Is Nebraska done at RB for this year?

Is Nebraska content to take just 1 RB this year, or can we expect additional targets?

Here are the guys listed on this forum (taken from the offensive recruits listing):

Jelani Alford ?

Tavon Austin No interest

Bryce Brown Committed to Miami

Chance Casey

Knile Davis Committed To Arkansas

Jarvis Giles Committed to Tennessee

Michael Gillislee Committed to Florida

Kalvin Guyton Committed to Texas A&M

Dalton Hilliard Committed to UCLA

Waymon James Committed to TCU

Eddie Lacy No Interest

Christine Michael Committed To TAMU Favors TAMU and LSU

David Oku Committed to Tenn. Visit 9/26/2008

Toben Opurum

Dexter Pratt Committed to LSU

Corey Serrano No offers / Walk on candidate

Stepfan Taylor Committed to Stanford

Brandon Wegher Committed to Iowa

Chris Whaley Committed to Texas

Cierre Wood Committed to Notre Dame

Scout only lists Michael as remaining open in recruiting among offered prospects, but as noted above his favorites are TAMU and LSU.

Toben Opurum is a big back/fullback type so Nebraska might not be too interested at this point as those spots are already filled in this class. From the last info I can find, Nebraska is probably leading for Jelani Alford, and he fills the role of the Mr. Outside to Tray's Mr. Inside (and can catch the ball pretty well too), but information about him is more than a month old. Chance Casey is another outside speed guy with pass catching skills but might pick Florida or LSU for track.

Is Nebraska content to take just 1 RB this year, or can we expect additional targets?

I think we are content to take one RB this year. Sure we would've liked to pick up a David Oku or Jarvis Giles, but I think Bo would rather pick up a stud in next year's class rather than just taking the next available player. Also, I don't see RB as an immediate need right now. We have a lot of other holes to fill, mainly on the defensive side of the ball.

Still, it is a little disheartening to lose out on Oku and Hilliard, who were so close.

With Fulmer on the hotseat, and two premiere backs committed in their class to Tennessee I could see us picking up one as they start to crash and burn. I wouldn't be too worried though, our offense is not based on a stud back anyways and yet we still put up points on just about everybody. OL and Defense are our main concerns in my opinion and we are addressing those nicely.

Why are we not content with the starting RB from the #1 preseason H.S. team in the country??

First, injuries can and do happen.

Second, competition is always a good thing.

Third, when you have depth, you can always move players.

Fourth, look at the teams ahead of us that got the players we wanted ... never a good thing.

Fifth, this is Nebraska, our tradition is running.

Snapped those off in about 35 seconds ... my typing couldn't keep up with my mind.

SheepdogMark

Why are we not content with the starting RB from the #1 preseason H.S. team in the country??

First, injuries can and do happen.

Second, competition is always a good thing.

Third, when you have depth, you can always move players.

Fourth, look at the teams ahead of us that got the players we wanted ... never a good thing.

Fifth, this is Nebraska, our tradition is running.

Snapped those off in about 35 seconds ... my typing couldn't keep up with my mind.

SheepdogMark

It never hurts to add depth. USC will take 2 blue chip rb's per class at a minimum. Tray Robinson could be awesome, but who knows what other wild card may be found that is just starting to realize their potential and is worthy of being given a shot?