if there are no Blackshirts for first game?

I'd be mildly surprised if they aren't handed out by Friday.

And if not then..Maybe wait until before the 1st big game. (Although..This season they're hopefully all big).

The Pinkshirt idea would really be detrimental to the team.

So would only handing out Blackshirts to one or two players.

All of them get shirts by backing each other up.. or none get them..That's how you build brotherhood.

I am fine with them being awarded after the first game. But the majority of those players who establish themselves as starters after the first game should get them next week. The tradition should not be changed so much that they become a mid-season or end of season award.

I agree, the blackshirts are for the starting defense. If a player has earned the right to start on our defense, then they deserve to wear a blackshirt.

Even if the first game is a mirror of the Colorado game last year?

I see a bigger trend towards long-term growth and re-establishment of identity.

case in point: everyone has been harping on Henry since the start of fall camp, sounds like he may redshirt. Baker Steinkhuler had 5.75 stars coming in, haven't heard a peep about him except he needs more work. Instead of getting to game plans and scrimmages full of fireworks during fall camp, Pelini says they work on teaching the smallest fundamentals EVERY day...

basically, it sounds like the Blackshirts are a work in progress and will be doled out on merit. Just like Captains and playing time. I love it...

When Bo determines that they have earned it, then they should recieve them. Not prior to this weeks game, not right after it either.

When they are playing to the level that Bo expects, then, and only then, should they get them.

The prior regime made a bigger mess out of that than the Maginot Line.

From Tom Shatel:

When asked why he was doing it this way, Pelini shot back, "Why not? What's a Blackshirt mean if it's a symbol that you don't earn? Isn't that the point? Everybody wants to rush this thing. What's the point if you're just going to hand them out?"

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1921

okay, please excuse me if i begin to bogasm here but i have to like the sentiment here.

name another school that puts such a emphasis on one particular squad on their team. tA&M's wrecking crew comes close, but that's just about it.

pelini is treating the blackshirt with a reverence on par with US military's ranger tabs or 'budweisers'. that's a good thing.

if you get a blackshirt, it's because you've earned it. if you keep one, it's you because you deserve it. the criteria *more* that being the first team. it's how you conduct yourself around the locker room, in practice and on the field. best of the best.

blackshirts play hard on the first play, the last play and bring nothing but pain and anguish to the opposing team's offense between the two. they dominate lines, put quarterbacks into the ground and make receivers think twice before going after the ball.

blackshirts own the football; they just let opposing offenses *think* they have possession before the ball is stripped, intercepted or fumbled.

blackshirts are players who every now and again ask themselves, "what would jason peter do?"

blackshirts try to live up to and exceeding players of the past while at the same time provide and example for the present and possible blackshirts of the future.

blackshirts are players young kids wish they could be, what other players try to be and what old men wish they could have been.

it's more than playing at nebraska, it's playing FOR nebraska.

hopefully, we will see some blackshirts this season.

From Tom Shatel:

When asked why he was doing it this way, Pelini shot back, "Why not? What's a Blackshirt mean if it's a symbol that you don't earn? Isn't that the point? Everybody wants to rush this thing. What's the point if you're just going to hand them out?"

okay, please excuse me if i begin to bogasm here but i have to like the sentiment here.

name another school that puts such a emphasis on one particular squad on their team. tA&M's wrecking crew comes close, but that's just about it.

pelini is treating the blackshirt with a reverence on par with US military's ranger tabs or 'budweisers'. that's a good thing.

if you get a blackshirt, it's because you've earned it. if you keep one, it's you because you deserve it. the criteria *more* that being the first team. it's how you conduct yourself around the locker room, in practice and on the field. best of the best.

blackshirts play hard on the first play, the last play and bring nothing but pain and anguish to the opposing team's offense between the two. they dominate lines, put quarterbacks into the ground and make receivers think twice before going after the ball.

blackshirts own the football; they just let opposing offenses *think* they have possession before the ball is stripped, intercepted or fumbled.

blackshirts are players who every now and again ask themselves, "what would jason peter do?"

blackshirts try to live up to and exceeding players of the past while at the same time provide and example for the present and possible blackshirts of the future.

blackshirts are players young kids wish they could be, what other players try to be and what old men wish they could have been.

I like the correlation between Blackshirts and Ranger Tabs.

From Tom Shatel:

Wow!

I might have to print this one out and post it wherever I need some inspiration.

Would it fit on a T-shirt? <_<

hell, maybe we don't have 1 guy on D that has truely busted his ass to earn one yet, this year.....so, they don't get handed out....nothing wrong with that. leave Pelini alone, let him run this show and work it how he sees fit, i would be embarrassed to even ask the question, as to why they weren't handed out....let him coach and decide who and when, that's why we brought him in here....relax folks!

Thank You :yeah

From Tom Shatel:

wipes a tear :worship