Those Saying Cody Green Can't/Shouldn't Start..

Whoever EARNS the starting job next year is fine with me.............

I don't care if he is a true freshman, redshirt freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, 35 year old freshman, don't matter..........

Hell, if Suh wants to give QB a try now too..............

We have 0 starts returning next year........

What's the difference with starting a true freshman who hasn't started a game or a junior who has been running 2nd team reps..............

Not a whole lot..........

I see no point in starting someone with 0 experience instead of Green just to prep Green for a year, if Green can EARN the job, let him have it..............

It's really just one of those things that you can't get people to change their minds on........... like should college players get paid, or abortion, you have your view that is the way it is going to be..........

I say let the player who gives you the best chance not only to win now, but to win a lot down the road.....

Other people say, a true freshman qb can't start, just can't, can't do it......... Just can't............ Playbook too big.......... College too different............. Young thugs can't act right........... ETC ETC............ They don't let the coaches do their jobs and evaluate players........ They just come up with reasons why a player can't do something..........

I say Bo becomes a black man, gets fat and cocky and we push Cody Green to start way before he is ready - then lose three straight to K-State,to return the favor.

I hope you forgot this............

:sarcasm

Because Freeman has been pretty good his whole time..........

He has definitely not been the reason for KSUcks sucking............

Man, this is what I was hoping would not happen. I talked about this months ago. Cody is going to end up with unreasonable expectations that will be hard for him to live up to just like we have done with so many other highly rated guys in the past.

Cody is an athlete more than a QB right now. His offense is predicated on mostly quick, short passing right now. Dayton runs a TON of screens, outs and slants. He very, very rarely pushes the ball downfield or sits in the pocket to read defenses. Cody's job right now as a QB is to make one or two reads max, then let his athleticism take over. The reason is because he plays against some poor competition. Cody is that much better as an athlete than the people he plays against that it allows him to do this, but it will not work on the next level.

Cody absolutely needs to take a RS. He had his junior year taken away from his development and he needs to take that RS year to develop as a passer.

Kid is good, without a doubt. But he is raw and we all need to temper our enthusiasm and go slow with Cody to let him develop like he should.

... Zac Taylor came in and had actually a month or two less than Green will have to learn...

How is that exactly? Both Taylor and Green will have joined the Huskers for spring practice. (Assuming Green makes it here in Jan.)

I might be wrong, but I thought I remembered Taylor being a late recruit by Callahan and I just assumed he came in right after the official signing day in February (if that's even possible), hence Green would hypothetically have about an extra month o so.

Cody is an athlete more than a QB right now. His offense is predicated on mostly quick, short passing right now. Dayton runs a TON of screens, outs and slants. He very, very rarely pushes the ball downfield or sits in the pocket to read defenses. Cody's job right now as a QB is to make one or two reads max, then let his athleticism take over. The reason is because he plays against some poor competition.

Isn't our offense quite similar to that? Not entirely of course, but quite similar if you ask me. Also, I've heard from a few RSS posters that he plays in one of the toughest Texas leagues of his division, so I'm not sure who's correct on that account.

Isn't our offense quite similar to that? Not entirely of course, but quite similar if you ask me. Also, I've heard from a few RSS posters that he plays in one of the toughest Texas leagues of his division, so I'm not sure who's correct on that account.

No, no, no. Our offense has been brought down in length with zone reads added in, but it is still relatively the same as it was under BC. Minus the zone read (and Ganz doesn't even really read this play HA) our offense is basically a 'dumbed down' version of our former offense. Multiple reads with lots and lots of crossing patterns. Still relatively the same, just not an obscene amount of plays to remember with multiple variations and names that would leave you winded.

If our offense was simple with limited reads, Zac Lee would be our QB right now without question.

No, no, no. Our offense has been brought down in length with zone reads added in, but it is still relatively the same as it was under BC. Minus the zone read (and Ganz doesn't even really read this play HA) our offense is basically a 'dumbed down' version of our former offense. Multiple reads with lots and lots of crossing patterns. Still relatively the same, just not an obscene amount of plays to remember with multiple variations and names that would leave you winded.

If our offense was simple with limited reads, Zac Lee would be our QB right now without question.

Right, it's a dumbed down version of Callahan's offense, that includes a LOT of zone read plays (which Cody runs), a LOT of screens to halfbacks and receivers (which Cody runs), a LOT of short out routes and crossing routes, which are still short to mid distance (which Cody runs)....

:dunno

Right, it's a dumbed down version of Callahan's offense, that includes a LOT of zone read plays (which Cody runs), a LOT of screens to halfbacks and receivers (which Cody runs), a LOT of short out routes and crossing routes, which are still short to mid distance (which Cody runs)....

No. We run very few WR screens, but WR screens are ALOT of Cody's offense. I almost wish they had RAC numbers to show how special AJ Dugat is for that Dayton offense. Kid will be beastly, but that is another story for another day.

Cody's offense runs very few crossing routes because he is not able to read defenses probably due to his development. Again, you have to remember, this kid did not play his entire junior year. Heck, he was not even full speed off of his ankle until during the season this year. His development was thrown completely out of whack as he was not able to attend most passing camps, events or 7 on 7's due to his ankle.

As I said before, we run numerous crossing routes, digs, etc., which require multiple reads by any QB in our system. If our offense was simple and easy to pickup then Zac Lee would have been the starter yesterday. Lee is every bit the athlete Ganz is and more and has the better arm. The only reason he does not start is for the fact he mentally cannot pick up our offense yet.

Is our offense more simple than it was under BC? Yes. But brain surgery would likely have been easier than BC's offense as well.

You see, you make the our offense is so simple, when it is not as easy as you are stating. If it was, why is a better runner with a better arm like Zac Lee not the starter right now or even the clear cut favorite to start next year?

Even the most extraordinary of high school athletes in the most competitive high school environments can't just get by with their athleticism in big-time college ball.

And class 4A in Texas means he's not in the class with the 250 biggest schools in Texas, so it's not the most competitive. 4A is still quality compared to the rest of the country, but he's not facing Odessa Permian, Southlake Carroll, Euless Trinity, Lufkin, or teams like that.

Even the most extraordinary of high school athletes in the most competitive high school environments can't just get by with their athleticism in big-time college ball.

And class 4A in Texas means he's not in the class with the 250 biggest schools in Texas, so it's not the most competitive. 4A is still quality compared to the rest of the country, but he's not facing Odessa Permian, Southlake Carroll, Euless Trinity, Lufkin, or teams like that.

I noticed in his video how much he looks like a man amongst boys. The comp is small and slow looking. Still he is a very good athlete so I guess the question is.. burn his shirt to get him in on some qb sweeps and draw plays or save him and let him learn..

Ok I was wrong in the earlier post. RS him and let him compete season after next with 1 1/2 years under his belt.

No. We run very few WR screens, but WR screens are ALOT of Cody's offense. I almost wish they had RAC numbers to show how special AJ Dugat is for that Dayton offense. Kid will be beastly, but that is another story for another day.

Cody's offense runs very few crossing routes because he is not able to read defenses probably due to his development. Again, you have to remember, this kid did not play his entire junior year. Heck, he was not even full speed off of his ankle until during the season this year. His development was thrown completely out of whack as he was not able to attend most passing camps, events or 7 on 7's due to his ankle.

As I said before, we run numerous crossing routes, digs, etc., which require multiple reads by any QB in our system. If our offense was simple and easy to pickup then Zac Lee would have been the starter yesterday. Lee is every bit the athlete Ganz is and more and has the better arm. The only reason he does not start is for the fact he mentally cannot pick up our offense yet.

Is our offense more simple than it was under BC? Yes. But brain surgery would likely have been easier than BC's offense as well.

You see, you make the our offense is so simple, when it is not as easy as you are stating. If it was, why is a better runner with a better arm like Zac Lee not the starter right now or even the clear cut favorite to start next year?

so do you think he is ever going to pick it up?

so do you think he is ever going to pick it up?

Who knows? Maybe the kid is a gamer and will be completely different than he is in practice?

I will flat out say from everything I have heard that Zac Lee is one of the most physically gifted QBs we have ever had. Rocket arm and he has some serious wheels. If that kid ever gets it to click he will be a super stud QB.

If we had Witt's intelligence and Lee's physical gifts in one QB we'd have a Heisman candidate for the next two years.

you guys are effin rediculous. dumbed down offense, 5 stars this, no reps that, practice snaps this... the kid is going to be just fine. the only problem hes going to have is living up to the expectations or degradations some are putting on him before hes even here. we got a bowl game with clemson coming up if you dont remember, and you guys are worrying about whos gonna lead us to our next national championship. dont turn this guy into the next marlon lucky, :sarcasm a guy we cant respect because he apparently didnt live up to his 5 star hype.