one more salute to joe ganz

hack

Steven M. Sipple: Ganz's legacy a good one

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Joe Ganz’s legacy at Nebraska?

In short, the senior quarterback is the clear-cut MVP of a 2008 Husker team that’s provided ample optimism for a proud and tradition-rich program that’s trying to return to elite status.

It’s perhaps only proper that the final Cram Session of this college football season tips its cap to arguably the foremost leader among players on the Nebraska squad that jump-started Bo Pelini’s tenure.

Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson was overcome with emotion Tuesday when asked about coaching Ganz in his final collegiate game. Watson had to cut off the discussion, he was so emotional.

Ganz’s statistics are exemplary and in some ways stunning given his lack of recognition nationally. His career pass-efficiency rating of 159.8 trails only Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow among active quarterbacks.

However, the Cram Session appreciates Ganz for much more than the big numbers he posted.

It’s impossible to quantify how much his intelligence, savvy, fearlessness and cocksure nature helped stabilize and energize a program that was reeling in the wake of last season’s horrific finish — Nebraska lost six of its last seven games en route to a 5-7 record.

Make no mistake, Nebraska is a squad that’s gotten strong leadership from several areas — from Tom Osborne on down the line. But the quarterback and head coach obviously play lead roles in the formation of any team’s identity. And this obviously was a strong-willed Husker outfit, one that retained a gunslinger’s swagger even after a pair of lopsided defeats (Missouri and Oklahoma).

After each loss — Missouri on Oct. 4 and Oklahoma on Nov. 1 — Nebraska rebounded with strong performances, a testament to leadership.

What’s more, one marvels at Ganz’s strong grasp on a rather complicated offense. Ex-Husker Zac Taylor always emphasized how much he leaned on Joe for knowledge.

And hey, Ganz also has some talent.

“With all due respect to those other (talented) quarterbacks in our conference, the best quarterback for us and our system is Joe Ganz,” Watson told reporters earlier this week after a Gator Bowl practice. “He’s the most complete quarterback I’ve ever coached and he does it by extending plays, making plays and managing the game.”

Could Pelini have found a quarterback better-suited than Ganz to help jump-start his program? That’s hard to imagine.

gonna miss ya, joey. you're time as qb was way too short.

As the years go on I don’t know what this kid’s legacy will be but I hope he isn’t an after thought in people’s minds kind of like some treat Zac Taylor. Those two guys had a lot more weight on their shoulders then most and they did marvelous things for us.

Just think if it wasn’t for some Big Red fans favorite whipping boy Billy C. they would have never heard of let alone got a chance to love :wub: on Joe Ganz. So all the Ganz lovers out there need to tip their glasses to Billy C. :cheers

If and when Watson gets a Head Coaching gig how much do people want to bet that Ganz ends up on his staff?

I'll admit that I had serious doubts about Joe Ganz. I'm really glad that he stuck it out and earned his shot. There are still times when I wonder WTF he is doing, but that's gonna happen with any player. Definitely a guy who has played above and beyond what was expected from him.