Cody Green

Husker Recruit doing well in Texas High School Playoffs

KATY -- Brenham wore green. Dayton rode Green.

Senior quarterback Cody Green rushed for 229 yards in the opening half when Dayton built a 35-7 lead, and the Broncos eased to a 42-21 victory in the Class 4A Region III championship game Saturday at Rhodes Stadium.

"Run early and run a lot," Green said of Dayton's game plan. "Most of it has to go to my offensive line. That's their bread and butter. They love that kind of stuff and I love running behind them."

The victory sends the Broncos (12-1) into a Division II semifinal game against Kerrville Tivy, which defeated Pflugerville Connally. Dayton and Tivy will play Saturday in Georgetown.

The 6-foot-4 Green, who has committed to play at Nebraska, finished with 22 carries for 247 yards. He completed just four passes, but two went for touchdowns.

"They just overpowered us," Brenham coach Glen West said. "A whole lot of it was us. I don't want to take any credit away from them. That quarterback is incredible, but I felt like we played real timid. When you're the size we are, you certainly can't be timid."

I think that red shirting him will be the best thing. I don't think the QB transition will be as big of a deal as the WR position. I may take a hit for saying that, but the returning recievers were pretty inconsistant this year. Our OL line on the other hand should be pretty stout next year and that will help loads with the new QB. But, If Mr. Green comes in and proves to be the best QB out there then he should start IMHO.

I think that red shirting him will be the best thing. I don't think the QB transition will be as big of a deal as the WR position. I may take a hit for saying that, but the returning recievers were pretty inconsistant this year. Our OL line on the other hand should be pretty stout next year and that will help loads with the new QB. But, If Mr. Green comes in and proves to be the best QB out there then he should start IMHO.

UT has Garrett Gilbert that beat Dayton 49-7 last year, when Green was hurt. OU has Allen from SA Alamo Heights, another 6'4" passing QB. They didn't recruit true dual threat QBs, their QBs could easily play for Tech or Missouri. Jacob Karam, dual threat from Friendswood plays Lake Travis and Gilbert Saturday in Aggieland! Tondrick Rollinson is still alive for Sulphur Springs, so all the top QBs are still playing for the most part in the Texas 5A and 4A playoffs. Looks like 4 of the best were all 4A QBs. Palmer vs Green in 4A D2, both very good, tall dual threat QBs for Dayton and Kerrville Tivy. Gilbert vs Karam, top passing QBs, that can also run the ball if needed. Rollinson plays Everman in the semis from up north in D2. Will Green be there for the spring? If so, maybe he can impact like Griffin at Baylor. I actually think Griffin is better than Pryor at OSU!

If he commits, I sure as hell hope he redshirts.

you hope he redshirts?????? we have absolutely no idea as to the type of recievers we will have next year...... with a qb that can stretch the play... hell he has a cannon and i dont know if the other qbs on our team can do what we need to do to succed at running the offence like we need to stretch the field... but why redshirt??? if he is the best let him play.... right

until I see him in a red jersey...I'll be a little worried. He looks like a stud though. I honestly hope he starts next year over our other guys. I know that sucks for him, but i think it would be a good program move.

:dis

Do you think he could be a four year starter?

Not a chance!!! When was the last time a true freshmen started at QB for NU? I don't remember one in my lifetime. And there is only one reason to do it, DESPERATION!

We have a solid group of QBs, that can run AND pass. Yes Green may be a beast, but there is far more to this game (and this offense) than an ability to scramble. Griffin at Baylor is an amazing runner, but you wouldn't know it from their record this season.

My point is, wait till the guy gets on campus before we anoint him the savior of the program. Besides many of the doubters out there will be greatly surprised at how good our new starter looks next year.

until I see him in a red jersey...I'll be a little worried. He looks like a stud though. I honestly hope he starts next year over our other guys. I know that sucks for him, but i think it would be a good program move.

:dis

Do you think he could be a four year starter?

Not a chance!!! When was the last time a true freshmen started at QB for NU? I don't remember one in my lifetime. And there is only one reason to do it, DESPERATION!

We have a solid group of QBs, that can run AND pass. Yes Green may be a beast, but there is far more to this game (and this offense) than an ability to scramble. Griffin at Baylor is an amazing runner, but you wouldn't know it from their record this season.

My point is, wait till the guy gets on campus before we anoint him the savior of the program. Besides many of the doubters out there will be greatly surprised at how good our new starter looks next year.

Tommie Frazier started as a true frosh in 1992.

We'll just have to wait until the spring game to annoint the BBS starting QB. And we message board posters are known for our ability to come to the same conclusion and stand united in every way.

Either that or we'll argue over every aspect of every candidate even after the season has started and the coaches have selected the starter.