Something to think about - players reading message boards

Can I come to your place of work with a couple hundred other people and criticize you and how you do your job...every day and see how you handle it? I think you would not like that very much, and we probably wouldn't know anything about your job most likely, just like you don't know every detail of what their job is on the field for every play. I think you have to kind of cut a break, unless they do something or say something that warrants criticism. If they were THAT good, they would already be in the NFL.

Your point about coming to somone's place of work and criticizing them to their face is nowhere in the same ballpark. Think it through. Last time I checked Huskerboard.com is not where they 'do their job' and go to work. That is on the field. This is a place that they have to ACTIVELY seek out and sift through the hundreds of threads and thousands of comments to find something out.

Also, even if they are 'that good' they can't leave until after their junior year (scholastically) of college. Correct? And to my knowledge most of the criticism on this team is to Juniors and Seniors (dare I say 4th or 5th year players). Yeah...21, 22, 23...I'm pretty sure most are considered men by that point.

Quit treating these guys like they are parapalegics wrapped in a sterile bubble. I re-state my point that if they are so willing to accept all the glory, accolades, free education and 'perks' that come with the job (and yes, it is a job.....shocker.....college football is a business today) then they can listen to all of us who are fed up with the performances if they choose to 'stumble' across the website and happen to find their name as the title of a thread.

If they can be on national TV and point to the stands and pound their chest when scoring a TD when down by 35 points (yes I'm speaking of Menelik Holt) or get up and stomp their feet and flip the ball after a 4 yard gain (Was that Marlon Lucky's longest run of the nite?).....and then want to spend their spare time actively seeking out and lurking around boards to see what people are saying about them then WE HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO TELL THEM WHAT WE THINK!

cmb23= right on both points.

The idea we shouldn't say what we want on an internet board because a player might be reading is weak.

If you are a player reading this go do your homework!!!

and block better in the run game!

and call your mother once in a while, she misses you!

and quit losing your reciever in coverage!

and that hotty giving you the eye in your first class is dangerous, watch out!!

and cut down on the penalties!

and tackle better!

and stay out of trouble!

and GBR!!!!

The hole point of posting on here is to say what you feel! (And or antagonize people :P ) Why should we self censor? Say what you feel, and don't be surprised that not everyone agrees with you! :o

I for one hope that any player that might be reading the inevitable criticism after these last few losses. Wouldn't be thin skinned enough to let it effect their play.

Seriously, it's just a message board guys, not Sports Center!

As a guy standing on the sidelines, I'm going to let you all on a little secret....the players don't really have a lot of nice things to say about the fans either...unless you happen to have a huge set of breasts...and even then what they have to say about you isn't exactly what I would call "nice"...

So, until you get invited down to the sidelines to listen in on what the players really think about you, I wouldn't worry about what we have to say about them on a message board.

I heard this on the pregame radio intro Saturday afternoon (Matt Davison?). He said the players actually do have time to read what is being posted on message boards despite what the coaches do to try and have them focus on what they are are trying to get across to them on the practice field and film room.

If this is true...and let's make an assumption it IS true...shouldn't the posts calling out individual players be framed differently? Or maybe our posts be a little more motivational? How do we address 18 - 21 year old student athletes in the way we post.

Food for thought.

Apparently, you were never in the military. Some of the things said by drill sargeants isn't exactly motivational. What about the 18-23 year olds that don't go to college and enter the workforce right out of high school. Do you think they don't get blasted by supervisers and co-workers? If you ask 99% of 18 year old males if they think they're a man, they will say yes. If they're men, then a little criticism won't hurt them. I'd be willing to bet when Bo is in their face they take more of a chewing than they ever have here. Even high school players sometimes take more criticism than a lot of what is said on here.

Some of these kinds of threads takes me back ten years or so to 1997-98 just before Stoops was hired at OU. In the chat rooms and OU fan boards of the day the frustration was palpable, and folks were calling out Blake, the entire coaching staff, and various players.

Then some well-meaning savant would come along and say "OMG the players are reading this they're going to lose every game left in the season because of what some anonymous somebody posted on a message board pleeeeze stop!!!!!11"

It was nonsense then when posted by a despondent OU fan in 1998, and it's nonsense now when said by a Nebraska fan on your board. Folks, listen up: frustrated fans are going to blow off steam. A forum like this is the perfect place for it, and asking them to bury their frustrations and only post nice ON AN ANONYMOUS MESSAGE BOARD is really kind of silly.

The players of your team are not sitting around the locker room reading your internet posts, guys. And even if they are, so what? These are big, tough college football players, not tender little Miss Moppets who are going to faint in a swoon when they read some critical comment on a message board by a fan somewhere.

"Dialing it down" is appropriate at the office or similar such places, but this board should be the very place where fans express their frustrations. It gives fans of your team a place to vent their frustrations at some of the problems your team has faced the last couple of years. Trust me, I've been there in the nineties with OU, and know exactly how you feel.

Nebraska is a storied program, and you will be back. In the meantime, the net nannies need to lay off folks who are simply disappointed at some of things going on with Cornhusker football. They have every right to vent. Carry on.

Some of these kinds of threads takes me back ten years or so to 1997-98 just before Stoops was hired at OU. In the chat rooms and OU fan boards of the day the frustration was palpable, and folks were calling out Blake, the entire coaching staff, and various players.

Then some well-meaning savant would come along and say "OMG the players are reading this they're going to lose every game left in the season because of what some anonymous somebody posted on a message board pleeeeze stop!!!!!11"

It was nonsense then when posted by a despondent OU fan in 1998, and it's nonsense now when said by a Nebraska fan on your board. Folks, listen up: frustrated fans are going to blow off steam. A forum like this is the perfect place for it, and asking them to bury their frustrations and only post nice ON AN ANONYMOUS MESSAGE BOARD is really kind of silly.

The players of your team are not sitting around the locker room reading your internet posts, guys. And even if they are, so what? These are big, tough college football players, not tender little Miss Moppets who are going to faint in a swoon when they read some critical comment on a message board by a fan somewhere.

"Dialing it down" is appropriate at the office or similar such places, but this board should be the very place where fans express their frustrations. It gives fans of your team a place to vent their frustrations at some of the problems your team has faced the last couple of years. Trust me, I've been there in the nineties with OU, and know exactly how you feel.

Nebraska is a storied program, and you will be back. In the meantime, the net nannies need to lay off folks who are simply disappointed at some of things going on with Cornhusker football. They have every right to vent. Carry on.

YOU DAMN

Skippy%20Peanut%20Butter%20Creamy,%20500g%20bott.jpg

HAVE A SAFE TRIP AND KICK SOME TAIL!

HUSKERS VS THE WORLD THIS SATURDAY!

GET JACKED UP!

BEAT TECH!

GO BIG RED!

10 year old kids in other nations are considered grown up and work like adults.

Our country is the only one that coddles our youth and tries to extend their childhood way past puberty.

These players were "Men" before they graduated high school.

Like others have said they are out in the real world now.

Take it like a man or cry like a baby.