IS IT ME OR WHAT?

OLDMAN

Showing a lack of respect for one of the most respected programs in the country seems childish.

Anyone that is terribly impressed with what Nebraska has put on the field at this time is living in la la land.

We are a lower level program folks, not worthy of high praise at this time. If someone does not want to spend money on watching a average to below average game it is their right

We have fans calling for the head of Cotton, that in a sense is calling for the the head of the guy that hired him, after two games. Never thinking that it could be a talent problem, only a coaching problem.

Thinking that we have some huge talent base that will rise up and win 12 games this year is a reach. Only the most sheltered fans could think that.

Wanting to see Nebraska football is what I think Oldman was saying. Seeing the game played like we used to play it was a beautiful thing. Maybe more to what we did, not basketball on grass.

Every fan has their right to disagree, but no one has the right to be disresectful to another poster. Some of your posts are bordering on that

I know all of us are on edge, or at least most. Some bought in hook line and sinker that this was going to be a BCS type team. Some of us did not. It hurts when the cupcakes give us a little better game than we thought. In honesty we are just about what I thought we would be at this time. Three weeks we will know what is under the hood. VaTech lost by 5 points to a very good ECU team. Maybe a lot better than most think. VaTech showed better than a West Virginia team that was ranked a lot higher. We have our work cut out for us. Some are just trying to prepare us for the reality of what we have.

The question is can some of you handle three straight losses. I know I can, because I feel we are not as good as the three opponents we must face. I do not feel the talent is there to win those games. But the real question is can the coaching staff do a better job than the previous one and keep thier heads up and move forward with the season. I think Bo can, but he is going to need the fans help on this and a lot more than we gave the past staff. These kids get down on themseleves it is going to be a rough season.

Fighting between ourselves leads to booing the team. Let's nip this in the bud and promise to be great Nebraska fans, even if we are not seeing what we want.

:clap:clap:clap:yeah:yeah

What's the matter, Dave? Apparantly it's okay for all these guys to trash Oldman, but he can't talk back? Is it just because you didn't agree with him?

By the way, Oldman is right...our linemen were recruited as pass blockers. That is how they have been coached and have played for their whole football careers. Run blocking is a whole different set of techniques, and is often better performed by different body types. Just becausse they have "been taught" doesn't mean they can perform as if they have been though 10,000 snaps.

It's okay, Oldman. I'm old, too. Probably have watched more Nebraska football than 25 of these guys put together. Remember Devaney's (he was coach before Osborne, for you kids who don't remember a President before Clinton) first game. I prefer the running game, also.

here we go again.. old vs young debate... does it REALLY matter how old you are to how big of a fan you are or how much you know about a program? Just because i'm 19 doesn't mean i didn't grow up around the program. I lived in Sioux City, IA, and STILL knew everything going on nebraska, i've been around and pretty close to the program my entire life.... but yea, because i haven't been able to physically watch it for 40 years that makes me not as big of a fan.

either way, the statements he is making are those of a fair-weather fan. plain and simple. Just because you don't agree with the offense that is being run, because we aren't winning, is no reason to not like the team as much anymore...

WVU RUNS A SPREAD OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you don't realize what Rich Rodriguez did there, but that is exactly what he did. Spread offense. Check why everyone said Michigan was going to have a bad year... BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE THE QB TO RUN RICH ROD'S SPREAD OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

but its okay, because it worked up there, they had the player personnel, so its okay. They won.

Fair weather.

I haven't watched any of the games since they are PAY PER VIEW.

But I do watch husker highlites on tuesdays with that dork of an announcer.

I personally don't think that the PRODUCT which is cornhusker football is WORTH the price right now.

I want to see a action/adventure and not a COMEDY.

which "dork" of an announcer? Certainly you're talking about the old guy, Fiala? because Kugler is one helluva broadcaster... i don't care what roll you throw him in, he's the best this state has, and one of the best in the nation... you can ask any other guy that actually does play by play or anything around here that same question, and they will tell you he's the best.

I know all this spread offense is the new wave but gawd its boring to watch.

I'm finding myself loving to watch West Virginia and becoming a fan of their team and option .

And since Solich and his Millard North offense (Give the ball to the QB to run 90% of the time) and the down years of Clownahan I think I am losing some of my passion for NU.

I realize we can't go back to the 90's and a power running attack but this spread WC crap just speaks of being a pu&&y type NON-PHYSICAL mamby pampy flag football game.

Now the reason we can't run the ball is the O line isn't trained to run the ball.

Hard to switch over from pass block to the run..................OKAY?

And maybe Shawn Watson is NOT the man to be offensive cordinator.

Since the start of the big 12 we have been slowly sliding back into the pack.

Reminds me of when Penn State joined the big 10.

At one time they were a very strong national power.

Now they once in awhile will get a peak at the top of the conference.

But they will never contend for another national title at least in my life time.

Kind of like my opinion of Nebraska.

We are the Penn State of the Big 12.

How is the forward pass boring to watch? Three yards and a cloud of dust will not help when it's third and long. What throwing QB plus good WRs want to go to schools that just like to pound the rock for a one yard gain? None. If you cant throw the ball your chances of beating good run defenses are slim. I like the offense. I like the balance. The running game will get there. Come on big daddy, you should know better.

Not so fast. In 1994, we played KState which ended the season with a top 5 running D. We started our 3rd string QB, and we had no problem running on them. I don't put either of our first two oppenents in that strong running D category. Quite simply, we have got to get better at pounding the rock. If we don't, we're going to take some serious lumps this season. It's not like this is the first time we've seen an 8 in the box D before. Every team used to stack the line to stop our run. We've got to be able to find a way to run the ball.

Yeah but the 8 man in the box defense is why TO ran the option. The option, if ran properly, creates blocking angles and allows you to beat 8-9 defenders stacked in. Once they started to move back or outside a bit, TO would hit them with power runs up the gut. 8-9 in the box for a standard running game is not easy to beat for a balanced offense. The pass is now what the option used to be.

A run is a run is a run is a run. It doesn't matter whether it's up the gut, or whether it's an option pitch or sweep. It's still a run, and it's still on an 8 man front. Ganz had a perfect option and perfect pitch only to hit friggin Castille right in the numbers and fumble the damn ball. My point about running the ball is just that: run the ball and take time off the clock. In some sort of fashion, we're going to have to run the ball in order to control the clock and slow the games down. If we don't, we're going to take some serious lumps.

OH - MY - GOSH.

Come on dawg, dont tell me you are trying to explain the significance of the run as your staple argument? Because that is a big DUH. Even 5th graders know that.

As for bringing up 1994 and KSU's run defense, how did you feel about 2002 when ISU was shoveling a 26-7 lead in the 3rd qtr against NU on National Television? Tell me you weren't thinking "just run it left instead of right. YEAH! POWER FOOTBALL!!!!1". Or how about Penn State hanging 40 on us the previous week? Run, run, run some more? Of course not, bro.

That my man is looking at a two week span only. I hate to provide the 411 but that's just how it is now days dawg. When it's third and long (like 7 or 8 or 9 yards) you have to incorporate the forward pass regularly.

Obviously running the ball is important. I dont need to learn that today. But play to win bro. Dont play to get a 10-6 lead after halftime to run the clock out the rest of the game. Or run three straight traps into the right guards rear-end for a two yard gain.

I'm pretty sure I understand your emphasis on the run. But that should go without saying. And championship teams these days have to be balance. Otherwise it is all "we take what we want, not what they give" crappola.

We have fans calling for the head of Cotton, that in a sense is calling for the the head of the guy that hired him, after two games. Never thinking that it could be a talent problem, only a coaching problem.

I am one of the Cotton head callers, that being said just because you think one coach isn't right doesn't mean you want the Head guy out. Sorry I'm not a sheep that will just fall in line and except things that I think aren't right. It is alright to question things that doesn't make you any less of a fan or not as knowledgable as people that don't (I know you didn't say any of these things just my thoughts) :koolaid2: "Power to the people", "We shall over come", "Taking it to the streets", "Never trust anyone over 40", "Fight the power", "Donna Martin Guaduates" burning bras, sit-ins, walk-outs man I love America. :moreinteresting

I remember PSU (The Fighting Front Butts were back then as well) as a National Power, I was alive for most of the 70's and all of the 80's. (I'm not a man yet though, not 40) I remember Carter, Reagan, Old Bush as well The President whose morals blew (marriage, who needs marriage?) along with Young Bush and you know what I still like watching the Spread offense over the boring crap ran in the Big 10. Just my thoughts on it.

Do remember when The Cosby Show was a National Power? Compared to the crap on TV today that I find totally boring. (disclaimer aside from The Office) Give me Cliff,Claire,Sandra, Denise, Theo, Vanessa, Rudy, and Bud my name is Kenny over this unimpressive boring stuff today. :dunno

I'm finding myself loving to watch West Virginia and becoming a fan of their team and option .

And since Solich and his Millard North offense (Give the ball to the QB to run 90% of the time) and the down years of Clownahan I think I am losing some of my passion for NU.

I realize we can't go back to the 90's and a power running attack but this spread WC crap just speaks of being a pu&&y type NON-PHYSICAL mamby pampy flag football game.

Now the reason we can't run the ball is the O line isn't trained to run the ball.

But they will never contend for another national title at least in my life time.

WHEN was Penn state a national power? Won't contend for a nat. title in your lifetime? Well, works for me, pull the plug allready.

For most of the 80's..

In the 80s, they won 2 national titles

They do not have a conference...

All time record is 790-347-43 and they strated playing in 1881 (vs, NU at 817-333-41 and 1890)

and they been good under Jo Pa if you take out a stretch in the the first have of this decade

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_i...arly_totals.php

I think you guys have them "better program", but only just by a bit... They have a prety good tradition

Showing a lack of respect for one of the most respected programs in the country seems childish.

Anyone that is terribly impressed with what Nebraska has put on the field at this time is living in la la land.

We are a lower level program folks, not worthy of high praise at this time. If someone does not want to spend money on watching a average to below average game it is their right

Thinking that we have some huge talent base that will rise up and win 12 games this year is a reach. Only the most sheltered fans could think that.

Wanting to see Nebraska football is what I think Oldman was saying. Seeing the game played like we used to play it was a beautiful thing. Maybe more to what we did, not basketball on grass.

Every fan has their right to disagree, but no one has the right to be disresectful to another poster. Some of your posts are bordering on that

I know all of us are on edge, or at least most. Some bought in hook line and sinker that this was going to be a BCS type team. Some of us did not. It hurts when the cupcakes give us a little better game than we thought. In honesty we are just about what I thought we would be at this time. Three weeks we will know what is under the hood. VaTech lost by 5 points to a very good ECU team. Maybe a lot better than most think. VaTech showed better than a West Virginia team that was ranked a lot higher. We have our work cut out for us. Some are just trying to prepare us for the reality of what we have.

The question is can some of you handle three straight losses. I know I can, because I feel we are not as good as the three opponents we must face. I do not feel the talent is there to win those games. But the real question is can the coaching staff do a better job than the previous one and keep thier heads up and move forward with the season. I think Bo can, but he is going to need the fans help on this and a lot more than we gave the past staff. These kids get down on themseleves it is going to be a rough season.

Fighting between ourselves leads to booing the team. Let's nip this in the bud and promise to be great Nebraska fans, even if we are not seeing what we want.

I couldn't have said it better myself...............preach on!

OMFG! Is this supposed 2 be a controversial thread? OLDdude was just sayin' that all these dink/dunk spread--not spr. opt.--offensives r boring. NE is more and more resembling them and there4 boring 2. I mean, NE is trying 2 run, but isn't built 4 it anymore. Nobody-worth mentioning-is dedicated 2 the run anymore, only ARK when they had Mcf. or OU w 'All Day P.'

NE vs FL '95, run can beat the pass. I rest my case.

P.s, I saw the NE/PSU game w Jr Miller, BLOWOUT! :worship

:bonez:horns2:horns2:bonez

I may not be seeing what I want but I am seeing what I expect. Its going to take some time. Patience is what we need. TO and Davaney gave us an incredible 30 year run of wining seasons, bowl games, and 5 national championships. Oklahoma, Missouri, Colorado, Miami, Alabama and Penn State as opponents helped to build the drama and the excitement. A 30 year stretch like that may never happen again after all lots of things have changed. At this point we need to have faith in the couching staff, the administration and the players we have no matter what their strengths and weaknesses are.

GBR!

T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

I guess I find it hard to believe that some of us on here are uneducated enough in CFB history to not realize Penn State is a historical program that was a power and national title contender within the last 15 years.

Those comments make me feel really, really, really old.

I'm only 33, but even I remember the days of Penn State rocking Vinnie Testaverde and the Hurricanes. Now if you want to use a school that I don't remember their glory days, you're going to have to go back further to lets say Minnesota. I don't ever remember them being a powerful program other than what others have said.

I think most have selective memory. No one wants to remember the days when TO lost like 7 bowls in a row. No one wants to remember how horrible his record was against top tier teams before the 93' season. No one wants to admit how poor some of his QB's were (Mickey Joseph, Mike Grant, etc.) No one wants to remember how he let CU score like 21 or some rediculous unanswered points in the 4th quarter to let them win and cruise to their lone NC. Solich takes a lot of heat for the 01' NC game against Miami, but I can come up with a lot more lopsided losses for TO in bowl games.

Now, onto the lighter side:

Coach Pinknel was visiting Bo Pelini in Lincoln and while in Bo's

office,

> the astute Missouri coach noticed a white telephone on Bo's desk.

Pinknel

> inquired and Bo responded that this is the phone that I was given to me

to talk to

> God any time I need to know what to do to win.

>

> Coach Pinknel finished his business and left uneasy, knowing that if

Pelini

> had a phone to God, this would again throw the balance of power in the

B12 to

> the Huskers.

>

> When he got back to Columbia, the Missouri Coach called the phone

company to

> get his own white phone installed and to his delight, one was installed

in

> his office the next day. Coach Pinknel gathered his staff in the office

to

> make his first call to God and upon dialing, the voice on the other end

said

> "Tom Osborne, may I help you?"

Is it me, or are people completely overreacting to NU's offense after watching 2 GAMES under a new staff? This team doesn't exist in a vacuum. The players are left from the Callahan era and his style of coaching. I'm not saying it was good or bad coaching, and I'm not saying they are good or bad players - but it has to be acknowledged that they've spent their entire collegiate career being coached to be something other than a dominant running team.

Looking at Watson's track record, he's not the kind of OC who will spread the field and throw 50 times a game. He prefers to run the ball and run the clock. However, Watson isn't an idiot. If putting the ball in Ganz's hands gives NU the best chance to win the game - then why wouldn't Watson do that? Because of some misguided allegiance to a style of football the team isn't equipped to play? Because that's "how NU used to do it"?

Saying "We used to run against 9 or 10 man fronts all the time back in the 90's" proves nothing. Yeah, it's true, but we also had all-American linemen, running backs, fullbacks and quarterbacks back then. Oh yeah, the program also had one of the greatest coaching staffs ever assembled. If anyone thinks this program has that kind of talent across the board then they're delusional. So why would anyone want this coaching staff to pretend they have the the talent to run into a wall of humanity every down? Because that style of football is more entertaining? That's only true if you're actually winning the game, and Nebraska isn't equipped to do that right now.

In my humble opinion the Western Michigan game was a testament to Watson's ability to adjust his game plan (something Callahan was roundly criticized for) and the offense's ability to execute. If the safeties are playing 5 yards off the line of scrimmage then why would anyone choose not to throw the ball over their heads for a few touchdowns? If you have the personnel and ability to do that, then why would anyone just run the ball and punt over and over instead? Are the rules of the game different at Nebraska? Is it more important to play "the way the game used to be played" than it is to score touchdowns? Is the winner determined by who runs the most time off the clock? Because if it's not, then running the ball into a 9 or 10 man front with this team is complete foolishness.

I can't believe its been 2 FREAKING GAMES and people are already bawling about how we'll never be back on top and we might as well accept our place as the Baylor of the North. If it's really that depressing for you then stop freaking watching.

:rant

How is the forward pass boring to watch? Three yards and a cloud of dust will not help when it's third and long. What throwing QB plus good WRs want to go to schools that just like to pound the rock for a one yard gain? None. If you cant throw the ball your chances of beating good run defenses are slim. I like the offense. I like the balance. The running game will get there. Come on big daddy, you should know better.

Not so fast. In 1994, we played KState which ended the season with a top 5 running D. We started our 3rd string QB, and we had no problem running on them. I don't put either of our first two oppenents in that strong running D category. Quite simply, we have got to get better at pounding the rock. If we don't, we're going to take some serious lumps this season. It's not like this is the first time we've seen an 8 in the box D before. Every team used to stack the line to stop our run. We've got to be able to find a way to run the ball.

Yeah but the 8 man in the box defense is why TO ran the option. The option, if ran properly, creates blocking angles and allows you to beat 8-9 defenders stacked in. Once they started to move back or outside a bit, TO would hit them with power runs up the gut. 8-9 in the box for a standard running game is not easy to beat for a balanced offense. The pass is now what the option used to be.

A run is a run is a run is a run. It doesn't matter whether it's up the gut, or whether it's an option pitch or sweep. It's still a run, and it's still on an 8 man front. Ganz had a perfect option and perfect pitch only to hit friggin Castille right in the numbers and fumble the damn ball. My point about running the ball is just that: run the ball and take time off the clock. In some sort of fashion, we're going to have to run the ball in order to control the clock and slow the games down. If we don't, we're going to take some serious lumps.

OH - MY - GOSH.

Come on dawg, dont tell me you are trying to explain the significance of the run as your staple argument? Because that is a big DUH. Even 5th graders know that.

As for bringing up 1994 and KSU's run defense, how did you feel about 2002 when ISU was shoveling a 26-7 lead in the 3rd qtr against NU on National Television? Tell me you weren't thinking "just run it left instead of right. YEAH! POWER FOOTBALL!!!!1". Or how about Penn State hanging 40 on us the previous week? Run, run, run some more? Of course not, bro.

That my man is looking at a two week span only. I hate to provide the 411 but that's just how it is now days dawg. When it's third and long (like 7 or 8 or 9 yards) you have to incorporate the forward pass regularly.

Obviously running the ball is important. I dont need to learn that today. But play to win bro. Dont play to get a 10-6 lead after halftime to run the clock out the rest of the game. Or run three straight traps into the right guards rear-end for a two yard gain.

I'm pretty sure I understand your emphasis on the run. But that should go without saying. And championship teams these days have to be balance. Otherwise it is all "we take what we want, not what they give" crappola.

Apparently, you never watched Jamal Lord throw the ball. Of course I was screaming run the ball against ISU and Penn State. If we'd have let Lord throw the ball, well then we'd have seen ISU and Penn State give us a similar drumming to the one we sustained to TT in 04'. You were probably the same guy ripping TO a new one for not opening up the passing game against Miami in the NC in 94' right before Frazier threw the INT. The power running game worked then, works now, and will always work if executed accordingly.

To quote a famous coach: "There are three things that can happen when you pass the ball, and two of them are bad." Why throw the dink and dunk 3-5 yard passes when you can just easily run the ball for that amount? When you're trying to control the clock and win the time of possession battle, why risk throwing an INT or incomplete pass?

Back in 1995 before we played Florida in the NC, the news media kept saying that in order to win championships these days you have to be balanced. This is why we were predicted by quite a few to get beat by Florida. Don't get me wrong, you do have to take what is given. If the D lines up with 11 in the box, of course you're going to throw the ball. If they line a 5'6" DB on your 6'5 WR or TE, yeah you're going to throw the ball up top. Thinking that a run first offense can't win in today's college football is naive if you ask me.

Is it me, or are people completely overreacting to NU's offense after watching 2 GAMES under a new staff? This team doesn't exist in a vacuum. The players are left from the Callahan era and his style of coaching. I'm not saying it was good or bad coaching, and I'm not saying they are good or bad players - but it has to be acknowledged that they've spent their entire collegiate career being coached to be something other than a dominant running team.

Looking at Watson's track record, he's not the kind of OC who will spread the field and throw 50 times a game. He prefers to run the ball and run the clock. However, Watson isn't an idiot. If putting the ball in Ganz's hands gives NU the best chance to win the game - then why wouldn't Watson do that? Because of some misguided allegiance to a style of football the team isn't equipped to play? Because that's "how NU used to do it"?

Saying "We used to run against 9 or 10 man fronts all the time back in the 90's" proves nothing. Yeah, it's true, but we also had all-American linemen, running backs, fullbacks and quarterbacks back then. Oh yeah, the program also had one of the greatest coaching staffs ever assembled. If anyone thinks this program has that kind of talent across the board then they're delusional. So why would anyone want this coaching staff to pretend they have the the talent to run into a wall of humanity every down? Because that style of football is more entertaining? That's only true if you're actually winning the game, and Nebraska isn't equipped to do that right now.

In my humble opinion the Western Michigan game was a testament to Watson's ability to adjust his game plan (something Callahan was roundly criticized for) and the offense's ability to execute. If the safeties are playing 5 yards off the line of scrimmage then why would anyone choose not to throw the ball over their heads for a few touchdowns? If you have the personnel and ability to do that, then why would anyone just run the ball and punt over and over instead? Are the rules of the game different at Nebraska? Is it more important to play "the way the game used to be played" than it is to score touchdowns? Is the winner determined by who runs the most time off the clock? Because if it's not, then running the ball into a 9 or 10 man front with this team is complete foolishness.

I can't believe its been 2 FREAKING GAMES and people are already bawling about how we'll never be back on top and we might as well accept our place as the Baylor of the North. If it's really that depressing for you then stop freaking watching.

:rant

Awesome, simply awesome.

Good on ya mate.

:clap:woo:thumbs

OH - MY - GOSH.

Apparently, you never watched Jamal Lord throw the ball. Of course I was screaming run the ball against ISU and Penn State. If we'd have let Lord throw the ball, well then we'd have seen ISU and Penn State give us a similar drumming to the one we sustained to TT in 04'. You were probably the same guy ripping TO a new one for not opening up the passing game against Miami in the NC in 94' right before Frazier threw the INT. The power running game worked then, works now, and will always work if executed accordingly.

To quote a famous coach: "There are three things that can happen when you pass the ball, and two of them are bad." Why throw the dink and dunk 3-5 yard passes when you can just easily run the ball for that amount? When you're trying to control the clock and win the time of possession battle, why risk throwing an INT or incomplete pass?

Back in 1995 before we played Florida in the NC, the news media kept saying that in order to win championships these days you have to be balanced. This is why we were predicted by quite a few to get beat by Florida. Don't get me wrong, you do have to take what is given. If the D lines up with 11 in the box, of course you're going to throw the ball. If they line a 5'6" DB on your 6'5 WR or TE, yeah you're going to throw the ball up top. Thinking that a run first offense can't win in today's college football is naive if you ask me.

I hear what you're saying brotha. I may have taken what you said out of context. Yes running is good, and definitely needed. I agree with you on that.