mike Huff every day and is preparing for serious playing time.

The 6-foot-4, 305-pound Henry was known for his nastiness in high school. He crossed the line at times and was criticized. But he’s eliciting only praise during Camp Pelini. In fact, program insiders say his constant aggression is giving the o-line a harder edge as a group, even an identity.

What goes through Slauson’s mind as he watches Henry?

“No regard for his body or anyone else’s,” Slauson said. “It’s completely inspirational to watch.”

Four other “breakout” players from this camp (in order): junior safety Major Culbert, sophomore I-back Quentin Castille, junior wideout Menelik Holt, and sophomore cornerback Prince Amukamara.

*I still can’t decide which group is more impressive to watch, the I-backs or offensive line. All signs point to a much stronger running game, with a plentiful mix of quarterback runs. Marlon Lucky’s still the leader at I-back, but coaches have to find a way to use Castille.

*I still can’t decide which area on defense is most concerning — the interior line, the mostly unproven corps of linebackers or all that inexperience in the secondary. Anybody else catch that red flag secondary coach Marvin Sanders tossed up last week? Sanders expressed concern about hard-hitting safeties Larry Asante and Rickey Thenarse straying from assignments in search of big plays. With three sophomores and at least one true freshman (John Levorson) in line for major playing time at cornerback, the Huskers are going to need stability at safety. Will it be there?

* Awfully nice to have Ron “No fair catches” Brown back in the fold.

* In terms of sheer athleticism and physical appearance, the true freshmen are an impressive bunch — more impressive than I expected.

* No question who’s in charge. Bo Pelini possesses that crucial head coach presence. The “it” factor was apparent in the spring and even more so now. Believe me, Pelini knew in his heart he was going to be a head coach at some point, and he looks and acts the part.

* Eleven days until kickoff for the big opener against ...

“We haven’t really even started talking about New Mexico State yet,” said Swift, before catching his error.

It’s Western Michigan in the opener (New Mexico State comes to town Sept. 13).

“I’m already losing my mind here,” said Swift, apparently discombobulated by the monotony of preseason camp.

I can relate.

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

Is it August 30th yet :angry:

Lets hope we see Slauson pancaking people left and right on gamedays and I hope what they are saying about our Defense is true. It's great to hear that our Defense is getting on the right track but hopefully they won't feed us all of the crap and come gameday our Defense is garbage.

Work your magic Pelini. I have Faith. :box:restore

lots of positives so far, but you have to be nervous concerning how the DB's are playing right now......they need to keep plays in front of them and forget about the damn highlight reels......they need to play together, NOT for themselves and some glory film.....Pelini needs to correct this and fast or we will get burned deep and often.....come on guys, knock this sh#t off!

lots of positives so far, but you have to be nervous concerning how the DB's are playing right now......they need to keep plays in front of them and forget about the damn highlight reels......they need to play together, NOT for themselves and some glory film.....Pelini needs to correct this and fast or we will get burned deep and often.....come on guys, knock this sh#t off!

Where are you seeing them playing? Or is this based off of media reports or some other source?

Where are you seeing them playing? Or is this based off of media reports or some other source?

the posted article I would guess

our line and RB by themselves should make our defense better. the less time they spend on the field the better. I look forward to seeing us beat teams into submission via the ground attack again....... hopefully that day is not to far off

hooah

All I want for x-mas is a good ol' fashioned running game, punishing the opposing D-line...

our line and RB by themselves should make our defense better. the less time they spend on the field the better. I look forward to seeing us beat teams into submission via the ground attack again....... hopefully that day is not to far off

hooah

All I want for x-mas is a good ol' fashioned running game, punishing the opposing D-line...

I like your thinking. When you can rack up 400+ yards of rushing, two very important things happen.

1. the defense is resting

2. their defense is getting blown the f#*k up

hooah

I like your thinking. When you can rack up 400+ yards of rushing, two very important things happen.

2. theirs defense is getting blown the f#*k up

Thank you sir.

and to add to your points..

3. The play action fly route to the TE that goes for about 40 yds

Not too mention their D line getting demoralized from all the abuse...

hooah

2. theirs defense is getting blown the f#*k up

Thank you sir.

and to add to your points..

3. The play action fly route to the TE that goes for about 40 yds

Not too mention their D line getting demoralized from all the abuse...

And their Cheerleaders & Girlfriends wanting to have Husker Babies