Ganz's Decisions

cmb23

To some degree, yes, Ganz is part of the reason. With his decisions. When he gets pressure & rolls around looking for someone to get clearly open, he has to take it straight up the field for five to seven yards (a positive gain). He has been holding onto the ball too long, buying time, waiting for something to happen downfield. He's hesitating. He's not playing with the instincts that made him a tough football player.

And that's what made Ganz successfull before. A smart, gutsy tough football player that could make some plays with his feet. Something Keller or Taylor couldnt do. He moved the chains or set up second and short, or third and short.

If he has to run a lot, so beit. That alone will put the pressure on a defensive coordinator to adjust or change things up during a game. No matter how ackward it looks at times, he is a dual threat that isnt playing like one. Unfortunately.

Just my thoughts on it..

Obviously Ganz is not off to the start we might have expected after last season. No 400 yard games. No 4 TD performances. Etc...

Also, I am not the QB and we don't see EVERYTHING on TV that he does/doesn't see on the field. But after every game I am left asking the same questions...

1. Are our receivers not getting open or is Joe having trouble seeing the routes develop? Why is it taking so long?

2. Is it just me or does he many times flush himself out of the pocket even if there is no pressure coming? I understand that he may not be the best pocket passer, but running away from your line/protection on nearly every play can't be by design.

3. Um...THROW THE FRIGGIN' BALL AWAY!!!! And when I say 'AWAY' I mean out of bounds....not flipping it carelessly to a linebacker!

Ok.....discuss....

He does recognize some of those plays are his fault and very stupid mistakes. I think given more experience he would rectify allot of those issues. Unfortunately, we don't have allot of time.

His Postgame Here: http://www.ketv.com/video/17627387/index.html

You can tell this loss REALLY REALLY hit him hard. He kind tears up when the reporter asks him how he's taking it.

I'm not sure any team can get their recievers open within 3 seconds. Fault: O-line

Mizzou, TTech and a lot of other teams can get their WR's open and quick, so why can't we? Yes the O-line has been an issue, but if they can't protect that long then run plays where they don't have to. What happened to the quick slants we ran last year? Soemtimes I think the designed pass plays just take way too long to develop.

I am not a full fledge Ganz homer, but am not willing to completely throw him under the bus. First off, as some one previously brought up is that there is really no alternative. Previous recruiting busts and runaways, as well as no one else has been developed enough for the coaches to put in a game to see if they can produce has put us in this position. That opens a whole new can of worms right there. Maybe giving your #2 QB(Witt or whomever) a series regardless of the score wouldn't hurt. It didn't seem to troubling for Chase getting those series behind Brad Smith back when he was a freshman.

Secondly our line is pitiful. I hope all the fans wearing the scarlett glasses are finally starting to realize this. The running game is MIA and the pass pro has been declining as competition is getting better. Watch a game and there are more and more red jerseys with high numbers standing around not blocking a soul.

Third Ganz tries to make up for said line issues and lack of running game by "making plays." His problem here lies that he tunnel visions his escape throw and usually ends up forcing the issue. Ganz needs to get out of the pocket more. He isn't the tallest QB out there which plays a part probably of him missing WR's running down the field open, and they are there. As long as the line struggles I believe Joe will as well.

I want nothing but the best for the Skers year in and out, but this will probably be a common discussion from here on out. I WANT these problems to go away, but can't see it happening soon. I love the effort exerted by the players and believe this is the right staff so I believe they will pull off a game where we "probably should lose."

Obviously Ganz is not off to the start we might have expected after last season. No 400 yard games. No 4 TD performances. Etc...

Also, I am not the QB and we don't see EVERYTHING on TV that he does/doesn't see on the field. But after every game I am left asking the same questions...

1. Are our receivers not getting open or is Joe having trouble seeing the routes develop? Why is it taking so long?

2. Is it just me or does he many times flush himself out of the pocket even if there is no pressure coming? I understand that he may not be the best pocket passer, but running away from your line/protection on nearly every play can't be by design.

3. Um...THROW THE FRIGGIN' BALL AWAY!!!! And when I say 'AWAY' I mean out of bounds....not flipping it carelessly to a linebacker!

Ok.....discuss....

You are right. All of the above. he doesnt have the recievers nor is he the qb that some thought he was. i think he has happy feet and is not patient. Swift and petersen would not start on any top 25 program. they would not be the "go to" guys like they are here. We have a large lack of talent on this team and it was obvious here last saturday night. we have alot of recruiting to do and we can all thank bill callahan for all of this!

Don't be hasty, gang.

Joe Ganz is a better quarterback than Sam Keller. He has great footwork, a rocket arm, serious competitive chops and can check off the whole field quickly, which he has to do given his o-line and an increasingly one-dimensional offensive scheme. He can run the ball and take a hit better than most pure passers out there.

A lot of things aren't working as hoped, but it's not Joe Ganz. I don't think Pelini and Watson were planning on him throwing 450 yards in a losing effort he did last year.

I think we're wasting the senior season of one of our best quarterbacks in years. And Joe Ganz looks more like a pro prospect than Sam Keller did, though he's easily lost in a year of top-shelf Big 12 QBs.

Joe Ganz is not a very good pro prospect at all. Look at the interceptions he throws, they are because he does not see the field. I did not like Keller last year and he had all sorts of issues from throwing motion to reading the defense. Ganz is not one of our best qbs in years either. I would take Zac Taylor over Keller, or Ganz. At least with Zac Taylor at quarterback you felt that there was some chance of him moving the football in key situations. i.e. the game in College Station his last year here.

And Joe Ganz looks more like a pro prospect than Sam Keller did, though he's easily lost in a year of top-shelf Big 12 QBs.

Joe's not a pro prospect for the same primary reason Chase Daniel isn't: height. The biggest O-linemen end up in the NFL and the QB is under center. Neither would be able to see squat. Neither Joe nor Chase have outstanding arm strength either.

Chase may stick with an NFL team because of his accuracy and leadership, but Joe is a huge longshot.

I liked Zac Taylor a lot, but I think you may be viewing him with the warm haze of remembrance that comes from a team that could occasionally run the ball, stop an opponent on third down and win a key game.

Mr. Chamberlain, comeon man, you are the epitomy of ROSE COLORED GLASSES. If i can quote from earlier, you said Ganz has "a rocket arm". please man, if you like ganz fine, if you want to defend him fine, but do it honestly. Ganz has a pop gun arm not a rocket arm. in fact his arm is worse than Spano, Witt, and Lee for sure. He is a below avg runner and a sub par decision maker. Keller, while not great, was a better QB in the purest sense of the word. Keller got invited to the Combine, Ganz will not, period.

I dont question Bo, but i am curious as to why, when bo arrived, he said all positions are open for competition except QB. I for one think that we have better talent and better players and better gamers sitting on the bench, but Joe is a senior, therefore he is going to play. Fine, just give the backup a series or 2 to get some reps for next year.

In regards to the Backup, i hear Lee is slowly but surely overtaking Witt. It seems the more he learns the offense the more his overwhelming ability is coming together. Play Lee a series in the first half and a series in the second half. If by chance we get into a situation like the last 2 games where our QB is playing like doodoo and Lee seems to have his feet under him, leave him in.

Ganz does not get a pass at all. Our line has sucked, our running game has sucked, but so has Joe

And Joe Ganz looks more like a pro prospect than Sam Keller did, though he's easily lost in a year of top-shelf Big 12 QBs.

Joe's not a pro prospect for the same primary reason Chase Daniel isn't: height. The biggest O-linemen end up in the NFL and the QB is under center. Neither would be able to see squat. Neither Joe nor Chase have outstanding arm strength either.

Chase may stick with an NFL team because of his accuracy and leadership, but Joe is a huge longshot.

During the game, the announcers stated that NFL scouts had Chase listed as the #7 QB in the draft. The only QB they could really even compare him to was Brees at NO. He'll probably be a perennial backup his NFL career. I don't think Ganz has any shot at all. If nothing else, his INT to TD ratio will scare most off. As good as the Big 12 QB's are this year, I'm not sure I'd give many/any of them much of a chance at the next level of making big noise.

During the game, the announcers stated that NFL scouts had Chase listed as the #7 QB in the draft. The only QB they could really even compare him to was Brees at NO. He'll probably be a perennial backup his NFL career. I don't think Ganz has any shot at all. If nothing else, his INT to TD ratio will scare most off. As good as the Big 12 QB's are this year, I'm not sure I'd give many/any of them much of a chance at the next level of making big noise.

I think Bradford has a good chance to play in the NFL. Other than that i would have to agree with you. The Big 12 has several really good "college" QB's but very few if any NFL level QB's.

7th best QB could mean 6th or 7th round

I think Bradford has a good chance to play in the NFL. Other than that i would have to agree with you. The Big 12 has several really good "college" QB's but very few if any NFL level QB's.

7th best QB could mean 6th or 7th round

ESPN The Magazine has an article coming out to the effect that Daniel might win the Heisman and his backup, Chase Patton might win the Superbowl. Patton is 6'5" and was one of the most highly recruited QB's in the country a few years back.

2921349421_876d427b91.jpg

Joey has a huge heart. He has talent, but unfortunately not enough to put the team on his shoulders as he has tried to.

He doesn't have enough experience, either.

I love the kid, and am glad that we have him.

BUT, Spano or Green are gonna make us forget him...IMO. Well, not forget, but not necessarily remember him like we do other past NU QB's.