TT game - did we almost go for two?

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10396039

Did Nebraska send its kicking team onto the field for the final extra point in regulation Saturday against Texas Tech with an option to fake the kick and try for a two-point conversion?

Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson hinted at as much this week, referring questions on the subject to offensive line coach Barney Cotton.

Cotton seemed caught off guard by the suggestion. Instead of answering, he invoked Sgt. Schultz of Hogan’s Heroes.

"I know nothing," Cotton said, smiling. "I know nothing."

The Huskers, apparently, did not see an inviting alignment from the Red Raiders and opted to kick the extra point, tying the game at 31-31 with 29 seconds left in the fourth quarter. Tech won 37-31 in OT.

Nebraska did execute a successful fake field goal earlier in the fourth quarter. Holder Jake Wesch connected with Mike McNeill for an 8-yard gain to the Tech 1-yard line on fourth and 7.

Would a fake have worked again? Regardless, it sure would have been interesting.

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. If TO kicks the PAT rather than going for 2, he'd have another NC trophy in the trophy case. After the fact, yeah it couldn't have hurt going for 2. However given the situation with OT these days, no way would I ever go for 2 rather than going into OT.

Especially with the way we started to play in the 4th quarter. I would rather take that to OT and win it there. The offense had been moving the ball easily and all you needed was something from the defense, or in our case it came from the Special Teams. I liked the call to send it to OT.

It was the right thing to do. Play the percentages on the road, gamble at home. I also think the fact that TT's kicker pretty much sucked all day had alot to do with his decision. Although Bo did hint at the fact he was leaning toward going for two in OT to get the win, which as it turned, out made little difference anyway...

It was the right thing to do. Play the percentages on the road, gamble at home. I also think the fact that TT's kicker pretty much sucked all day had alot to do with his decision. Although Bo did hint at the fact he was leaning toward going for two in OT to get the win, which as it turned, out made little difference anyway...

All the discussions I've heard say the opposite. As a general rule, you want to keep the game going as long as possible in that scenario...unless you're on the road. You want to end it when you have a chance.

I was pretty geeked up knowing that when the 4th qtr ended, we were TIED with Tech. Damn. The majority of this board, the continental United States, and all alien life forms had Tech penciled in for 60 plus points.

Wow.

Take the extra point and send it to OT. I'm very okay with that stratedgy.

In fact, the damn kick was blocked in overtime. I was like "Ballgame. The Huskers got 'em now".

Execute for 25 yards, get the touchdown, win this game.

I'll send it to OT every time.

I was pretty geeked up knowing that when the 4th qtr ended, we were TIED with Tech. Damn. The majority of this board, the continental United States, and all alien life forms had Tech penciled in for 60 plus points.

Wow.

Take the extra point and send it to OT. I'm very okay with that stratedgy.

In fact, the damn kick was blocked in overtime. I was like "Ballgame. The Huskers got 'em now".

Execute for 25 yards, get the touchdown, win this game.

I'll send it to OT every time.

no doubt, that gives you the extra shot. This is definately a double sworded issue.

I was yelling "Go for two". But once they lined up for the field goal, i thought that was probably the right decision. After we blocked their extra point in OT I thought the game was all but over, i told my wife it was an omen and we were going to win. I guess I was wrong, but really how many EP get blocked and especially in that situation???? Everything was going our way, we just couldnt find a way to put it together. Oh well, things will begin falling in place sooner rather than later...........I think.

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang :bang :bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang