Those Saying Cody Green Can't/Shouldn't Start..

Why not? Because he needs more time?

Chew on this. Zac Taylor came in and had actually a month or two less than Green will have to learn a playbook that was SUBSTANTIALLY larger than what it is now, and sure we struggled from time to time, but he got the job done.

Now, we bring a guy with incredible measurables, who fits our system to a T, and we don't think he has the capacity to do the same thing, given that all the variables stack up better in his favor? Why don't you think it can be done?

I'm not saying he CAN or CAN'T, i'm saying he might or might not be able to, and if he can, I would love to see it happen.

That's all!

It's not just learning a playbook, it is adjusting to the whole college lifestyle. Getting used to balancing class, homework, film, weightlifting, practice, partying, in addition to getting used to a world with much much more pressure than he has grown accustomed to in high school. If I'm not mistaken, Zac had 1 year at Wake and at least 1 more at the JUCO level where he had time to adjust to all of the outside distractors. Maybe Green can do it, but one must keep all of these variables in mind.

Hm...what about our offense suggests that it is one where a freshman who is an unpolished passer can come in from an unfamiliar HS system and start?

When Taylor, a WCO QB, came in from a similar offense in the JC ranks, we had NOBODY and he took his lumps in his first year before improving *dramatically* in his next. Taylor was a guy who REALLY knew our offense, and we succeeded under him.

With Ganz, we see someone who spent nearly four years absorbing the offense and waiting in the wings before blossoming. He doesn't have the measurables, but he's been successful because he REALLY, REALLY knew our offense.

I doubt it. First, is his HS offense really similar to ours? Maybe you're right, but from the stats I've seen, doesn't really look like it. Green needs the redshirt year, I think.

Hm...what about our offense suggests that it is one where a freshman who is an unpolished passer can come in from an unfamiliar HS system and start?

When Taylor, a WCO QB, came in from a similar offense in the JC ranks, we had NOBODY and he took his lumps in his first year before improving *dramatically* in his next. Taylor was a guy who REALLY knew our offense, and we succeeded under him.

With Ganz, we see someone who spent nearly four years absorbing the offense and waiting in the wings before blossoming. He doesn't have the measurables, but he's been successful because he REALLY, REALLY knew our offense.

I doubt it. First, is his HS offense really similar to ours? Maybe you're right, but from the stats I've seen, doesn't really look like it. Green needs the redshirt year, I think.

1. Do you actually know that the JUCO offense Taylor ran was similair to our WCO? I've never heard anything along those lines.

2. Ganz did spend his whole career absorbing the offense sure, but it's not that he JUST blossomed this year, it just seems that way because we haven't seen him do anything until he got the chance to, and as soon as it was his turn he looked good. Maybe he would have looked good a while before then.

3. I don't know much about Cody's high school offense in terms of X's and O's, but I know they are almost always shotgun, I've seen them run a number of screen passes, tons of zone read plays, etc., which are all prevalent in our offense.

So again I say, Taylor did take his lumps, Ganz did spend his entire career learning the offense, and Green is still in high school. But he has better measurables, has a significantly slimmed down version of the previous offense, and has at least some experience running a lot of the same stuff we run right now...

By no means whatsoever am I trying to put added pressure on this young HS Kid, but it has been A LONG, LONG time since NU has had an offensive skill player as talented as CG come in. This has nothing to do with knowing the playbook and whatnot, but just sheer ceiling potential. Watson during his time at NU and CU has never worked with this type of talent. Having said that, he maxed out Klatt, Taylor and Ganz as far as they could go with their limited talent level.

The spring QB position battle should be interesting.

Why not? Because he needs more time?

Chew on this. Zac Taylor came in and had actually a month or two less than Green will have to learn a playbook that was SUBSTANTIALLY larger than what it is now, and sure we struggled from time to time, but he got the job done.

Now, we bring a guy with incredible measurables, who fits our system to a T, and we don't think he has the capacity to do the same thing, given that all the variables stack up better in his favor? Why don't you think it can be done?

I'm not saying he CAN or CAN'T, i'm saying he might or might not be able to, and if he can, I would love to see it happen.

That's all!

It is not so much what he can or cannot do --- it is more a function of what those ahead of him can do. It would be really unlikely that anyone could come straight out of high school and climb over the three that NU now has. We are loaded at QB.

I dont know who the guy will be. It's fairly possible we'll see several guys get opportunities the first four weeks if nothing is clicking.

Unfortunatley for the Huskers, this conference is about putting up a lot of points. I think whoever can get this team touchdowns will have the edge, even if he isnt polished with the playbook or knows all the reads & makes a few mistakes here and there. The QB has to be the leader with the ability to make plays in this conference. He'll have several years to mature and grow with the offense. The first four games are important, but the conference games will always mean a lot more to the team. We need to have whoever ready by then.

Should be exciting and hopefully someone rises above the others and earns the job quickly.

By no means whatsoever am I trying to put added pressure on this young HS Kid, but it has been A LONG, LONG time since NU has had an offensive skill player as talented as CG come in. This has nothing to do with knowing the playbook and whatnot, but just sheer ceiling potential.

None since Harrison Beck, anyway.

Let's give Green a chance to prove himself before annointing him as anything.

Correct me if im wrong but the players we currently have at quarterback have virtually nothing but practice reps and the most playing time theyve got upto now is basically the spring game i dont think its out of the question for CG to come in and have a solid chance of starting and having the huskers look ahead for the future because to be honest our strong sets next year will be our offensive line and running backs so we need a quarterback that can make throws when needed but mainly to manage the game, while i think all of them are probably capable of that i think watching CG highlights he might be able to not only do that but also bust the occasional run for 50+... i guess in the end if at the end of spring ball hes anywhere near the level of understanding of our offense the other qbs have then id give him the nod to go ahead and start... IMO GBR!

Watson will tailor this offense to its strengths. I do believe that he could start. The early enrolling will help..

I haven't seen enough of any current qb other than Ganz that I could say has 'it'

Don't think any of us have seen enough to say who has IT. But the three QBs on the roster are definitely talented, which will make it a hard climb to the top for any of them. A MUCH harder climb than Zac Taylor had, although he probably would have started regardless. He was a special QB, with a real mind for the game.

Correct me if im wrong but the players we currently have at quarterback have virtually nothing but practice reps and the most playing time theyve got upto now is basically the spring game i dont think its out of the question for CG to come in and have a solid chance of starting and having the huskers look ahead for the future because to be honest our strong sets next year will be our offensive line and running backs so we need a quarterback that can make throws when needed but mainly to manage the game, while i think all of them are probably capable of that i think watching CG highlights he might be able to not only do that but also bust the occasional run for 50+... i guess in the end if at the end of spring ball hes anywhere near the level of understanding of our offense the other qbs have then id give him the nod to go ahead and start... IMO GBR!

Right...because CG has even less than that.

Not knocking Green. But you yourself say that we need a quarterback that can make the throws and manage our offense. That doesn't point the "probably starter" arrow in Green's direction, at all.

Landlord, I think Taylor's JC offense had to have been more similar to our offense than Green's is to ours. We don't run almost always shotgun, and we tend to throw more than 10 times a game. I don't know, maybe Green could be our guy, but the odds are way against him, IMO. I think he needs that redshirt year.

Dont get me wrong i would love just as much for Witt or Lee to come out and just look great and ready to roll but all im saying is if they all come out of spring pretty even id rather put the ball in the hands of someone who can make plays with his feet too, havent seen to much of Witt or Lee having the running ability Green brings to the table