BlackShirts Given Out at Practice

WVhuskerXX

Suh,Allen,Steinkuhler and Potter are the only ones I see worthy of the honor....giving shirts to anyone in that secondary is a joke.

If the standard for a blackshirt were playing up to the level of a 94-97 defense, we probably wouldn't have blackshirts most years.

The goal HAS to be obtainable or it actually will become a joke.

Suh,Allen,Steinkuhler and Potter are the only ones I see worthy of the honor....giving shirts to anyone in that secondary is a joke.

If the standard for a blackshirt were playing up to the level of a 94-97 defense, we probably wouldn't have blackshirts most years.

thank you. some people seem to think that we used to be a top 5 defenses every year.

I said this in another thread, but I don't like the idea of disappointing certain kids right before a game we can't afford to lose. If they are feeling sorry for themselves in practice and not focusing it could lead to mental errors. Also, why do we want to take the chance that the guys that did get them won't relax a little. I'll go along with Bo on this one, but if I were him, I wouldn't have done it. I also would have signed my letter of intent with NU instead of Ohio St.

thank you. some people seem to think that we used to be a top 5 defenses every year.

Exactly. The Blackshirt defense personifies an attitude. This defense is starting to show an attitude. I am glad for guys like Potter and Steinkuhler to get a blackshirt before they are done playing. They have earned them.

Sorry if I don't think anyone in the burnt toast secondary deserves one...I just think it minimizes the accomplishment when those guys can't even wrap up on a tackle or take a proper angle when attempting a tackle....was it hagg who blasted reesing the other day and buckled him for a second then dude threw a TD? Anyhow I know this isnt the 94-97 defense but I am just saying handing out 11 is ridiculous when I feel only the four I mentioned really deserved it.

:yeah I am really getting tired of this. Thank you BO! Let's move on!

Hey, when you look at what our defense has accomplished this year, I think those guys DO deserve this honor. They may not be perfect (someone nailed it here with the 94-97 defense comment, which I will add to and say the 62 to 01 defenses!) but they are playing to their TOP ability right now I think. Plus, most of us are fans. Just that. Only that. You KNOW the coaches know these kids and they are likely seeing kids playing ABOVE their talent level right now! When I see passes knocked down, tackles improving, opposing QB's getting sacked / rushed, I think the defense is doing their job. That KU game was played ABOVE the normal level and I think the coaches see that in the practices AND on the game field. I, for one, thought NU would tear KU up on the field this year, altho we didn't TEAR them up, we beat them. Our defense controlled Reesing, which is to THEIR defensive credit. Reesing is no slouch and controlling him was no easy task I'm sure. This won't hurt a dang thing and will only help recruiting the walk ons and good home grown players that want part of the Nebraska tradition. Oh, and Ganz didn't win the presidency as I had hoped, but I'm voting for him again in 2012... but ONLY if he takes the offensive line with him as advisors... Hey, I'm just saying.

GO BIG RED and ROLLLLLLLLLL BLACKSHIRTS!