Empty seats?

NUpolo8

From the LJS.

If this is true there better be no more bitching about where NU puts the student seats. If you don't fill your section, then you deserve to be marooned anywhere they see fit.

Students leave plenty of seats empty

I know it was a cold one, but there have been plenty of cold Saturdays before at Memorial Stadium, and I don't recall seeing so many empty seats in the student section as I saw Saturday.

There were hundreds of empty spots near the top of Sections 12, 13 and 14, even worse than it was in the last home game against Baylor, when open seats were also easy to spot.

The student area was never full, and the top of those sections really cleared out after halftime on Saturday. A few of the rows didn't have any people in them.

I know some argued that it was fall break around that Baylor game. It wasn't. Fall break was on the Monday and Tuesday after the road game at Iowa State.

And I know there was some discontentment from students about being moved to higher reaches of the stadium this year -- which is a fair beef -- but that doesn't make it any less strange to see pockets of empty seats in the stadium on a game day.

"That's real surprising," Husker senior linebacker Cody Glenn said of the empty seats. "I guess I didn't notice, but that's real surprising. You always expect them to be there cheering ... but it was cold out there."

He smiled and said he'd give them a pass this time because of the cold.

I don't know how much better it's going to be for the Colorado game around Thanksgiving.

don't know how much better it's going to be for the Colorado game around Thanksgiving.

Well if the final game of the year against CU, doesn't get your blood flowing. Then you don't have a pulse! (or your a spoiled college kid who doesn't yet realize what your missing out on!) <_<

As a student from out of state (actually from Ft Collins, CO lol), I will be spending my Thanksgiving IN colorado, and won't be able to make it back to the game. This is the case for about 50% of the guys I have talked to, not many students from far away will be able to make it back to the game... so be prepared.

Hello, I'm a student at the university, and I've browsed these forums for a while now and enjoy reading everything people have to say about the huskers. But I decided to join to add to this post. I was one who did complain after the changing of the student section seating. When I was younger, I made it to a couple of husker games. I never thought they were very exciting because everyone around me was extremely quiet and sat the whole game except for touchdown celebrations. There was no enthusiasm. Until I came to college. My first year that I purchased student tickets was last season. I had never felt so much pride after sitting in the student section after the nevada game. Since then I can't listen to the tunnelwalk song without getting goosebumps, and get the chills every time I drive on 180 heading into downtown going by the stadium. I became angered when I found out they were setting us up farther. I thought, are they really sending us back further so people can sit the whole game and pay half attention to the game while talking to their friends about their past week? I figured if you want to do that, you just as well watch the damn game on tv. But what is done is done, and I still show up early to get a good seat. I braved the cold yesterday, and loved every minute of the ku game. However, from my point of view, people are leaving or not showing up because:

1. We are not the dominant team we were while growing up

2. It was very cold

3. Many of them were still probably hung over

But I believe the first reason is the most important. Many students don't want to go anymore because they don't want to be there to watch us lose. I'm afraid that the past Callahan years may have led some students to become bandwagon fans.

However, I do want it to be known that we did bitch for a reason about our seating being changed, because in past years the student section has provided a great majority of the noise in that stadium. NEVER have I looked over to section 16 and seen fans standing screaming their lungs out before every defensive play, cheering the blackshirts on. But at least the alums don't have to yell at us to sit down anymore, as that was the most noise some of them were making the whole game.

As huskers532 said, be prepared...thanksgiving break will mean even more empty seats

Well, someone out there WILL buy those tickets...trust me.

They didn't buy them Saturday, so I don't see them buying them for the CU game. I'm sure half the students that are in Lincoln with tickets will say "screw it, its too cold out" and rip their ticket up.

What a bunch of pu$$ies!! Put a coat on for gosh sakes... :sarcasm

Seriously, though, I think winning will bring the fans back. Call 'em band wagon fans or whatever, they still fill the seats...

I am not sure that we will ever have fans like some of us remember growing up. Times are different, there is too many other things going on on Saturday afternoons now. People don't take the time to spend with their kids and teach them about the tradition of Husker football now days...and even if they took the time, the kids won't always listen anyway.

Ah yes nothing like a band wagon student section. What the hell?

The blue hairs were there I would bet, and I am damned proud that they were because if we have to depend on the students we better move the sucker to Florida so the frippen pussies don't get cold. Poor babies.

Honestly most are there, but it sure hurts to see open seats. This was a pay per view so not to much damage done, but Colorado, our supposed rival and empty seats do not add up. Sad situation it seems to me.

Hello, I'm a student at the university, and I've browsed these forums for a while now and enjoy reading everything people have to say about the huskers. But I decided to join to add to this post. I was one who did complain after the changing of the student section seating. When I was younger, I made it to a couple of husker games. I never thought they were very exciting because everyone around me was extremely quiet and sat the whole game except for touchdown celebrations. There was no enthusiasm. Until I came to college. My first year that I purchased student tickets was last season. I had never felt so much pride after sitting in the student section after the nevada game. Since then I can't listen to the tunnelwalk song without getting goosebumps, and get the chills every time I drive on 180 heading into downtown going by the stadium. I became angered when I found out they were setting us up farther. I thought, are they really sending us back further so people can sit the whole game and pay half attention to the game while talking to their friends about their past week? I figured if you want to do that, you just as well watch the damn game on tv. But what is done is done, and I still show up early to get a good seat. I braved the cold yesterday, and loved every minute of the ku game. However, from my point of view, people are leaving or not showing up because:

1. We are not the dominant team we were while growing up

2. It was very cold

3. Many of them were still probably hung over

But I believe the first reason is the most important. Many students don't want to go anymore because they don't want to be there to watch us lose. I'm afraid that the past Callahan years may have led some students to become bandwagon fans.

However, I do want it to be known that we did bitch for a reason about our seating being changed, because in past years the student section has provided a great majority of the noise in that stadium. NEVER have I looked over to section 16 and seen fans standing screaming their lungs out before every defensive play, cheering the blackshirts on. But at least the alums don't have to yell at us to sit down anymore, as that was the most noise some of them were making the whole game.

As huskers532 said, be prepared...thanksgiving break will mean even more empty seats

Wow, I never thought I'd hear a NU student say something like that. Like I said, move them to wherever, I'll yell for my ticket.

Sad.....