Am I alone here

Being Nebraska has nothing to do with whether you win or not. That thinking is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Nebraska is not guarnteed victories.

You have to win the games, the N does not.

You have to have the talent to win those games, as our old coaches used to say, its not the X's and O's it is the Jimmy's and Joe's.

I want to win evey game just as badly as anyone, but their is time for common sense. A time to say we need time to learn, to grow and to understand. This that time.

If we win every remaining game, all will be wonderful in Husker land. But if we lose 4-5 more in horrific fashion it will not be pretty here to say the least. The questioning of our head coach has already started, just like it did with BC. We have faced our easiest of the tough games I think. We lost but we played well enough to give us hope that we are making progress.

It is like comparing a Volkswagon bug to a new Mercedes AGM Both have the same parts, the same ideas, but one is a lot better. Not saying we are the lowly VW, but we are not the Mercedes either. Some things take time. You heard our coach yesterday say reality, many, many, many, times. He knows where we are and what we have to do to be where we want it to be. He will get us there, but it is going to take time, I think.

But just wanting to win, saying you are going to win, hoping to win does not merit victory. You have to have the pieces to do it.

I have always been the kool aid drinker, this year I am not. I want them to win, I hope they win, but I am not jumping off the cliff if they don't. But I have always felt if we do have a bad season this year it will affect the fans just like it did the with the last staff. The rumblings are already here.

Saying you do not think a team will win is not being less of a fan. It is using your common sense and stating what you think is fact. Maybe right or wrong, but saying you are going to win because you are Nebraska is lacking in base realism.Those days were around, but then again we never won all of them then either, even with superior talent.

WE all want the same things. But my caution is for the long term. I do not want to see Husker fans up in arms calling for the head of this coach or that coach this year. I want to see this staff get all the time it needs to put together what they deam necessary to win. I think we will be respectable, and after last year that is a major step in the right direction.

But if we should happen to win all the games, I promise I will be just as happy as the ones predicting we are going to now.. And I will eat the crow and honor my bet to keep my silence.

:yeah As upset as I am about losing that VT game, which I really believed we could dominate, I agree totally with your views. I will not stop supporting this coaching staff as a whole, and I am not about to start singling out coaches that aren't doing their job. They are working with kids, and the ones that have been around for the last three or even four years have had poor coaching, we can't expect an overnight turn around. And just because we are Nebraska (thinking that comes from the movie when they say "We are Marshall")...we are not entitled to anything. We still have to put up a talented team to compete, and even then we may not do as well as we once did...parity is here to stay, or at least until they increase the scholarship numbers again to where the bigger schools get all the talent again.

:restore

I understand that this is a “rebuilding” process, I really do. (although in 04 people wanted wins now) That isn’t my problem. My problem is the overwhelming amount of people willingness to accept defeat just as long as the team plays hard or their willingness to be ok with a 6-6 season. What? That is what I think is crap and lame. I don’t get that and never will. I have said I know we won’t win every game that is just a fact of football. However I will be damned if I ever go into a game predicting a loss or saying we have no chance. Once again maybe that is just me. I don’t expect to be playing for National Championships right away that would be unreasonable and silly. But I do expect to beat teams that we are supposed to beat and not come out and make fundamental mistakes and look totally undisciplined at times.

Also as far as the “We are Nebraska” stuff. I threw that out there because that is all I’ve heard for the last freaking 4 years. We should win because we are Nebraska. However what I meant by it was we shouldn’t be comfortable with losing no matter the circumstance. That is what I was trying to point out; because of our history we should not be satisfied with 6-6 and playing hard but losing. We shouldn’t be. If you ask me this is what Pud was trying to say when he said his “gravitate towards mediocrity” thing. He just came off as a tool. But if we have hit a point in our program where we are happy with the things that I have mentioned over and over again maybe we are at the mediocre level. If you ask me that is really really sad.

Another thing, I may have said this already but I’m going to say it again. Just because you are critical of a staff does not mean you want them fired. If you ask me it is scarier to never question anything and just fall in line with what you are told. Like I said maybe that is just me.

I think anytime you are playing at home you have a decent chance, the Oregon States and the Colorado's from last year have proven that. The Big 12 as a conference now is without a doubt one of the top 2 conferences in the nation and any team in this confernce at home can win any game they play.

I think anytime you are playing at home you have a decent chance, the Oregon States and the Colorado's from last year have proven that. The Big 12 as a conference now is without a doubt one of the top 2 conferences in the nation and any team in this confernce at home can win any game they play.

i agree with this guy...even if he is a buffs fan

Come on ...this isn't some big faceless Nebraska conglomerate or corporation. These are KIDS. Sure, they represent the University of Nebraska...but they're still KIDS.

Kids lose sometimes...that's life....and putting a lot of undeserved pressure on them doesn't make winning any easier.

Have some patience and let them learn how to win.

Come on ...this isn't some big faceless Nebraska conglomerate or corporation. These are KIDS. Sure, they represent the University of Nebraska...but they're still KIDS.

Kids lose sometimes...that's life....and putting a lot of undeserved pressure on them doesn't make winning any easier.

Have some patience and let them learn how to win.

Exactly!

I hear what your saying Newearth. Actually what I mean is - I get it. I understand. I have my own thoughts on it as well.

I view all the cats that say 6-6 or 7-5 as a fail-safe. That way, no harm is felt if they do lose 5 or 6 games. Its not that I dont respect what they have to say, because I do enjoy most people on the board. It's just a beating at times to hear it over and over & interpreted as "reality". Die hard fans are supposed to have a good understanding of all teams, but also oblivious to counting their team out as well.

Besides, so many elements and momentum changes can alter the outcome over the course of a game. I'm a firm believer in that. So a few plays here and there can change a team from 6 wins to 8 wins, or even 9.

And vice-versa.

The whole "I said it from the beginning" & "i've said it first" drives me nutz. So what? Quit harping on it. It does not make that person more creditable or knowledgeable if does happen. Or a reality thinker. 9 wins is the bar and it should stay that way.

Credit the other team if the Huskers lose and move on to the next game. Thinking Win.

Until then, hope is alive for me. Yes even though the Huskers are underdogs at home, and Missouri has an amazing offense.

So let's all be fans and go ape sh!t this weekend with a victory over Mizzou!!!! :)

Being Nebraska has nothing to do with whether you win or not. That thinking is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Nebraska is not guarnteed victories.

You have to win the games, the N does not.

You have to have the talent to win those games, as our old coaches used to say, its not the X's and O's it is the Jimmy's and Joe's.

I want to win evey game just as badly as anyone, but their is time for common sense. A time to say we need time to learn, to grow and to understand. This that time.

If we win every remaining game, all will be wonderful in Husker land. But if we lose 4-5 more in horrific fashion it will not be pretty here to say the least. The questioning of our head coach has already started, just like it did with BC. We have faced our easiest of the tough games I think. We lost but we played well enough to give us hope that we are making progress.

It is like comparing a Volkswagon bug to a new Mercedes AGM Both have the same parts, the same ideas, but one is a lot better. Not saying we are the lowly VW, but we are not the Mercedes either. Some things take time. You heard our coach yesterday say reality, many, many, many, times. He knows where we are and what we have to do to be where we want it to be. He will get us there, but it is going to take time, I think.

But just wanting to win, saying you are going to win, hoping to win does not merit victory. You have to have the pieces to do it.

I have always been the kool aid drinker, this year I am not. I want them to win, I hope they win, but I am not jumping off the cliff if they don't. But I have always felt if we do have a bad season this year it will affect the fans just like it did the with the last staff. The rumblings are already here.

Saying you do not think a team will win is not being less of a fan. It is using your common sense and stating what you think is fact. Maybe right or wrong, but saying you are going to win because you are Nebraska is lacking in base realism.Those days were around, but then again we never won all of them then either, even with superior talent.

WE all want the same things. But my caution is for the long term. I do not want to see Husker fans up in arms calling for the head of this coach or that coach this year. I want to see this staff get all the time it needs to put together what they deam necessary to win. I think we will be respectable, and after last year that is a major step in the right direction.

But if we should happen to win all the games, I promise I will be just as happy as the ones predicting we are going to now.. And I will eat the crow and honor my bet to keep my silence.

Now THAT was well said! That's exactly how I feel.

I hate it when fans say, "But we are Nebraska." Oh well crap. I guess we better tell Mizzou who we are so they can just roll over and let us win. Sorry. No one cares how well we have done in the past. No one cares that we are 3.83 time National Champs. No one cares that we have won numerous conference championships. Why? Because that was in the past. It has no impact on how this season will go.

Yes. I am a Husker fan, but I also have to look at the facts and be realistic.

Now both of these posts were very well stated.

I'd add to this the following: the attitude that "we are Nebraska" is really, well.... frankly arrogant. That sense of entitlement is predicated on the false notion that Nebraska fans deserve more than other fans. We don't. In fact, when others revel in NU losing it is usually a result of wanting to thump thos "arrogant Husker fans that think they by birthright deserve a great team every year."

Cy, pretty spot on.

Be happy with what we do, no added preasure from the fans on the staff or kids. That is all I have been preaching since this year began. They need support, both sides and if they get it it will help down the road. A work in progress, better every day every time out, that is all we can ask for.

New you think we have the talent to win most of our games, I don't. I think 7-5 are where we are at. One I though we would lose has come to pass. I truly felt it was our best shot at 8-4. If we win the ones we are supposed to win then I will be happy. This is a much tougher conference than it was ten years ago. And as we have seen the out of conference teams seem to be closer than they used to be.

This is the new college football, a land of parity and tough games. We are down on the ladder a few rungs, but the staff is climbing back out. Be happy those steps are being taken, I know I am. Losing is a part of life, forunately we never saw much of it for quite awhile, we now know how it feels and it sucks. But this team is trying, making mistakes, but putting every ounce of effort in it. Praise them and suppor them no matter the cost.

You say not follow blindly but you say we will win blindly. The more fans that actually buy into the beating Missouri the harder it will be for th staff/team if it does not happen.

You can scream and hope and pray, as I will, but if it does not happen, I will still love them and know they gave the best effort they could. Win or lose, it is how you play the game. Remember those words.

I can see both of newearthhusker and skersfan points. I agree with both of them, while I'm not happy with losing, I can deal with it easier if I see a difference in the team. I don't want us to lose at all, but reality is, it happened, and it will most likely happen again. Is that okay? No, but I'm more than willing to give Bo all the time he needs because I feel he is the right type of coach that we need here at NU and he will eventually get it done. I was never sold on Callahan from the start and he never seemed like a good fit for NU. No one is afraid of us anymore because the past is just that the past. We have an outstanding tradition of winning and having top teams year after year. Steps in the wrong direction took us away from that and it's going to take time to back up there.

Semper Fi Devil Dog

Semper....dog. Hmmmm.... <_<

So anyways (New)...come on. I don't see many people on this site who are satisfied with a loss. I was logged on all day Saturday/Sunday (saw you were too) and the forum blew up with all the anger at the loss. Whether it was the lack of D, Joe's off day or the last minute penalties...we've been griping since that night! I'm ticked at that loss along with many others!

Do we have a chance against 'zzouri this weekend...Yes! Dump the :koolaid2: we're the best D (for what it's worth) that they've played so far...by about 20 spots in the defensive comparison rankings. So let's knock back Chase's worth a little bit. And it goes the same on the other side of the ball. I hate going by stats, but it looks pretty close despite their #3 ranking. So what does that mean? It means that i'll be pissed as hell if we lose. We have the means to win this. I think many of us know that and in no way will be sit back and settle with a loss.

This is our team...I hope that I don't find anyone satisfied with a loss here...cause then I might have to join forces with those Marines to whoop some butt. :o

K, I'm done. GBR!

Losing is not OK. Losing is NEVER OK!!!! Just ask Bo. But what I think people are saying is, I don't think we need to fire Bo if we lose to Missouri.

Actually losing, if you do it well --- with humility, learning from what happened, and doing so in a classy way w/o complaining, feeling sorry for yourself or blaming others or the situation is more than OK. It is life --- it is maturing and it is part of what sports are about. Losing can be great --- or good, or neutral, or bad --- depending on how you do it. Winning can be less than OK --- if you win with arrogance and pride, thinking that you, by virtue of winning, are better than your opponent --- well then winning like that is not OK. Winning can be great, or good, or neutral or bad --- depending on how you do it.

Sports are a microcosm of life and college kids need to know how to both lose well and win well. So too do fans of college sports.