D-line shows dominance

D-line shows dominance

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Nov 10, 2008 - 12:33:09 am CST

The line from "The Godfather" doesn’t apply here. It was personal. It wasn’t just business.

At least that’s what Husker junior nose tackle Ndamukong Suh said after putting his gigantic 300-pound stamp all over Saturday’s 45-35 win against Kansas.

“We definitely took it personally with Coach (Bo Pelini) challenging us and telling us that we can definitely change this game,” Suh said. “We’re just working off of and feeding off of each other. One guy makes a play, giving him love and working together as a unit as we’re supposed to.”

It was a dominating showing by the Huskers’ defensive front four. Blitzing wasn’t even really necessary. Suh, Zach Potter, Ty Steinkuhler and Pierre Allen made the cold feel even colder for KU quarterback Todd Reesing, constantly introducing themselves to him.

Suh had 12 tackles, four of them for loss, and 2½ sacks. Potter had six tackles, two of them for loss, 1½ sacks and an interception. Allen had seven tackles and a 15-yard sack.

By game’s end, Reesing limped off the field, having been sacked five times and hit many more time than that. That was the first time NU recorded five sacks since the Cotton Bowl following the 2006 season.

If the D-line dominance was surprising to Husker fans who last year witnessed week after week of dismal defense, it wasn’t to Pelini.

Nebraska’s new coaches said before the season the defensive line could be a strength of the team and it has arguably been that through 10 games. The linebackers and defensive backs have had their share of hiccups. But the front four have remained steady.

“Honestly, they’ve graded well all year. They’ve really played at a high level,” Pelini said Sunday. “We were able to make (Kansas) one-dimensional in how we played the run. And they were able to get their ears back and go get that guy (Reesing). Probably made him uncomfortable.”

You could say that. Reesing didn’t emerge for postgame interviews because he was getting treatment for knee and rib injuries.

The Husker defensive line also largely bottled up KU’s running game. Kansas finished with 118 yards rushing, averaging just 3.0 yards per carry.

Pelini said everyone who played on the line Saturday contributed — including Clayton Sievers, Jared Crick and Shukree Barfield off the bench.

But Suh really stole the show, putting up defensive statistics that haven’t been seen around here in a while:

* His 12 tackles were the most by a defensive lineman since Titus Adams had that many against Kansas State in 2005.

* His 2½ sacks were a career-high and most by a Husker in 70 games since Demorrio Williams had three against Utah State in 2003.

* His four tackles for loss were the most by a Husker in 38 games since Bo Ruud had five against Kansas State in 2005.

* His team-leading 60 tackles this season are the most by an NU defensive lineman since Ryon Bingham had 67 in 2002. A Husker D-lineman had not led the team in tackles since John Bell had 96 in 1973.

* His average of six tackles a game leads all Big 12 linemen.

* And, oh, yeah, he’s now playing some fullback, catching a 2-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter Saturday.

“He’s improved dramatically every week,” Pelini said. “He’s really grown in every aspect. He’s a total team guy. He’s just the kind of guy you want in the program.”

Linebacker Cody Glenn said the dominance of Suh and his cohorts make the job a lot easier for everyone else on the defense.

Reesing still made some big plays, passing for 304 yards, but he also missed on 15 of 30 passes, and the D-line pressure was a big reason for that.

Nebraska’s sixth win of the season was a significant step for a team that last year allowed Kansas to score touchdowns on 10 straight possessions.

“It’s incredible,” Glenn said. “I can’t even describe the feeling right now just because what happened down there last year, and where our team is heading this year, just to make a statement and beat them. I’m not going to say it was easy, but it was pretty dominating fashion on our part.”

If Suh don't make All-Big 12, something is wrong...GBR! :bonez

I was very pleased with the way the D line performed. Take away one solid run by Sharp, and they pretty much contained him all game long. They also put very good pressure on Reesing and actually beat him up pretty good (he was unavailable post-game because he was getting medical attention for his ribs and knee).

Great game. I am very hopeful that next year our D-line will be the strength of the D with Allen, Turner, Suh, and ?. I'm hoping Suh doesn't go to the draft. Not sure if he is even thinking about it or not but I am hopeful that with the new coaches in place, he will stay.

Just a gut feeling, but I highly doubt that Suh is looking to going into the draft right now. I think he is smart enough to realize that if he can come back, and we have a good season next year and are ranked fairly high as a team, his stock will be worth a whole lot more than right now.

Could he be drafted...you bet. Could he actually go in and play in the NFL right now...totally depends on who drafts him (which he as little or no control) and what their needs are. Chances are at this point he may not start in the NFL. Give it another year, put up the numbers he has been putting up, and I think he would be drafted high enough and taken by someone that really has a need on defense that he could fill.

My bet: 90% chance that Suh will be a Cornhusker next season. That will give him the opportunity to get his Blackshirt...something that every defensive player that comes to Nebraska dreams of having. But just getting it at the end of the year isn't the dream...it is having it and wearing it in practice - standing out as a leader among men.

Just a gut feeling, but I highly doubt that Suh is looking to going into the draft right now. I think he is smart enough to realize that if he can come back, and we have a good season next year and are ranked fairly high as a team, his stock will be worth a whole lot more than right now.

Could he be drafted...you bet. Could he actually go in and play in the NFL right now...totally depends on who drafts him (which he as little or no control) and what their needs are. Chances are at this point he may not start in the NFL. Give it another year, put up the numbers he has been putting up, and I think he would be drafted high enough and taken by someone that really has a need on defense that he could fill.

My bet: 90% chance that Suh will be a Cornhusker next season. That will give him the opportunity to get his Blackshirt...something that every defensive player that comes to Nebraska dreams of having. But just getting it at the end of the year isn't the dream...it is having it and wearing it in practice - standing out as a leader among men.

I feel the same way, but I'm also not going to discount the chance that he might either. I do think if Suh stays he has the potential to be a complete monster at NT. Hope he stays around...

I'd venture to guess that Suh has been poorly coached since he's been at NU up until this year. He came in as a highly sought after recruit if memory serves me correctly. It would be in his best interest to come back and play his senior year. If he continues to improve at the pace he has just this season alone, he could definitely be taken very high. I've said all along we've got the talent here to win. However, you can't win on talent and athletic ability alone at the collegiate level. We're doing everything I had hoped for this year. Other than the Mizzou game, I think we have gotten better each week. OU was bad, but I think we knew it was gonna be until we can take our training wheels off.

If someone knows where to find these statistics, I'd be interested to know...

Do you really think Suh would leave early, while right now he has 3 years of a degree in Economics completed? Maybe it's not that big of a deal, but I would think that's a pretty hefty major to just walk away from after 3 years. I may be completely wrong, but I bet alot of the guys who leave early don't have a major that's extremely hard or anything. Doesn't make much sense, so hopefully Suh won't.

well, nevermind, i think. I thought i heard his major was econ but he must have switched to construction management. Either way, same question applies: does anyone think that influences their decision?

Thankfully the secondary can only get better. Blue should replace Murrillo well enough. The rest can only play better with experience. Plus we'll have some solid youngsters in Levorson and Dennard pushing for time.

The line should be the strength of the D again provided Suh stays and Turner gets his medical redshirt, both of which probably happen.