Helu needs to start.....lucky is a receiver.

Agreed. No reason to start lucky in the backfield after Helu's performance in these first two games. Lucky is only as good as the line in front of him. Helu has a chance to make something happen even when everything is not picture perfect.

Couldn't say it better...seems Lucky, Helu Jr., Adrian Peterson, Barry Sanders, an icebreaker in the Arctic Circle...EVERYONE running is at a disadvantage behind this line...but if that's the case, and NU has to try to get something going, give it to someone who can possibly make a big play. That ain't Lucky, it's #10. :woo

Helu had a good game, but I don't think Lucky has had a very good oppotunity to show what he can do this year yet. The first two games our opponents have loaded the box, our line hasn't opened the holes. Helu has his size going for him, I think as time goes by Lucky will get his chances too, and the same people calling for him to be a receiver will be patting him on the back for being a good back.

All I am saying is give him a chance.

Nope. Senior. Enough chances. Stars don't mean anything. Done.

Yes, because Lucky *really* blew all his other chances.

Helu had a good game, but I don't think Lucky has had a very good oppotunity to show what he can do this year yet. The first two games our opponents have loaded the box, our line hasn't opened the holes. Helu has his size going for him, I think as time goes by Lucky will get his chances too, and the same people calling for him to be a receiver will be patting him on the back for being a good back.

All I am saying is give him a chance.

Nope. Senior. Enough chances. Stars don't mean anything. Done.

Yes, because Lucky *really* blew all his other chances.

For someone who was 'supposed' to stand out for the last three years...has he?

1700 total yards last year ring a bell? I'm not saying I'm just saying. Name another back in NU history that had that many total yards in a season and got bashed as much as Lucky does. You can't, this kid gets no respect.

Anyway back to the Helu/Lucky thing.

The FB is a waste of space these first 2 games why not play Lucky and Helu at the same time in a split backfield? We ran that out of the shotgun against WM with Lucky and Castille, why not Helu and Lucky?

Castille shouldn't get carries until he learns to hold onto the ball.IMO

I think that Questille should not be in on options. He fumbles too much. He is a great power runner for shortyardage. IMO i think that helu should be in for runs, Lucky for screens or passes, and castille for dives and smashes through the line.

If you start running packages like that your going back to callahan-esque play calling. You would be tipping off the defense on what kind of play your going to run by the personnel you have in the game. Lucky and Helu together would be a better mix :thumbs

At this point in the season I like the idea of bringing a stable of running backs into the game and giving the most carries to whichever is the most effective that day. Today it was Helu, and he got more carries than anyone else. As the year goes on, Helu may very prove to be the best option we have and take over as the starter, I'm just not convinced enough after only two games to say that he should be getting 3/4 of the carries every week.

And whether or not you think Lucky is our best RB, I refuse to believe he's more valuable split wide. Even if you made him our #3 back, he's more valuable there than as a wide receiver.

The power game that we're used to seeing always had a critical position - the fullback. I haven't seen a tough FB lay out any linebackers while paving the way in years. Could be something there. :dunno

After two games I would cut some carries. And unfortunately for Castille he appears to be bulldozing into the line a lot. I would get Lucky 18-22 touches and Helu 12-15 each game. They both can do the job by spelling the other guy. But a different guy in the backfield for three series isnt working that well.

Just some of my thoughts on it is all.

The power game that we're used to seeing always had a critical position - the fullback. I haven't seen a tough FB lay out any linebackers while paving the way in years. Could be something there. :dunno

After two games I would cut some carries. And unfortunately for Castille he appears to be bulldozing into the line a lot. I would get Lucky 18-22 touches and Helu 12-15 each game. They both can do the job by spelling the other guy. But a different guy in the backfield for three series isnt working that well.

Just some of my thoughts on it is all.

Helu should easily get the most touches......Lucky is good only in space, but defenses will expect to see him in bubble screens, etc. he just looks indecisive as a pure runner, even as a senior. so far he sure hasn't looked like the leader he was last year in total yards produced by a back.

Helu is definately the starter from my point of view. Lucky is outstanding out of the backfield for catching ability, but when you need to hit a hole hard he just doesn't have it or a second gear. :dunno

I'll agree he can't hit a hole hard, which is the reason his upside will always be limited, but the few times he does get into open space, he does seem to have a pretty good second gear to me...

Why not put Lucky and Helu in the back field at the same time. Rest them after a couple series and try Castille and Mendoza together for a couple of series. Keeps them all fresh, and who knows what might come out of it. Might find a combo that really works good together, or causes problems for a defense with the changes, during a game. Three of those kids are the future of the running game.

GBR!!!