Predict the scores for the 2009 schedule

JTrain

I think we will have one maybe two losses next year. I think those losses will come against OU and possibly Va tech. It drives me up the wall to see everyone say KU is going to be this great team bc they return Meier Briscoe and Reesing. Does this take away the fact that both our o line and d line dominated theirs? On top of that we will have more speed on the field this year and have a much better understanding of the scheme. That also doesnt take away the fact that they lose all three starting linebackers. We only beat them by ten last year but we completely dominated that game with no depth and any position on defense. I think we win that game by at least 14 points. The Baylor game is the same, our d had no depth and really not a lot of speed. If we have any speed we dont give up those two big plays Griffin had. CU still doesnt have a qb that is effective and overall doesnt have the talent that we have. I realize that everyone is cautious to get excited bc of the cally years but for the love have some faith. With the people we have coming back (Suh, Turner, Allen, Dillard, Asante, Thenarse, Blue, Helu, Castile, Holt, Mcneil, Paul, Burkes, Hickman, Smith0 mixed with the redshirt players we are going to have a pretty good team. Probably not saying much but I think it will be the most complete team we've had since the 01' season.

Why does everyone think we will lose at Va Tech? I predict 11-1 - OU is going to be tough with Bradford back.

Where should I start? Virginia Tech beat us last year in Lincoln. They won the ACC Championship and won a BCS bowl. They'll be ranked in the top 15 to start the season, and in the top 5 if they beat Bama. Most importantly, they return their starting QB (who is 13-2, second in VT history to Michael Vick) while we do not. The game is in Blacksburg, where they don't lose too many.

I'm not saying we don't have a chance. A win would be HUGE for us. But any moderately objective outlook should favor VT.

Why does everyone think we will lose at Va Tech? I predict 11-1 - OU is going to be tough with Bradford back.

Where should I start? Virginia Tech beat us last year in Lincoln. They won the ACC Championship and won a BCS bowl. They'll be ranked in the top 15 to start the season, and in the top 5 if they beat Bama. Most importantly, they return their starting QB (who is 13-2, second in VT history to Michael Vick) while we do not. The game is in Blacksburg, where they don't lose too many.

I'm not saying we don't have a chance. A win would be HUGE for us. But any moderately objective outlook should favor VT.

Who said anything about being objective. I am anything but objective.

The Va Tech game was early in the season. I firmly believe we improved more than they did since that game. You have a great point with regards to the QB situation - they definately beat us on that front. I believe we have an edge in total offense and kicking (Henery is a stud). That and we're the good guys. Huskers win.

Okay...I've left you football infidels alone long enough and see while I've been gone, you've been unilaterally dismissing or, even worse, trashing the Mighty Cyclones :angry:

Florida Atlantic: W 27-24

Arkansas St: W 42-13

@ Va. Tech: W 24-21

Louisiana-Lafayette: W 52-10

@ Missouri: W 17-14

Texas Tech: W 31-28

Iowa State: L 0-450,236,656,300

@ Baylor: W 27-24

Oklahoma: L 42-24

@ Kansas: W 45-35

Kansas State: W 63-10

@ Colorado: W 49-9

Losers.... <_<

Okay...I've left you football infidels alone long enough and see while I've been gone, you've been unilaterally dismissing or, even worse, trashing the Mighty Cyclones :angry:

Florida Atlantic: W 27-24

Arkansas St: W 42-13

@ Va. Tech: W 24-21

Louisiana-Lafayette: W 52-10

@ Missouri: W 17-14

Texas Tech: W 31-28

Iowa State: L 0-450,236,656,300

@ Baylor: W 27-24

Oklahoma: L 42-24

@ Kansas: W 45-35

@ Colorado: W 49-9

Losers.... <_<

HS! Your back! We were getting worried! In fact there was a thread started wondering if you planning on making a special trip to Alabama........

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32049

---edit---

I see you have already found the mentioned thread. Funny stuff Cy.

• 3 months later...

Let me revisit this now that spring ball is over and I've sobered up a bit. :koolaid2: Here's another take, to sorta play Devil's Advocate to my original.

Our defense might not be as great as I was hoping. Maybe not even close. Suh is our our only real stud. Losing Zach Potter is really going to hurt our defensive line, and I don't think Turner will ever recapture his pre-injury ability. Our linebacking corps may very well be mediocre or just plain poor unless somebody really steps up. All indication seems to be Dillard isn't getting with the program and may not even start. Considering I was planning on him anchoring the unit, that's a bad sign. Our DBs will be decent, but I would be lying to myself if I told you I didn't expect them to give up their fair share of big plays once again.

On offense, having a new QB is almost never a good thing. Lee may turn out to be a very good Husker QB, but it won't happen right away. He will throw some costly picks this year. Our offensive line will be solid, but considering the fact that we're gonna be doing a lot of running, we need better than solid if we wanna have a shot at beating the best teams on our schedule. Our receivers are serviceable I think, but I don't see us slinging it around successfully against the better defenses we'll face. I'm sure Helu will have a great year, but that doesn't mean much for the success of the team (see Lucky '07).

We will lose by a couple TDs to Virginia Tech, lose close at Mizzou, get lit up by OU and probably lose close to Kansas. Texas Tech, Baylor and Colorado are all games I could definitely see us losing as well, but I'll keep those in the win column for the time being. 8-4 and maybe an Alamo Bowl bid... :moreinteresting

Florida Atlantic: W 35-10

Arkansas St: W 49-7

@ Va. Tech: L 13-28

Louisiana-Lafayette: W 31-13

@ Missouri: W 24-21

Texas Tech: W 48-45

Iowa State: W 70-3

@ Baylor: W 24-21

Oklahoma: L 17-31

@ Kansas: W 28-24

@ Colorado: W 35-24

Big XII Champ. Texas/OU: L 24-35

Holiday Bowl???: W 35-24

Wow JTrain your post spring thoughts might be the compete opposite of what mine are. Obviously our freshmen linebackers are going to be a little green to start with. They only had 14 practices before the spring game, but will have four months of work and knowledge of the system by the time our first game comes around. We will have two games before our first real test for Lee to get ready and four before conference play. It was encouraging to me to see the hitting going on during the game and a lot of them came from the LB's. That along with the overall speed the defense displayed was far, far better than last year. IMO Lee will be fine, its our o line that we have to worry about. There was a lot of pressure during the spring game, although that could be attributed to mixing up the chemistry. I was actually impressed with our receivers and they will get a big boost from the production of the TE's. I think we will lose only one game and that's to OU. I have no idea how anyone thinks we will lose to Mizzou. They lose their three year starting qb, two year impact receiver, three year impact tight end, best d lineman, best secondary player and offensive coordinator. KU's o line won't be able to handle Suh and their defense wasnt able to handle our running game last year, how does anyone think they'll be able to handle it this year with their three starting linebackers gone?

Let me revisit this now that spring ball is over and I've sobered up a bit. :koolaid2: Here's another take, to sorta play Devil's Advocate to my original.

Our defense might not be as great as I was hoping. Maybe not even close. Suh is our our only real stud. Losing Zach Potter is really going to hurt our defensive line, and I don't think Turner will ever recapture his pre-injury ability. Our linebacking corps may very well be mediocre or just plain poor unless somebody really steps up. All indication seems to be Dillard isn't getting with the program and may not even start. Considering I was planning on him anchoring the unit, that's a bad sign. Our DBs will be decent, but I would be lying to myself if I told you I didn't expect them to give up their fair share of big plays once again.

On offense, having a new QB is almost never a good thing. Lee may turn out to be a very good Husker QB, but it won't happen right away. He will throw some costly picks this year. Our offensive line will be solid, but considering the fact that we're gonna be doing a lot of running, we need better than solid if we wanna have a shot at beating the best teams on our schedule. Our receivers are serviceable I think, but I don't see us slinging it around successfully against the better defenses we'll face. I'm sure Helu will have a great year, but that doesn't mean much for the success of the team (see Lucky '07).

We will lose by a couple TDs to Virginia Tech, lose close at Mizzou, get lit up by OU and probably lose close to Kansas. Texas Tech, Baylor and Colorado are all games I could definitely see us losing as well, but I'll keep those in the win column for the time being. 8-4 and maybe an Alamo Bowl bid... :moreinteresting

I think that is fairly realistic. OU is almost surely a loss. VT, Mizzou, and Kansas should all be interesting. TT, BU, and CU will be tough as well.

With that schedule I guess I'd have to consider 8-4 and the Alamo/Holiday successful. :(

However . . . 2010 has MUCH higher expectations.

Florida Atlantic: W 31-17

Arkansas St: W 56-0

@ Va. Tech: W 28-14

Louisiana-Lafayette: W 45-14

@ Missouri: W 35-21

Texas Tech: W 38-28

@ Baylor: W 42-35

Oklahoma: L 17-24

Big XII Champ. Texas/OU: L 21-49

Decent Bowl bid will result from an 11-2 record. This is all if no major players are injured.

You can tell me I'm drinking Kool-Aid if you want, but I see a talent gap between us and the rest of the conference except OU/UT. We have something we have been missing, speed!

There is speed all over the field now, and you can go a long way with a stud DT like Suh. KU, BU, CU are the only ones I see as not a sure thing besides the two losses. I really like Pelini's chances against a very similar team as last year in VT. I don't think that game will ever be in doubt, honestly. He has the speed to use different pressure schemes than last year. We were very risky when we brought pressure last year because of a lack of speed in the back 7, not so this year. We will improve in the secondary, watch PJ Smith. He will be a starter by the middle of the season.

Just my $.02.

Florida Atlantic: W 31-17

Arkansas St: W 56-0

@ Va. Tech: W 28-14

Louisiana-Lafayette: W 45-14

@ Missouri: W 35-21

Texas Tech: W 38-28

@ Baylor: W 42-35

Oklahoma: L 17-24

Big XII Champ. Texas/OU: L 21-49

Decent Bowl bid will result from an 11-2 record. This is all if no major players are injured.

You can tell me I'm drinking Kool-Aid if you want, but I see a talent gap between us and the rest of the conference except OU/UT. We have something we have been missing, speed!

There is speed all over the field now, and you can go a long way with a stud DT like Suh. KU, BU, CU are the only ones I see as not a sure thing besides the two losses. I really like Pelini's chances against a very similar team as last year in VT. I don't think that game will ever be in doubt, honestly. He has the speed to use different pressure schemes than last year. We were very risky when we brought pressure last year because of a lack of speed in the back 7, not so this year. We will improve in the secondary, watch PJ Smith. He will be a starter by the middle of the season.

Just my $.02.

"@ Va. Tech: W 28-14"

Not saying that you can't beat us - I think most of us in Blacksburg recognize the improvements under Bo and those of us that follow our team closely know that anything can happen when two good teams meet. BUT, it does not happen too often that we lose by two TDs at Lane Stadium. It is a loud place for visitors and I really don't think we will get outplayed too badly by most visitors. I just can't wait for that game.