Can Huskers run the Florida Spread Option Offense?

rkhufu7

im so sick of this. watch again how well they run the option. it sucks. it literally effing sucks. that average qb of Floridas doesnt hold a torch to the option callers we've had in the past. you guys are falling into a media trap. its his TEAM for chrissakes. not the 'messiah'....

2 picks and 24 total points against a terrible big 12 defense whose offense did nothing to support them? How can you not love the guy? :sarcasm

Meanwhile Harvin runs for 100 yards on 6 carries and gets no love.

[Tim Tebow average? Whatever. Here is all I have to say about all the Tebow bashing, if he was the NU quarterback doing what he is doing at Florida people would be saying how great he is. Media trap? I think that is funny sure Tebow is a National Media darling and it makes people not like him, however on a local note Joey Ganz with the Local Media darling and the whole Husker Nation loved it, had crushes on him, and some would probably allow him to be the father of one of their children. The treatment of the 2 by the media was pretty comparable when you use National for Tebow and Local for Ganz. Also if Tebow is average then what does that say about all the QB’s besides Tommie that have played here because Tommie is the only one that is better then Tebow.

I agree. I'm not a big Tebow fan but if you were to replace "Tebow" with "Crouch", then people might have a better perspective. It seemed like fans throughout college nation hated Crouch but NU fans and the media had a man-crush on him.

One Thing about Tebow....He never met a camera he didn't like! What a Ham! The only time I see him getting pumped up is when HE makes a play. He does great humanitarian stuff and is a good person blah, blah. But come on, He's a publicity hound from the get go.

He does great humanitarian stuff and is a good person blah, blah.

And he'll tell you all about it, too. I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to brag about charity. He must have missed that day in Sunday school. Nice personal foul there at the end, too. For a guy that wins so much he ought to know how to act like it.

im so sick of this. watch again how well they run the option. it sucks. it literally effing sucks. that average qb of Floridas doesnt hold a torch to the option callers we've had in the past. you guys are falling into a media trap. its his TEAM for chrissakes. not the 'messiah'....

then you'd better slap tom osborne around then because he's said on more than one occasion that he admires how meyer runs the spread.

and i'm thinking if anyone here knows offense in the state of nebraska, it's TO.

I don't agree that it was near as good as Ours in years past.

What do you expect TO to say when he is asked a question by the media like that? The media would have Loved if TO would have said the power option we ran was much better. They would have hung him at the stake. TO is way to smart to fall into that kind of trap. Just saying :dunno

The people that don’t like Tebow because he is good and because the media love him are lame in my eyes. Like I said if he was the QB at NU you all would be chubbing at all the attention he was getting.

As far as the personal foul penalty goes, give me a break if you have a problem with that. He was talking smack to a guy that had been talking all game. Anyone remember Tommie, LP, or Ahman high stepping on their way to the end zone? Is it classless when a Blackshirt throws up the bones? (same as doing the Gator thing)

If Joey “everyone’s man crush” Ganz was out there fist pumping, trying to get the crowd into, talking trash the people on here would be saying how much fire and passion he has and would love on him for doing it.

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form saying that the media doesn’t over do it with Tebow, however this is nothing new with sports and when he graduates next year and moves on they will pick someone else to love on. I will also bet that people will complain about that person too.

As far as the Florida offense goes, there is a little statement in Shatel’s article today that says Pelini said if he changed to a spread attack Florida’s would be the one he would use.

Could this team do it? No. Could Nebraska do it eventually? Yes.

Florida obviously has way more talent than we do , and they have a bruiser for a quarterback. They run that style of offense because of how Tebow is. If you look at their previous championship (before 2009), they were a bit more of a spread pass attack and less option running. Tebow packs quite a punch and they revamped the offense to fit him.

Cody Green and Spano ran option and zone reads in HS. The Harvin's and Demps are not NFL RBs or WRs, they are tweeners. Florida runs a veer offense from the gun. They have 2 tall outside WRs and a TE which are the main receiving threats. They have to very fast HBs or slot WRs, which they play one in the slot and the other in the backfield. They sub one back with a traditional FB for more blocking or put both in the slots and run an empty set. They run inside zone, traps, counter sweeps and isos and even powers along with the options and shuffle passes to TEs, basic WR bubble and tunnel screens, PAs and boots off zone read and other base plays and basic spread 3 and 5 step pass plays. The offense is VERY simple and you could run it. Make Castille the main back, put Helu or Gilleyen/Paul in other slot and the tall WR like Holt out wide, with a TE and with Lee, Spano or Green you can run this offense!

I see your point but you didn't once answer or bring up one of the biggest parts to all of this..the O-line. You need an extremely powerful o-line to run any sort of offense, especially the one Florida runs.

NU's OL in the 90s wasn't the biggest, some years they had like most guys in the 280-290 range. You can run that offense and a power-I. It is much harder to prepare for the option than a power I, unless they mix in some option!

did you watch the game last night? They were jerking tebow off all night long, very slanted IMO. One of the announcers said something along the lines of (on the PF teabag got towards the end) "That's probably the only thing he's ever done wrong" what a load of sh#t, it was pathetic.

Yeah, but we had a lot of people over, so I was just watching, not really listening.

did you watch the game last night? They were jerking tebow off all night long, very slanted IMO. One of the announcers said something along the lines of (on the PF teabag got towards the end) "That's probably the only thing he's ever done wrong" what a load of sh#t, it was pathetic.

I watched it and I noticed all of that stuff, but you can’t hold that against Tebow. Announcers aside from a select few suck and play favorites every game. I don’t know how many times doing OU games this year it was all about Bradford or Texas games it was all about McCoy. Doing the Texas/OSU game they showed McCoy’s family and girlfriend more then anything besides the bands.

I watched it and I noticed all of that stuff, but you can’t hold that against Tebow. Announcers aside from a select few suck and play favorites every game. I don’t know how many times doing OU games this year it was all about Bradford or Texas games it was all about McCoy. Doing the Texas/OSU game they showed McCoy’s family and girlfriend more then anything besides the bands.

...or his sister? I don't know, but how f'ing hot was she?

Wow!

We are all forgetting the love for Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Troy Smith.....

it happens every year, is it overkill? Yes. Is it our fault for listening, watching, and surfing for this crap that is spewed 24 hrs a day? A little. Is it ESPN's success by doing this driving everyone else to copy it? Absolutely. :espnsucks: Am I answering my own questions like Brett Favre? Your f'ing right I am.

What about CBS showing Boogers family every other shot during their bowl game...made me wanna puke. :bang