nu,s season -opinion

ronsss

well, nu,s season is now over, and is probably gearing up to play in some bowl, and most teams with 6 wins or more in the water-downed bowl season will get to play somewhere. one would have to say that coach penili has made some improvement,,,not sure if there was a huge improvement in the team, or is that some of nu,s oppenents have gotten worse. but my feelings are that 8-4 is better than what we had last year, so yes, there has been some improvement in my books.......

what are some other opinions?

well, nu,s season is now over, and is probably gearing up to play in some bowl, and most teams with 6 wins or more in the water-downed bowl season will get to play somewhere. one would have to say that coach penili has made some improvement,,,not sure if there was a huge improvement in the team, or is that some of nu,s oppenents have gotten worse. but my feelings are that 8-4 is better than what we had last year, so yes, there has been some improvement in my books.......

what are some other opinions?

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

First, NU's (we capitalize the N and the U here) season is not over, one more game to go.

Second, we are not "probably gearing up" for anything. We are getting ready for a bowl and getting extra practice time because we are.

Third, if you think Coach Pelini (not penili) has only made "some improvement" then you didn't watch much of either the 2007 or the 2008 season.

Fourth, glad that you recognize that 8 and 4 with a shot at 9 and 4 is better than 5 and 7.

At least, "there has been some improvement in" your "books......."

Oh, and by the way, we wear RED, vibrant Husker RED, on Saturdays not faded, can be mistaken for pink, red, without a mention of The University of Nebraska on the garmet.

Sorry for the :nutz but... well, get with it.

Just another opinion from...

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

not to mention that although we're 8-4 (5-3 conf), we easily could have been 10-2 (6-2 conf)...

I'm content with where the huskers sit, and I have a feeling that we're only going to move up.

Good first regular season, BO...now go out and win you're second bowl game to end the season 9-4...obviously better than last year.

And Bo is the real deal. Callahan would have made no adjustments at half-time, and we would be sitting at another 5-7 season...or worse.

IMO, if you go back to the prediction threads prior to the season, most on this board projected somewhere around 7-5 or 8-4. A few that were a little more optimistic said 9-3, and obviously, a few thought that 6-6 was a distinct possibility.

With that said, the season was probably what "most" of NU fans expected...not a tremendous surprise or disappointment.

What I saw was that Bo was able to bring "intensity" back to NU football. I still think he needs to "tone it down" at times, but it was AWESOME seeing some friggin intensity on the field and sideline again. If you look at the 2 deep roster from yesterday's game (although we didn't play well), we have a lot of people back on both sides, with 22 of 24 redshirt freshmen coming. Bo has this thing in the right direction.

In the Big 12, you need to figure out how to slow these offenses down, and it will take a great d-coord. to do that. Bo may be the guy. Watson needs to stay on board so the Offense can keep some continuity...

Because 8-4 met "most" of our expectations, I would call it a success. Who would have seriously thought that we may be getting ready to play on New Year's Day a year ago today?

Here is my take on the team so far...

Pros: The team had an overall good effort. NU was a couple plays away from being 9-2, which a lot of people seem to be overlooking (except with the almost BU upset of TT, our close loss didn't look so hot). Our defense, obviously the problem child of our team, came out and made good strides in the first year under Pelini's system. The offense was prolific, at times, and we ended the year no. 1 with TOP (which I feel is impressive, others may not. It also helped keep our struggling defense off the field). Overall, first year coach did a damn good job (better than Callahan's first year).

Cons: The defense, in my mind, does not deserve the coveted blackshirts just yet. They made way too many bone-headed plays this year, some that just boggled my mind. I think this plays a lot to Callahan and Co., however. Yes, we have "upper classmen", but Callahan did little to develop talent. It was almost like sending Freshman and Sophomores onto the field this year. Give the defense a few more years and I think we will be where we want to be, but I am in no way satisfied with their showing this year. They made improvement, but have a long way to go.

The offense was prolific at times, but Watson hasn't overly impressed me quite yet. Some of the play calling against CU was boring and albeit predictable at times, but we no doubt have some great playmakers and the ability to continue doing well next year. I would like to see less spread, personally, and something more along the lines of what OU and Texas do. They have variations of the spread, but also incorporate some power running which is something I think a lot of Husker fans are dying to see. We just need a good, strong back who can read the holes that aren't as easy to see as they are in the zone-read. If Q could just hold the ball and hit the holes harder, he'd be my choice for no. 1 on the IB depth chart next year.

We lose a lot of starters next year, but countless other teams reload year after year and I see no reason why we can't do the same. I expect our offense to improve and be more consistent, and expect the defense to move up into the 40's, maybe 30's in total defense. Gonna take awhile before we are where we want to be defensively.