Those Saying Cody Green Can't/Shouldn't Start..

Something else i think you have to consider is that if you choose to redshirt him then what happens the year after next? you go through next season with witt or lee as the starter then the next year say thanks time to back up the kid? i think if you redshirt him your kinda saying hes a backup till whoever starts next year moves on and since we wont have a senior qb next year that wouldnt be year after next, how long do you sit him on the bench?... just something to think about...

Something else i think you have to consider is that if you choose to redshirt him then what happens the year after next? you go through next season with witt or lee as the starter then the next year say thanks time to back up the kid? i think if you redshirt him your kinda saying hes a backup till whoever starts next year moves on and since we wont have a senior qb next year that wouldnt be year after next, how long do you sit him on the bench?... just something to think about...

If the kid isn't the best player and cannot beat out the guy ahead of him, then what exactly is the problem? Are we just going to hand the kid a job just because of the hype that surrounded him?

He's sits the bench until he's the best player and can get on the field. If there's always someone better than him and he rides the pine his whole career, I'm ok with that. Best players should play.

What if the kid is the only shot at 10 wins next season? The coaches and the University owe it to the player to make him the best he can be (cue Army recruiting music). If the kid only develops to 80% of what he can be by starting him next year instead of becoming close to 100% by letting him get comfortable and developing then it is a mistake. Believe me, when under pressure a player will go back to his old habits or what he knows, not what the coaches are trying to teach him. His overall development will not be accelerated by putting him on the field before he knows his stuff. Whatever it takes to get him to be the player we believe we have, should be done.

If the kid isn't the best player and cannot beat out the guy ahead of him, then what exactly is the problem? Are we just going to hand the kid a job just because of the hype that surrounded him?

I agree with BigWillie

And if he is the best, he should start at that time whether it's next year or 2010 or 2011. There's absolutely no reason for someone to keep their starting job even if they've done nothing wrong, if there's a better player behind him. This happens a lot these days, at least more than it used to.

And for the comment about Vick...he redshirted. It turned out to be the wrong thing since he left early anyway (might as well have taken a few snaps his freshman year), but neither he nor Young played their first year in college.

I want the coaches to see him in a college environment before calling him a starter or redshirt or whatever, no matter what level high school he was at.

What if the kid is the only shot at 10 wins next season? The coaches and the University owe it to the player to make him the best he can be (cue Army recruiting music). If the kid only develops to 80% of what he can be by starting him next year instead of becoming close to 100% by letting him get comfortable and developing then it is a mistake. Believe me, when under pressure a player will go back to his old habits or what he knows, not what the coaches are trying to teach him. His overall development will not be accelerated by putting him on the field before he knows his stuff. Whatever it takes to get him to be the player we believe we have, should be done.

That's just silly and based on nothing but 'what ifs' and things that never happen. And in the long run, not only are you doing an injustice to the player, but our program. You would prefer a player not get fully developed, thus hurting our program since he could have potentially been better over the long haul just so he can learn on the fly?

And his development is the major key point with Cody Green. His development is the thing that will mean EVERYTHING to this kids future. He is absolutely raw at the QB position, mainly with his mechanics and throwing ability. Cody is basically a WR playing QB right now.

Baker Steinkuhler, by all accounts, he is absolutely murdering folks right now. However, it took him almost a full season to get to the point he is at right now. Should we have let him learn on the fly, essentially wasting his first year of eligibility just so he could learn on the fly?

Constant repetitions is what gets you to the point of breaking those habits. If you believe a year of development will not help ANY player of their bad habits, then I don't know what to say.

Cody Green made honorable mention for the Texas 4-A All-State football team, named by the state AP sports editors. I'll bet someone is going to claim a bias against the Huskers for why he's not first or second team. :dumdum

First team was Garrett Gilbert from Lake Travis, where I believe Todd Reising was also from. He's going to UT, and while I don't follow recruiting that closely, I've seen him as very highly ranked. 38 TDs and just 2 INTs.

Second team was a kid from Denton.

I don't think the 5A team has come out yet.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/gen/...State_List.html (you might need an account to see this)

Cody Green made honorable mention for the Texas 4-A All-State football team, named by the state AP sports editors. I'll bet someone is going to claim a bias against the Huskers for why he's not first or second team. :dumdum

First team was Garrett Gilbert from Lake Travis, where I believe Todd Reising was also from. He's going to UT, and while I don't follow recruiting that closely, I've seen him as very highly ranked. 38 TDs and just 2 INTs.

Second team was a kid from Denton.

I don't think the 5A team has come out yet.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/gen/...State_List.html (you might need an account to see this)

That second team qb (scott young) tossed 65 tds according to rivals!?!?!?!

Did either of those two QB's lead their team to the state title game, and kick a game winning field goal? I guess it shows you what kind of talent they have in Texas, if a guy like Cody Green is only honorable mention.

Yes to the state title game (Lake Travis is in the 4-A Div 1 finals), but you've got me on kicking a game winning field goal, for whatever that means, unless we think Green may double as a kicker.

Did either of those two QB's lead their team to the state title game, and kick a game winning field goal? I guess it shows you what kind of talent they have in Texas, if a guy like Cody Green is only honorable mention.

Yes to the state title game (Lake Travis is in the 4-A Div 1 finals), but you've got me on kicking a game winning field goal, for whatever that means, unless we think Green may double as a kicker.

He kicked the game winning field goal in the semis. First FG attempt by the team this year.

The second team QB is only a junior, and has not been sharing kicking duties in games yet, but he has been making 55+ yarders in practice, and has run the 100m in 10.5....................... <_<

totally made thatt last part up... in fact the only truth to that is that he's a junior :wacko: