Menelik Holt

Huskers say Holt is worth hype

BY JON NYATAWA

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Menelik Holt caught a 20-yard pass in the end zone for the first touchdown of his career on Saturday - only there was no time left on the clock and the Huskers were on the wrong end of a 52-17 blowout.

They weren't exactly the best circumstances for Holt to celebrate the accomplishment.

"It felt weird the way it came," he said. "It wasn't by any means one of those touchdowns you really want because of the score.

"But I'm glad I got a feel for it. At least I got one. Hopefully I can find my way there more often."

His teammates say to just give it time.

Senior Todd Peterson saw flashes of Holt's true potential on Saturday on more occasions than just the final play. Holt caught four other passes for 47 yards, and two of those kept drives alive on third down.

"The more experience, the more plays he makes and the more he gets those types of things under his belt, you're just going to see him grow," Peterson said. "We all have confidence in him to make those plays."

Holt is finally playing a substantial role within the Nebraska offense, serving as the team's third option at wide receiver behind two seniors, Peterson and Nate Swift.

But Holt likes to think that he brings something a little different.

He's often left by himself on his side of the field. He's the lone wide receiver blocking on outside runs, and he's the player who has to make the tough catches - the ones where one defender hangs all over you while another waits to deliver a crushing hit.

In all aspects, it's still an adjustment for Holt, who didn't pick up his first collegiate catch until Nebraska's ninth game of the 2007 season.

Things that sound simple, like reacting to the scrambling ability of senior quarterback Joe Ganz, aren't always easy, Holt said. Ganz has a tendency to keep plays alive longer than expected. And as a receiver, you can't just watch.

"Once you're on the field in a game . . . the coaches don't just blow the whistle when they see something they don't like," Holt said. "You have to get used to the scrambling, get used to running routes. And you really have to be in a certain place where you're expected to be."

Holt got a little lost on a third-down play during the third quarter on Saturday.

He accidentally stepped out of bounds before catching a 12-yard pass and got called for an illegal touching penalty, turning a first down into a punting situation for the Huskers.

But had he taken his eyes off Ganz and glanced at the sideline, he wouldn't have had a chance to catch the pass, he said. He's not going to dwell on the penalty, but he knows that he has to have better field awareness, especially in those types of situations.

"I was trying to get open, trying to make a play," he said. "Things like that are kind of heartbreaking when you're trying to keep the drive going. . . . That's a play that we needed."

Holt should have more chances as the season progresses.

Through five games, he's third on the team with 13 catches for 170 yards, although most of his production came against Missouri and Western Michigan.

The coaching staff always asks for more consistency. And Peterson thinks that's coming from Holt, based on his game last week.

"He's a good athlete who can make plays," Peterson said. "I think you're going to see that more and more."

I agree we have the talent on recieving we just need to utilize it more. I would love to see some more pass's throw to Holdt and Paul. I think both of them will make some great plays. Swift and Peterson are the go to guys right now, but I think Holt and Paul will only get better as the season goes on and will have 4 threats in the passing game to make it a little more difficult for the defences to key in on are playmakers when we have more then just a couple Ganz likes to throw to. Also I know Lucky isn't the greatest rusher but he can catch the ball and if we throw him in on some pass plays we have 4-5 recievers out there Ganz can choose from.

Throw the ball more.

It's our only weapon. Ganz in the shotgun, Swift, Pederson, Holt, McNeill and Paul being the main options. Lucky out of the backfield as last resort.

Wow, I hope you're kidding. If not, it will be interesting to see whether OU's offense or defense scores more points against us.

Throw the ball more.

It's our only weapon. Ganz in the shotgun, Swift, Pederson, Holt, McNeill and Paul being the main options. Lucky out of the backfield as last resort.

Wow, I hope you're kidding. If not, it will be interesting to see whether OU's offense or defense scores more points against us.

Why would I be kidding?

What have you seen work so far this year? Misc. passes, mostly out of play action. Well, you need a running game for play action to keep working, and that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon. So why not put Ganz in the shotgun and have him start throwing some more medium routes? I'm not saying go deep.

We're going to turn the ball over and struggle no matter what we f'ing do, so we might as well play to the strengths of our players. Something's got to be done. What does your brilliant football mind have to offer, chief?

Throw the ball more.

I think McNeill could do well lined up in the slot (ala Dallas Clark). He could prolly cause some mismatches (quicker than LBs and bigger than safeties).

Holy crap Peterson should be a coach!!! He gets it

"The more experience, the more plays he makes and the more he gets those types of things under his belt, you're just going to see him grow," Peterson said.

This could also be applied to our young secondary as well. :thumbs

Throw the ball more.

Why would I be kidding?

What have you seen work so far this year? Misc. passes, mostly out of play action. Well, you need a running game for play action to keep working, and that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon. So why not put Ganz in the shotgun and have him start throwing some more medium routes? I'm not saying go deep.

We're going to turn the ball over and struggle no matter what we f'ing do, so we might as well play to the strengths of our players. Something's got to be done. What does your brilliant football mind have to offer, chief?

completely agree....all of our back can catch relatively well and we have some receivers with good hands just not the fastest, throw short passes out of the gun and mix in a run every once in a while (every 4-5 plays). 5-10 yd passes gives us a much better chance to move the ball at a not so fast but not too slow pace. our receivers have better hands than our RBs have eyes so lets get them both in the open and watch the offense take off!