Coach Hawkins

HANC

I know that this will probably get bumped, but I'll start it here because it dealt with today's game. Let me start by saying that CU is my "worst enemy" as far as college football is concerned. My wife and I have been treated very poorly by fans in Boulder, but I do understand that every program has fans like that, and not everyone from CU falls into the category.

Somehow, between both my wife and I being UNL grads and season ticket holders for years, our son (8) turns out to be a CU Buff fan..... obviously he was concieved on a night of heavy drinking ;) . We have tried to convert him and he even wore Husker eye-black tatoos, but wore his CU Buff sweatshirt.

After the game, he was disappointed, and we waited by the CU buses to see players. As we waited, a lady insided the fence asked us who he was waiting to see.....he said Coach Hawkins.... she introduced herself as Mrs. Hawkins, and visited with us for awhile. When coach came out, he had about 70 friends/family, but she directed him our way. After a SEASON ENDING loss to a rival, on a 57 yder (in a game where I can say that CU probably outplayed and outcoached NU), he had to be hurting. But, he spent over 10 minutes talking to my son about football, school, family and Christmas. It blew me away. Sorry, but this man showed a ton of class. I will never be a CU fan, but I am now a Hawkins fan.

I got no problem with Hawkins. Yeah his "Best days as a Buff" delusion probably should be left out of the coaching arena, but he seems like a decent enough gent.

CU fan base is another story, but that's for a different thread.

Anyway, freaking amazing game today. I haven't been that excited about a football game in a long time.

I watched with interest the conversation between Hawkins and Bo after the game, couldn't hear any of it of course, but I could tell that they were having a fairly decent conversation, and not just the "shake your hand and congratulate you so I can get off the field" kind of conversation. Even the players were standing around chatting with Huskers, which was nice to see, because there have been games when you wondered if there was going to be a brawl at the center of the field when time ran out and the coaches just pushed their respective teams into the locker rooms after the game.

I still am not crazy about the fans (student section) in Colorado, but if the attitude at CU is going to change, it begins with the coaches and team. It was nice to see that there might still be hope.

Absolutely a TRUE STORY !!! Believe me, I don't look for reasons to give CU propts, so it's true. Funny thing is, my son wants to play Qb (like everyone's son), and on the way over, I told him that if he played qb at CU, that I would never "cheer" for him....HA...... Many of you know that I am a HS fb coach and my son and Coach Hawkins were talking about football and he asked him about playing qb and my son told him that I was a coach.... I was just holding my breath that at that point, my TOO HONEST son, didn't tell him of my remark about never cheering for him at CU :clap ....... it's probably the truth, but since he was taking the time to visit, I was hoping it wasn't going to come up.

I know that this will probably get bumped, but I'll start it here because it dealt with today's game. Let me start by saying that CU is my "worst enemy" as far as college football is concerned. My wife and I have been treated very poorly by fans in Boulder, but I do understand that every program has fans like that, and not everyone from CU falls into the category.

Somehow, between both my wife and I being UNL grads and season ticket holders for years, our son (8) turns out to be a CU Buff fan..... obviously he was concieved on a night of heavy drinking ;) . We have tried to convert him and he even wore Husker eye-black tatoos, but wore his CU Buff sweatshirt.

After the game, he was disappointed, and we waited by the CU buses to see players. As we waited, a lady insided the fence asked us who he was waiting to see.....he said Coach Hawkins.... she introduced herself as Mrs. Hawkins, and visited with us for awhile. When coach came out, he had about 70 friends/family, but she directed him our way. After a SEASON ENDING loss to a rival, on a 57 yder (in a game where I can say that CU probably outplayed and outcoached NU), he had to be hurting. But, he spent over 10 minutes talking to my son about football, school, family and Christmas. It blew me away. Sorry, but this man showed a ton of class. I will never be a CU fan, but I am now a Hawkins fan.

kUDOS 2 Hawk, great anecdote!

(p.s., CU did NOT out play us, we just stalled in the red zone too much...in part because of them. They made some big plays 4 sho' though.)