Does Coach Bo and Co finally tear open the Box......

Some of you guys wear me out!!! If you look over the years at the blackshirts d, they had a run 93-95, where they absolutely wore people out. I hope you all aren't comparing this team to those teams. I remember hearing how nebraska d was too slow and couldn't keep up with the florida teams. In fact, if you look back over the years, there were big plays all over the place. Troy edwards and La tech putting up 400+ yards through the air and a whole list of other folks. Blackshirts is about determination, dominance and hard hitting. We may not have beaten everyone, but they knew when they played nebraska, it was going to be a dogfight, and we would hit them hard. Screw the stats. Just play hard and hit someone in the mouth.

We saw that yesterday. The team probably deserves the shirts back because 100% effort is being displayed. Under the last regime, they should have had pinkshirts!

So, save your breath on giving up big plays. Everyone gives up big plays. And I am getting sick of hearing about parity in college football. Look at the top 10 teams. Cream always rises to the top. You may have some surprises hear and there, but the same teams are usually at the top.

I still say that Blackshirts should be handed out to individuals, one at a time. In my mind, Suh got his today.

Absolutely disagree. They are the 'Blackshirts' (note plural) not Blackshirt. The tradition of the starting D and one or two other significant contributors wearing black during practices is the whole point, hence the term 'Blackshirts Defense'! They were never intended to be handed out to single individuals like a gddmned buckeyes or something. :bonez

I absolutely disagree with this post. To me, the "Blackshirts" represent players on the team that have the mindset, the mentality of the N defense tradition. The idea is that there would be more than one, but it happens one player at a time ... developing that mindset. From what I understsand, a "buckeye" is handed out as a reward for getting something done in a game ... a pancake block as an example.

However, for the Blackshirts, it's a reward/recognition to show the team and the Nation that this guy represents what Husker D is all about.

I didn't see the game, but sounds like Suh had a great game. I don't have an opinion on who and when, but I do think you reward a player as you see him setting the example of what is expected.

SheepdogMark

When a player is having a day like Suh was, its because the players around him are doing their jobs and are allowing him to make those plays. It is a team effort, no matter how you slice it.

GBR!!!

I don't know...I don't want to see us slip into the mentality that you just hand them out to everyone so that they "feel good about themselves..." That is what some are sounding like at this point. I think it takes away from the tradition of what they are really supposed to mean...and I am not referencing just being black practice jerseys to differentiate the offense from the defense.

I think he waits til right before the bowl game, use it as an incentive.

I just think it is great we are going bowling. As someone else said every senior defensive player gets a blackshirt for the bowl game practices, at least thats the way it used to work. So if the team has not earned them before then...at least the seniors will get them.

Same old story.

Arm tackling, missed assignments, blown coverages so no they dont get them.

I think there is something to be said for the idea that you can't wait until they have one perfect game till you give them out. You might not ever give them out if that's the case.

I think it's too late this season. There probably shouldn't be any Blackshirts in '08.

If that happens then I think you loose the team's interest in them. It may have happened already. Blackshirts as a tradition will not exist since the "tradition" would be broken.

Some of you guys wear me out!!! If you look over the years at the blackshirts d, they had a run 93-95, where they absolutely wore people out. I hope you all aren't comparing this team to those teams. I remember hearing how nebraska d was too slow and couldn't keep up with the florida teams. In fact, if you look back over the years, there were big plays all over the place. Troy edwards and La tech putting up 400+ yards through the air and a whole list of other folks. Blackshirts is about determination, dominance and hard hitting. We may not have beaten everyone, but they knew when they played nebraska, it was going to be a dogfight, and we would hit them hard. Screw the stats. Just play hard and hit someone in the mouth.

We saw that yesterday. The team probably deserves the shirts back because 100% effort is being displayed. Under the last regime, they should have had pinkshirts!

So, save your breath on giving up big plays. Everyone gives up big plays. And I am getting sick of hearing about parity in college football. Look at the top 10 teams. Cream always rises to the top. You may have some surprises hear and there, but the same teams are usually at the top.

mwj98 you are preaching to the choir my man. I have been saying the same thing every time this thread starts, which is several times a week lately. I can't believe how people take a period of dominance lasting 8 to 10 years tops out of 40+ and make a new standard for a tradition. I distinctly remember giving up 30+ in the bowl games to Miami, doesn't anyone really remember why the win in '95 over Miami was so great? Yes the NC and all that was nice, but it was a revenge win.

Don't give out the blackshirts until the defense pitches 14 consecutive shutouts and gets 10 takeaways per offensive giveaway on our way to an NC. :sarcasm

Seriously guys, when did black practice jerseys become a magical item? The team is playing together, giving everything they've got, and playing with some intensity. Seems like blackshirts to me, but what do I know.

It is too late now. Bo can't do it now. He has the D playing harder and more together as a unit than they have in a very long time. They are finally developing a chemistry. Bo is probably smart enough to not want to mess with that. How many does he give out? Ok, "he plays in nickel packages, he plays in dime," so he gets one blah, blah, blah. You cut it off at some point and a kid gets his feelings hurt. Yeah, tough cookies, but can't risk any disharmony amongst the D now. Maybe before the bowl, which is mostly an exhibition unless a New Year's Day one.