Annonymous Coach on Nebraskas season so far

"On defense, I wasn't that impressed. They are big up front, but there isn't much of a pass rush. Bo is trying to scheme them up. He's a big schemer. They came at us with a lot of different blitzes and stunts. I think the DBs are average. I will say the kid they moved from running back to linebacker (Cody Glenn) is a player. He's good. I think this defense will struggle to play in space."

Ouch.

Quite frankly, I agree with much of the assessment in this article. A lot of people here think that VT will be an easy win. What they fail to realize is just how much better the talent level is at VT than the other teams we have played. Like he says, we will struggle to play in space.

I think we can pull off a win, but those expecting a blow out have another thing coming. The witch-hunters can burn me all day long, but there is nothing wrong with a little reality every now and then.

Wonder if that was Dick Tomey that gave that review? About what you would expect from a coach that saw that game. That was a sad display for 3+ quarters.

You're probably talking about the San Jose State coach and if so I wouldn't be surprised. That game against San Jose State was an eye opener for us and we came back the next week and proved everybody wrong with our running game and our defense. :bonez

The guy mentioned Cody Glenn in particular. Cody played the most in the Western Michigan game, didn't he? I don't remember him having much of an impact on the San Jose St. game. They haven't played very much base defense since the first game. It might be the W. Mich. coach.

I would say its the SJS coach. Glenn played quite a bit in that game as well as the others. I think he had the biggest impact the first though.

Quite frankly, I agree with much of the assessment in this article. A lot of people here think that VT will be an easy win. What they fail to realize is just how much better the talent level is at VT than the other teams we have played. Like he says, we will struggle to play in space.

I think we can pull off a win, but those expecting a blow out have another thing coming. The witch-hunters can burn me all day long, but there is nothing wrong with a little reality every now and then.

I absolutely agree with you.

You're probably talking about the San Jose State coach and if so I wouldn't be surprised. That game against San Jose State was an eye opener for us and we came back the next week and proved everybody wrong with our running game and our defense.

Yes, he is the SJSU coach. Proved everyone wrong? How so? The Huskers proved they can beat a middle of the pack WAC team by 4 TD's, which they should have at a minimum. They were able to run on an undersized 3 man line and have decent success in stopping a one dimensional team's offense. It was a good game, but I don't know how much that "proved."

It didn't PROVE anything, but I think everyone can agree that was our worst showing of the first three games. As for his comment on the offensive line, I think that changed somewhat when we got Murtha back in there. The comments on the defense were also made with two key guys out (though included one we don't have anymore). No, we're not the Steel Curtain and no one is going to confuse our offensive line with the mid-90s Cowboys, but I like the progress.

Given the pass rush comments, I think it has to be the SJST coach, we had a strong pass rush in the other two games.

I think the pass rush is stronger than he says, but I'll have to agree about our inability to play in space, especially our LBs, but DBs too. The secondary is flying around, but isn't always playing under control, e.g. Murillo made a lot of great plays last week, but he also had a couple really stupid interference calls because he wasn't in control when we were getting a good pass rush. Same deal with West in the first game.

I'm afraid this is a harder problem to fix than most because it goes straight to athleticism. It takes great athletes to fly to the ball or run with receivers at top speed but also be in complete control of their bodies.

It's a stark difference when you compare our play and the Big 12 in general to some of the play by SEC defenses, which clearly have better athletes. Here's hoping Bo can start to amass some of that level defensive talent over the next couple years.

Rivals.com

<_<<_<

talked off the record to a coach who already has coached against Nebraska this year. Here are his thoughts:

"I like the quarterback (Joe Ganz) a lot. He's a heck of a kid. But they can't run the ball. (Marlon) Lucky is good, and he runs good routes. But they really can't run the ball. The line has that mentality of throw, throw, throw (from the old coaching staff). And it's hard to change that mind-set quickly and become a running team overnight. Bo (Pelini) wants to run the ball, but they aren't there yet. It may come after seven or eight games. Or it may not come until the spring. The passing game? They can't just drop back and throw it. Most of their big passing plays come off play-action.

"On defense, I wasn't that impressed. They are big up front, but there isn't much of a pass rush. Bo is trying to scheme them up. He's a big schemer. They came at us with a lot of different blitzes and stunts. I think the DBs are average. I will say the kid they moved from running back to linebacker (Cody Glenn) is a player. He's good. I think this defense will struggle to play in space."

My guess is, WMU's coach said this considering Glenn has played sparingly in the last two games.

Yes, he is the SJSU coach. Proved everyone wrong? How so? The Huskers proved they can beat a middle of the pack WAC team by 4 TD's, which they should have at a minimum. They were able to run on an undersized 3 man line and have decent success in stopping a one dimensional team's offense. It was a good game, but I don't know how much that "proved."

i don't disagree with the running game part... but we had a little more than decent success... our defense gave up one touch down, AND THEY STARTED ON THE 3 YARD LINE... i mean, thats success against ANYONE... LSU gave up 13 to App State, Florida gave up 10 to Hawaii, OU gave up 19 to washington.. i mean, none of those teams may be worse than NMSU, but its still holding them to nothing. so i'd have to disagree on that part...