Bo's Penalty

That call could have gone either way. Its just to bad that the ref had to get in the way of a close game. Would have liked to have seen the players settle this on the field. Some ref's think they are the stars, and want a little attention. This guy was one of them.

All in all, we dug a hole we could not crawl out of. This team starts to slow. Ganz seems to need 15 to 20 min to get warmed up. I still like his fire as I do the rest of the team. No quit in this team.

GBR!!!

My take is a little more philosophical. If I'm a player and I just got flagged for something I didn't intend to do and it's probably going to be the difference between a win and a loss, and I look over to the sideline to see my coach with his nostrils flared, face red, screaming his head off...at the ref, that means something. My coach is fighting for me. He's on my side. He's got my back. And by God, he's going to let the bastards know it.

When a team sees their coach defending them like a lion even when it might have been the deciding factor in a huge ball game, I think you get something far more valuable than what you lose in fifteen measly yards.

I agree with this. I think that every good coach needs to do this, experienced or not. The difference is, though, that the experienced coaches probably know where to draw the line to make sure they don't get the 15 yard penalty too.

Bo will learn. Bo will argue. Bo will get away with it!

Skull-bones

Agreed....... we had plenty of other chances and many other mistakes. Just pointing out that the timing of the penalty ultimately took away any possibiltiy of pulling it out at the end. This was definately not the ONLY reason that NU lost.

I hear ya! Bo's a passinate guy, but some restraint when you are in his position is definitely needed. I still am not willing to throw him under the bus though.

You are right...but consicering the way our "red zone" defense had played the entire game (forcing fg after fg) I think we have a shot. Giving them the back to back 15 ydrs took the wind out of our defensive sails and gave them a ton of momentum.... you are exactly right about if they get a 1st down, they probably score and bleed the remainder of the clock.... a lot of if and buts.....

You are right...but consicering the way our "red zone" defense had played the entire game (forcing fg after fg) I think we have a shot. Giving them the back to back 15 ydrs took the wind out of our defensive sails and gave them a ton of momentum.... you are exactly right about if they get a 1st down, they probably score and bleed the remainder of the clock.... a lot of if and buts.....

Good point that we had been holding them to FGs most of the time, and that would've made it a one possession game.

My take is a little more philosophical. If I'm a player and I just got flagged for something I didn't intend to do and it's probably going to be the difference between a win and a loss, and I look over to the sideline to see my coach with his nostrils flared, face red, screaming his head off...at the ref, that means something. My coach is fighting for me. He's on my side. He's got my back. And by God, he's going to let the bastards know it.

When a team sees their coach defending them like a lion even when it might have been the deciding factor in a huge ball game, I think you get something far more valuable than what you lose in fifteen measly yards.

Wasn't this basically what Gundy said after his rant last year?

stupid on bo's part. I will say that I think it was a poor call as well. IMO at that point in that game bo needed to be naked in the center of the field to get that penalty. its the end of a big game... touighen up. the coach is going to yell at you... thats part of the game. if your ego cant take getting yelled at maybe you shouldnt be doing big 12 games.

that doesnt vinictate bo though either. most people give you a warning or nonverbals to let you know your close to a penalty(or a T in basketball) I think Bo should have known he was close. this is about the only thing bo has done sofar that has disappointed me.

Yes but IMO its apples and oranges.

The call made by the official was untimely, Bo's reaction obviously went too far, and Suh's follow up penalty was a weak moment. The team had scratched and clawed all the way back only to have a questionable call stand in the way of a great comeback and a solid redzone performance on defense. Hey, it happens, what can you do? It was an emotional game and at the end, I was proud of the team.

Big mistake by Bo. You cannot compound a penalty in that situation with another one. It speaks to Bo's passion but also his control and temper. To those who say "it didn't cost us the game", it certainly didn't help, did it? There was no good that could come of that display because the penalty on Suh wasn't going to be changed by Bo's outburst. So, it costs us another 9 yrds, but the bigger picture is that it makes one wonder how often Bo will lose his cool in pressure filled situations. It certainly could have been a difference in this game too...you will never know now.

I hope Bo realizes that he can't do that type of thing and be a good role model for the Husker team and coaches.

As long as Bo is 40 it is ok. <_<

If you ask me it was stupid but we knew he would do it and I'm sure it won't be the last stupid penalty he gets this year.

At least he didn't call a bunch of hillbillies f***in hillbillies because that would have been really bad. :moreinteresting

I know this T.O. never got a stupid penalty like this and his players ran through walls for him. It's not the Nebraska way to get after the refs like that. :sarcasm

What are the odds that if Mizzou ends up beating us and they do so like they did last that Bo will run after Pinkel and cuss him out like Snyder? I say at 60-40. :madash