Here's a look at NU's prospects for 2009

This is a pretty comprehensive look at what we got to look foward to with positions, players, and opponents....long, but a very nice article.

Here's a look at NU's prospects for 2009

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 - 12:16:37 am CST

A satisfying feeling of Nebraska football progress has made its way across the state, but the inevitable shift in conversation is about to occur.

Year 1 in the Bo Pelini era has mostly been declared a success. But you can already hear the page turning and the question coming: What might Year 2 bring?

Heading into Thursday’s Gator Bowl matchup against Clemson, Nebraska players and coaches spoke about the game being a springboard for the program. So perhaps you can consider the Huskers airborne, flying high into winter conditioning and then spring football after a 26-21 win and, most importantly, a 9-4 record.

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini isn't happy with Nebraska's Lance Thorell (23) after Colorado scored their second touchdown of the first quarter, Friday, November 28, 2008. (Ted Kirk)

Story Photo

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini isn't happy with Nebraska's Lance Thorell (23) after Colorado scored their second touchdown of the first quarter, Friday, November 28, 2008. (Ted Kirk)

“We have the right guy at the head with Coach Pelini, and these guys are seeing what it takes to get us back to that (top) level,” quarterback Joe Ganz said after his final game as a Husker. “This is just a great way to provide confidence and positive feelings going into winter conditioning and spring ball.”

But new names will have to step up for the Huskers, especially at the skill positions. Gone now are Ganz, receivers Nate Swift and Todd Peterson, and I-back Marlon Lucky.

Gone is the starting right side of the offensive line — tackle Lydon Murtha and guard Matt Slauson.

And on defense, gone are six players who had Blackshirts by season’s end: cornerback Armando Murillo, linebacker Tyler Wortman, defensive tackle Ty Steinkuhler and defensive ends Zach Potter, Clayton Sievers and Shukree Barfield.

On top of that, there is the waiting game to see if Ndamukong Suh, the junior nose tackle who says he’s about 99 percent sure he’s coming back for his senior year, stays in Lincoln and does not declare for this year’s NFL Draft.

Suh is listed No. 31 on Scouts Inc.’s Top 32 NFL draft-eligible players, with only three other defensive tackles rated higher. The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft is Jan. 15.

One reason Suh has said he will probably return is he loves playing for these coaches, and he’s eager to see what additional concepts they might bring to a defense in their second season.

“I mean, we’re not basic this season, but I don’t think our coaches unleashed their full package of what they have,” Suh said.

Potter agreed, saying it’ll be much easier next season for defenders. They’ll better understand the Pelini system. The bowl practices helped. The spring will obviously help.

“I think next year you’ll see a lot more complex defense,” Potter said. “Guys will remember everything we did this year, and they’ll be able to install even more.”

But who will be the key figures on that defense? Who will be The Man to replace Ganz? And who will be the new starting quarterback’s targets at wide receiver?

Of course, it will be the quarterback competition that consumes Husker fans this offseason.

Sophomore-to-be Patrick Witt and junior-to-be Zac Lee seem to be the lead candidates to replace Ganz. Witt has been complimented by coaches for his maturity and understanding of the offense. Lee is strong-armed and mobile. Both have been around long enough to know the system well.

“It’s going to be a friendly competition,” Witt said a few weeks ago. “Coach (Shawn) Watson orchestrates it so it’s very fair and balanced. We’ve just got to go out there and perform.”

Witt may have a slight edge right now. It was Witt coaches called on to replace Ganz for a play in the Gator Bowl after Ganz suffered a hard hit. But coaches have said publicly throughout the fall that the race between the two has been back-and-forth.

Not to be discounted from the conversation are incoming recruit Cody Green and redshirt freshman Kody Spano. Green enrolled at NU and will start classes in a couple weeks, a move that will allow him to get a jump-start on the Husker offense.

Whoever the quarterback is, he will be aided by talent at running back and tight end.

It seems quite likely tight end Mike McNeill will be a top target for a first-year quarterback next season. McNeill is coming off a season in which he set a school record for most catches at his position with 32. He also had six touchdowns.

And at running back, there’s Roy Helu, Quentin Castille and Marcus Mendoza. Helu showed his promise when he rushed for more than 100 yards in three of the final four regular-season games, averaging 6.7 yards per carry before a knee infection slowed him in the bowl game. And Castille is coming off a career-high 125 yards against Clemson.

The offensive line loses Slauson, Murtha and Mike Huff off the two-deep. But center Jacob Hickman returns, and coming back at guard are D.J. Jones, Ricky Henry (redshirted this fall but heralded for his tenacity), Keith Williams and perhaps Andy Christensen, who would likely be granted another year of eligibility for a medical hardship earlier if he decides to return.

At tackle, the Huskers will have the likes of Mike Smith, Jaivorio Burkes, Marcel Jones and Brandon Thompson. Transfer Derek Meyer, who has one year to play for Nebraska after a previous stint at Kansas State, could also provide some punch, at guard or tackle.

“There is going to be so much power and physicality,” Slauson said of next year’s line. “Jacob Hickman has great smarts and great feet. Keith Williams has unbelievable power. Mike Smith is just real gifted.”

One of Nebraska’s biggest challenges as an offense will be replacing Swift and Peterson, who both finished in the top five on Nebraska’s career reception chart, with Swift at the top of the list.

Menelik Holt (30 catches for 355 yards) and Niles Paul (23 catches, 214 yards) are among the favorites to fill their shoes, but they’ll need to establish a bigger presence and have some help. Those who could offer it include Curenski Gilleylen, Khiry Cooper, Chris Brooks and Will Henry. The Huskers could also get a boost from 2008 recruit Antonio Bell if he’s academically eligible and junior college recruit Brandon Kinnie.

Defensively, the strength would still seem to be the line, especially with the assumption that Suh will be back.

The Huskers will have good experience at the defensive end spots with the return of Pierre Allen and also likely Barry Turner, who is expected to be granted another year of eligibility after an early season injury in 2008. Sophomores-to-be Terrence Moore and Jared Crick also have experience, but will need to reach another step.

Most interesting will be to see how Nebraska’s back seven shakes out. Best known of the returning linebackers is senior-to-be Phillip Dillard. But other contenders for starting roles have emerged, including Blake Lawrence (who had an impressive Gator Bowl), Colton Koehler and Mathew May. Factor in 2008 recruits such as Will Compton, Sean Fisher and Alonzo Whaley, and there should be pretty strong competition for playing time.

The competition will also be tough in the secondary. Aside from Murillo, the main components return — including cornerback Anthony West and safeties Rickey Thenarse and Matt O’Hanlon. Then there’s Eric Hagg, who saw a lot of time in NU’s nickel package and is coming off a late-game sack in the bowl game that could serve as a confidence-builder. The Huskers also get a pick-me-up with the return of cornerback Anthony Blue from an ACL injury.

Then there’s a wealth of players who will want to prove they deserve some snaps, like Major Culbert, Lance Thorell, Alfonzo Dennard, P.J. Smith, John Levorson, Courtney Osborne, Mason Wald and Jase Dean, a walk-on who has gained some attention this fall while redshirting. To go with all those names, there are six players on Nebraska’s recruit list who are anticipated to play in the secondary.

It’s evident it won’t exactly be a sleepy offseason around here.

Pelini said as much after Thursday’s win, recognizing the significance of the moment for the senior class, but also sending a message to his younger players that they had to keep building off the victory.

“Now we just have to keep it going and pick up that torch that the seniors left and keep running with it,” Pelini said.

(Returning starters in CAPS)

Offense

LINE

Key returners: Tackles - MIKE SMITH, so.; Jaivorio Burkes, so.; Marcel Jones, rfr..; guards - KEITH WILLIAMS, so.; D.J. Jones, so.; centers - JACOB HICKMAN, jr.; Mike Caputo, rfr.

Ready to emerge?: Tackles - Brandon Thompson, fr.; Derek Meyer, jr.; guard - Ricky Henry, jr.; Cruz Barrett, so.

Moving on: Guards - Matt Slauson, Mike Huff; tackle - Lydon Murtha

Comments: NU coaches are expecting big things from Henry, a junior college transfer from Omaha. Meyer, a transfer from Kansas State and NU’s 2008 scout team MVP, could play guard or tackle, offensive line coach Barney Cotton said. Marcel Jones practiced at left tackle throughout December, Burkes on the right side. Guard Andy Christensen’s status is yet to be determined, Cotton said.

Quarterback

Returners: Patrick Witt, rfr.; Zac Lee, so.; Kody Spano, fr.

Ready to emerge?: Cody Green

Moving on: Joe Ganz, Beau Davis

Comments: The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Green, of Dayton, Texas, is enrolled at NU and will participate in spring drills.

Running back

Key returners: Roy Helu, so.; Quentin Castille, so.; Marcus Mendoza, rfr.

Ready to emerge?: Collins Okafor, fr.; Lester Ward, fr.

Moving on:

Comments: Helu looked like an emerging star late in the season. Castille drastically improved his stock in the Gator Bowl. Mendoza is extremely quick.

Receiver

Key returners: Tight ends -MIKE McNEILL, so., Dreu Young, so.; Wideouts - MENELIK HOLT, jr.; Chris Brooks, jr.; Will Henry, so.; Niles Paul, so.; Curenski Gilleylen, rfr.

Ready to emerge?: Ryan Hill, rfr.; Khiry Cooper, fr.; Steven Osborne, fr.; Tim Marlowe, fr.; Ben Cotton, fr.

Moving on: Nate Swift, Todd Peterson

Comments: Plenty of young talent in the system. Who will step up to replace the steady production of Swift and Peterson?

DEFENSE

(Returning starters in caps)

LINE

Key returners: Tackles - NDAMUKONG SUH, jr.; Terrence Moore, rfr.; Jared Crick, rfr.; Ends - PIERRE ALLEN, so.; BARRY TURNER, sr.

Ready to emerge?: Tackles - Baker Steinkuhler, fr.; Quentin Toailoa, fr.; Ben Martin, so.; Ends - Josh Williams, fr.; Cameron Meredith, fr.; Will Yancy, rfr.; Tyrone Fahie, so.

Moving on: Tackle - Ty Steinkuhler; Ends - Zach Potter, Clayton Sievers, Shukree Barfield

Comments: Suh says he’s 99 percent certain he’ll return for his senior season instead of declaring for the NFL Draft. Barry Turner broke his leg in the second game this season and will receive a medical redshirt.

LINEBACKER

Key returners: PHILLIP DILLARD, jr.; Blake Lawrence, so.; Colton Koehler, jr.; Latravis Washington, so.; Mathew May, rfr.; Matt Holt, fr.

Ready to emerge?: Will Compton, fr.; Sean Fisher, fr.; Micah Kreikemeier, fr.; Alonzo Whaley, fr.; Thomas Grove, so.

Moving on: Tyler Wortman, Cody Glenn

Comments: Whaley was defensive scout team MVP. Fisher and Compton also are regarded as rising stars.

SECONDARY

Key returners: Safeties LARRY ASANTE, jr.; RICKEY THENARSE, jr.; MATT O’HANLON, jr.; Major Culbert, jr.; cornerbacks - ERIC HAGG, so.; ANTHONY WEST, so.; LANCE THORELL, so.; Prince Amukamara, so.

Ready to emerge?: Safeties - Courtney Osborne, fr.; Mason Wald, fr.; P.J. Smith, fr.; Kyler Reed, fr.; Austin Cassidy, rfr.; Adam Watson, so.; Cornerbacks - Alfonzo Dennard, fr.; John Levorson, fr.

Moving on: Armando Murillo

Comments: The secondary was inconsistent in 2008, but could become a team strength in 2009.

2009 Husker schedule

(2008 record in parenthesis)

Sept. 5 - Florida Atlantic (7-6)

(Howard Schnellenberger’s Owls won a bowl for second straight year)

Sept. 12 - Arkansas State (6-6)

(Finished in a tie for second in Sun Belt, not invited to bowl)

Sept. 19 - at Virginia Tech (10-4)

(Beat Huskers 35-30 in Lincoln, won ACC and Orange Bowl)

Sept. 26 - Louisiana-Lafayette (6-6)

(Finished in a tie for second in Sun Belt, not invited to bowl)

Oct. 3 - at Missouri (10-4)

(Won Big 12 North and Alamo Bowl, but lose big offensive weapons)

Oct. 17 - Texas Tech (11-2)

(Barely beat Huskers at home in OT; thrashed in Cotton Bowl)

Oct. 24 - Iowa State (2-10)

(Lost at home to Huskers; new coach Paul Rhoads is a defensive guru)

Oct. 31 - at Baylor (4-8)

(Once Huskers contained QB Michael Griffin, the Bears slowed down)

Nov. 7 - Oklahoma (12-1)

(Sooners and Heisman winner Sam Bradford steamrolled Huskers in Norman, won Big 12 South and will play for BCS national title)

Nov. 14 - at Kansas (8-5)

(Huskers handled Jayhawks in Lincoln, but KU rallied for Insight Bowl win)

Nov. 21 - Kansas State (5-7)

(Wildcats lost at home to NU, then brought Bill Snyder back out of retirement)

Nov. 27 or 28 - at Colorado (5-7)

(Buffaloes struggled all year before nearly upsetting Huskers in Lincoln)

Pretty good look at what is coming up next season....

Look at the youth! Ladies and gents this is going to be your Cornhuskers for the next three years or so. Enjoy the ride back to the top of the Big12 and maybe more!

i am tripping out reading all this stuff... i am really optomistic but at the same time reall wondering how everthing will fall into play... Bo sets the standards pretty high so hopefully we can overcome a lot of the pieces that we are going to be missing... i think realisticly we are gonna be missing some BIG pieces from last year and consistency is really going to be the key... i guess we will still have to guess until spring ball rolls around so we can learn a little bit more about what the future holds

On paper this looks very promising. With all of the extra practice they were able to get in before the bowl game only helped these young guys. With that being said, these young guys did not get very many opportunities to play in games this year. Being able to practice well helps, so I hope they can carry it over to game time situations. I am sure Bo and company will have them all prepared and I HOPE that Suh stays here. He could learn even more and up his stock for the draft next year.

Overall, there is going to be a lot of excitement for these guys and some pretty high expectations for all (coaches and players).....I cannot wait!

This looks really exciting to me. The way I look at this is. The team this year had to basically start over from scratch and relearn how to play technique football. Yes they did struggle, but all in all they bought in and looked so much better than the year before.

Looking at all of the kids returning, and the way it sounds the same staff in place for next year, this could be a huge step towards being back to the elite level we want to be at. They have this year, and a lot of time with these coaches to learn and be fundamentally sound.

There are some ?'s but I realy think this staff will have them overcome some of the inexperience on offense next year and some on defense hopefully just a little if Suh is returning. The biggest thing will be they won't have to reprogram the kids coming in. GBR

We're playing Virginia Tech again? Damn.

They're suppose to be ranked high next year.

Sorry, but damn we're playing someone good is not the attitude we need. I get tired of playing puffs. If we want to play our way back into contention for a national championship it will be with wins over schools like WVA not Eastern Missippi Poly-Tech. Beat the good teams because you are who you beat. GBR.

T_O_B

We're playing Virginia Tech again? Damn.

They're suppose to be ranked high next year.

Sorry, but damn we're playing someone good is not the attitude we need. I get tired of playing puffs. If we want to play our way back into contention for a national championship it will be with wins over schools like WVA not Eastern Missippi Poly-Tech. Beat the good teams because you are who you beat. GBR.

T_O_B

I didn't say we couldn't beat them. I just said they're supposed to be ranked pretty high. A high ranked team, however, doesn't mean they're necessarily good (Ohio State).

I have no doubt in my mind we can beat them.

The dreaded offseason :bang Good article, I think the writer should have placed all the secondary as "ready to emerge" they were consistently the weak spot on this season and hopefully they turn it around next year! All in all great turnaround and already getting excited about what the "new" guys will bring! I would like to see Compton, Stienkuhler (sp) become rising stars and the race for the QB spot should be fun, unless Green is a superstar which is highly unlikely I see him RS his first year, and let Witt, Lee and Spano have it out.

I think the QB race will be especially compelling. Lee and Witt could be so close, they'll be graded on how they tie their shoes.

Also, the development of the defensive backfield should be something to watch.

WRs are a bit of a concern. Does Brooks finally step up? Does Holt become the "go-to" guy? Do we land a freak that turns into a game changer?

Can't wait for April 18th!