Turnovers I mean Takeaways

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2008/1...2c490722180.txt

We will continue to struggle if we don’t start getting some turnovers, wait I mean takeaways. This team is no better this year at forcing them then they were last year which I find very disturbing. When you only have 5 Int’s and 2 are from DL you are in trouble. We are 92nd in the nation in Turnover Margin and that is ridiculous if you ask me. Hopefully we will get some the next few games and not turn it over ourselves, although we are good for an Int. every game. I just thought that since Bo stressed this during the Spring and Fall that we would see better results.

Takeaways usually always come when your front 4 hits the QB. Whether that be sacks, harassing him to throw bad balls etc. Constant pressure.

NU's D-line is the best unit on the defense, but when your D-tackle is your best pass rusher usually you got problems. Add that to a green secondary playing within a new system and playing in a passing conference=not good.

Taylor from VaTech was sacked once early in the game, the rest nothing. No turnovers.

Daniel from Mizzou was hit once by Potter, the rest of the game nothing. No turnovers.

Harrell from Tech, same thing. Was he even hit?? No turnovers.

The college game, for many teams and I consider NU to be in with this bunch, is about the team that screws up the least. Meaning the teams that have the less turnovers, less penalties usually wins the game.

If NU continues to lose the turnover/penalties battle the second half of the season I don't see many Ws left. This team, most teams aren't good enough to overcome these basic elements.

It's hard for a secondary to get turnovers when they are doing all they can to just stay in position and execute correctly. You're not going to see this secondary get any INTs unless it hits them in the jersey because they are NOT going to jump routes. They are still way too green in this defense to make those kinds of plays.

It is still the talent/experience issue.

Man I hope they start doing something right for you newearth, you are the biggest downer on this board. Nothing seems to satisfy you.

Winning college football games is not a switch you turn on and off. It takes time to develop talent, give it confidence to grow and understand what they expect.

These kids are not the most talented playrs on the field, they are not the fastest, and they are learning more than the average kid that has grown up in a system. All new, with new coaches in new responsibilities.

You have to give it time. We just wanted to see improvement this year, we are seeing that. We have taken to ranked teams to the final minutes of the game. Last year they were automatic blow outs.

Patience grass hopper.

It is still the talent/experience issue.

Man I hope they start doing something right for you newearth, you are the biggest downer on this board. Nothing seems to satisfy you.

Winning college football games is not a switch you turn on and off. It takes time to develop talent, give it confidence to grow and understand what they expect.

These kids are not the most talented playrs on the field, they are not the fastest, and they are learning more than the average kid that has grown up in a system. All new, with new coaches in new responsibilities.

You have to give it time. We just wanted to see improvement this year, we are seeing that. We have taken to ranked teams to the final minutes of the game. Last year they were automatic blow outs.

Patience grass hopper.

No f'ing sh#t.

I think the biggest reason we're not getting takeaways is because of the strength and conditioning. I remember even 20+ years ago my dad always said anytime there's a fumble 90+ percent of the time we'd get the ball because of the strength of our team. Talent doesn't have anything to do with this. We were even getting the fumbles against teams in bowls that were kicking our tails. I'm of the opinion that we have the talent, but we just don't have the strength. This is why we're getting pushed around in the trenches. Blocking is more technique, but it is also strength. Last year, we were a soft team. This year, we're more of a lean team. Hopefully next year, we're a lean; fast; and strong team.

I think the biggest reason we're not getting takeaways is because of the strength and conditioning. I remember even 20+ years ago my dad always said anytime there's a fumble 90+ percent of the time we'd get the ball because of the strength of our team. Talent doesn't have anything to do with this. We were even getting the fumbles against teams in bowls that were kicking our tails. I'm of the opinion that we have the talent, but we just don't have the strength. This is why we're getting pushed around in the trenches. Blocking is more technique, but it is also strength. Last year, we were a soft team. This year, we're more of a lean team. Hopefully next year, we're a lean; fast; and strong team.

getting fumbles is simply about having a lot of players in on the tackles so that one or more of them can hit at the ball to knock it loose. having team speed is a more important trait to allow this IMO.

Takeaways usually always come when your front 4 hits the QB. Whether that be sacks, harassing him to throw bad balls etc. Constant pressure.

NU's D-line is the best unit on the defense, but when your D-tackle is your best pass rusher usually you got problems. Add that to a green secondary playing within a new system and playing in a passing conference=not good.

Taylor from VaTech was sacked once early in the game, the rest nothing. No turnovers.

Daniel from Mizzou was hit once by Potter, the rest of the game nothing. No turnovers.

Harrell from Tech, same thing. Was he even hit?? No turnovers.

The college game, for many teams and I consider NU to be in with this bunch, is about the team that screws up the least. Meaning the teams that have the less turnovers, less penalties usually wins the game.

If NU continues to lose the turnover/penalties battle the second half of the season I don't see many Ws left. This team, most teams aren't good enough to overcome these basic elements.

We sacked Tyrod twice.

It’s pretty Black and White with me, what satisfies me is wins, bottom line point blank end of story. Maybe when we win one of these games instead of coming close (not just this year) I’ll be happy. Also this staff was brought in to shore up the things that were wrong last year, turnovers, emotion, etc. The emotion has been better but the takeaways are worse or at least on par with last year and if you ask me that stinks plain and simple.

I also don’t think it is ok for this staff to get away with stuff that the previous staff couldn’t like feeding us crap about where we are and about what was going to happen. (It started from the word go not just last year) We were told that the OL was our strength and we were told that these kids would play disciplined-fundamentally sound football, and we would see “takeaways”. Have any of these things come true? I don’t believe so but this is for another thread not this one.

I also understand it is a process but that doesn’t mean I can’t be critical of that process, it doesn’t mean that I have to be happy that once again mental mistakes cost this team a win and once again he gave the ball away more then we took it away.

As far as being the biggest downer on the board that is debatable. If you ask me I find the “we played hard” accepting mediocrity (thanks Pud) attitude more of a downer then mine. I always predict a win no matter what, I always cheer for my team no matter what, and I don’t call for peoples heads (maybe Cotton).

It is kind of like the way I feel about the United States as well, just because I think there are glaring faults and a lot of things that are wrong with it doesn’t mean I don’t love it. I can’t just fall in line and pretend that everything is alright, I can’t and I won’t. The day that that happens would be a real DOWNER.

Disclaimer: I know it is game 6 of their first year, I UNDERSTAND that but come on. How many times did Mizzou and Tech throw the ball and we came close to how many picks? We have only forced 3 fumbles all year and recovered 1? I’m sorry if I don’t find that acceptable. Maybe I’m alone in this way of thinking as well.