Those Saying Cody Green Can't/Shouldn't Start..

The kid is still taking classes in high school, it's a little early to be saying he should or shouldn't be our starter next year. There are kids who can come in as true freshmen and start right away for teams who are very good teams (like Pryor and Ohio State). However, it's an incredible burden in my opinion to put on a kid to expect that from him. I hope he comes in and gives us four years of great play. When talking to friends in discussions about next years QB I have often said that our starter next year may not even be here yet, but I do think it's unlikely that he ends up as our starter over other guys who have two or three years in the system already. Either way, we have a great player coming in and I am geeked about that!

There is a huge difference in the speed of the game from high school to D1 college. If you listen to the experts, they claim the only position where a kid could jump from the high school level to the pro level is the WR position because of the massive difference at each level in speed. QB is a highly skilled and refined position. Even though he's coming in early, he more than likely won't be ready to start by the beginning of the 09' season. Even TO didn't throw Frazier out there as starter until like the 4th or 5th game of the season his frosh season. If this kid is all that's advertised and lives up to everyones expectations here, I would hope the staff would work him in slowly like Ohio State did with Pryor this year.

Even the most extraordinary of high school athletes in the most competitive high school environments can't just get by with their athleticism in big-time college ball.

Shows how much you know about College football!!!! Can I say Mike Vick... Dude couldnt throw a football threw the open doors of a barn and he dominated D-1 football and made the pros!!!!

And for those of you saying the teams that Green is playing in Texas High School football dont know a thing about it.. The teams that are still in the playoff are top notch teams with plenty of talen.. BET that.. Its not his fault he makes them look bad... There isnt a top college program that doesnt have a kid or 2 from Texas on its team..

It'll be interesting to hear NU fan opinion if CG rides the pine for a couple years behind Witt or Lee or Spano. How much flak will the coaches take for redshirting him? I think fans WAY over-value measurables and tend to forget how valuable having an upper classman really is. Experience, leadership, and mostly good decision-making are valuable at QB.

There is a huge difference in the speed of the game from high school to D1 college. If you listen to the experts, they claim the only position where a kid could jump from the high school level to the pro level is the WR position because of the massive difference at each level in speed. QB is a highly skilled and refined position. Even though he's coming in early, he more than likely won't be ready to start by the beginning of the 09' season. Even TO didn't throw Frazier out there as starter until like the 4th or 5th game of the season his frosh season. If this kid is all that's advertised and lives up to everyones expectations here, I would hope the staff would work him in slowly like Ohio State did with Pryor this year.

work him in slowly... like they did with pryor... hell he was thrown to the dogs.... they did nothing on offense until he was their qb... all i have to say is if it looks like he gives us the best chance play him... he does remind me of pryor though... huh... he will be good either next year or the one after... i feel sorry of defensive coaches when he does start... let the kid get here first... and then see what he has

Even the most extraordinary of high school athletes in the most competitive high school environments can't just get by with their athleticism in big-time college ball.

Shows how much you know about College football!!!! Can I say Mike Vick... Dude couldnt throw a football threw the open doors of a barn and he dominated D-1 football and made the pros!!!!

And for those of you saying the teams that Green is playing in Texas High School football dont know a thing about it.. The teams that are still in the playoff are top notch teams with plenty of talen.. BET that.. Its not his fault he makes them look bad... There isnt a top college program that doesnt have a kid or 2 from Texas on its team..

When Cody develops Mike Vick type athleticism, you let me know. When any QB on the face of this earth develops Mike Vick type athleticism, you let me know as well.

And Cody has not played top competition all year. For example, the best team he played this year is Friendswood (also 4A) and Cody played horribly in that game. Besides Brenham, who was not even that good this year, and Friendswood, Cody has played sub-par competition all year, including in the playoffs.

Even the team they are playing this weekend in Kerrville Tivy has an absolutely HORRID defense. They allowed 30+ppg during the regular season. Just a horrid team defensively, but yet they are in the state semi-finals. Cody and Dugat will have a field day with the defense they are about to face.

*I should note that just because I say Green and Dugat will have field day does not mean Dayton will roll. Kerrville Tivy has been able to win this year based on a great offense which offsets their horrid defense. Dayton's defense should have just as many problems with Kerrville's offense that puts up some serious points on the board.

Like I said, Cody can use his athleticism to get by on the level he is at. But he is gonna struggle if he expects to do that on the next level. All the reason more to RS the kid.

Man.. top to bottom this is an enjoyeable thread to read. Good stuff/opinions, etc.

I'm like Big W.. I think ZLee looked a lot better than Witt. Unfortunately all PT has been mop up.

It will be interesting to see how Spano & CG compete with those two. If CG is the best play him. If he isnt, then RS him. I'm not for two QBs sharing the ball. But I think the first three games, really, you need to find out on the field in a game who is going to get the job done. We are not a championship team, but we are building towards that. So get guys in there at different times is all I'm saying, if no one is the clear cut man. Allow one of them to win the job on the field & become the leader for the rest of the season.

Agreed, we need Green to start. We don't know that much about the receivers next year so we might need someone that had the ability to run if nothing is developing. The qb at Baylor, Robert Griffin came in his freshman season and led the bears to most of their wins, and almost beat us and TT.

I think he needs to redshirt a year and learn the offense and besides we havent signed him yet

It is all going to depend on how CG does in spring ball and fall ball. If he picks up the offense and outplays the other quarterbacks, then IMO, we should start him next year. However, if he comes in and doesn't pick up the offense as fast or as well as the other quarterbacks have picked it up, then he should redshirt. I do believe that there are players out there that can come in and pick up the offense as true freshman and make an impact to start for a D1 team at quarterback. Is CG one of those people, IDK. However, I am going to let him try first before I will say he will or will not be able to do it.