Gator Bowl opponent disappointment

C N Red

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a little disappointed in the match-up with Clemson. I thought a game with FSU would be cool and nostalgic, but also would have been a little disappointed with them too.

I guess I was really looking forward to playing a ranked team to see where we really stand. Now, I know FSU would have been a tough matchup, and Clemson has some mojo back late in the year and will not be a cake walk, but just challenging a top 20 ranked team like Georgia Tech I think would have been great for the team.

I really think it would be neat to be ranked if we win our Bowl Game, but I wasn't so sure a win over FSU would have helped, and I don't know if a win over Clemson will either. But, I do believe if we would have beat Georgia Tech it would have gotten us that much more respect and also ranked.

It just seems, we played our guts out to get to this great New Year's Day bowl, and the match-up with Clemson seems to be a little lackluster. I heard on the radio somewhere that the Gator Bowl didn't know if they could get enough GT fans down to sell out the game and were worried so they picked a team in Clemson they knew would travel well. First off, if GT wouldn't sell it out, the rest of the tix would be picked up by skers fans no problem, and secondly, GT is a ridiculously short drive to JAX. I don't think getting GT fans to the game would have been a problem. Anyways, JMO.

I don't like the fact it IS the Gator Bowl, but will live with it. Going to a bowl in Texas would have done us better for recruiting I am sure. As far as playing Clemson, I would rather play them than give one of the Florida schools another home game. I am tired of having to play them on their turf and them never returning the favor.

I don't know. I already had a chance to see how the Huskers played against ranked opponents on national television and it wasn't pretty.

And that last game against a losing team was inches away from being a loss.

Oh yeah, one other thing? The teams who go into bowl games all sniffy, like they deserved a better opponent, often get their asses handed to them.

Don't think that will be a problem with Pelini. They aren't in a position to take anyone lightly.

The Gator Bowl is what it is.

But yeah....a top-20 match-up would have been better for the program.

Nice clean up LOL. But I hope people don't start thinking that Clemson is going to be a push over.

They were ranked (top 10?) preseason and had 2 guys on the Heisman watch list in Cullen Harper and James Davis. They actually are probably a tougher opponent than FSU.

I don't like the fact it IS the Gator Bowl, but will live with it. Going to a bowl in Texas would have done us better for recruiting I am sure. As far as playing Clemson, I would rather play them than give one of the Florida schools another home game. I am tired of having to play them on their turf and them never returning the favor.

Don't dis on Florida my man. We had a pretty good recruit once out of there by the name of Tommie Frazier :clap

But yeah....a top-20 match-up would have been better for the program.

Nice clean up LOL. But I hope people don't start thinking that Clemson is going to be a push over.

They were ranked (top 10?) preseason and had 2 guys on the Heisman watch list in Cullen Harper and James Davis. They actually are probably a tougher opponent than FSU.

Do you suppose after we beat them we jump 9 spots in the rankings like Bama did?

I by no means think clemson is a push over with the backfield they have. Also, they are one of the hottest teams in football right now. The only problem is perception. I'm sure Clemson thinks the same, like beating Nebraska isn't really going to help in perception of how good they are, just like us beating Clemson people will say that is what they are supposed to do being Nebraska and all. I am just saying beating a top 15 ranked team would have definitely helped with perception Nationally.

I'm not dissapointed at all. Clemson is a solid program, they are in the Gator bowl because they deserve it more than FSU does. I mean seriously, back in September how many of us honestly thought we'd be playing in the Gator bowl on New Years Day in Bo's first year?

Clemson is qoing to show up, and we had better be ready for them.

I'm not dissapointed at all. Clemson is a solid program, they are in the Gator bowl because they deserve it more than FSU does. I mean seriously, back in September how many of us honestly thought we'd be playing in the Gator bowl on New Years Day in Bo's first year?

Clemson is qoing to show up, and we had better be ready for them.

How exactly does Clemson deserve to be in the Gator Bowl more than Florida State? Clemson finished 7-5, Florida State finished 8-4, & Florida State beat Clemson head to head.