Next seasons starting linebackers

Last and only point I will take issue with is your assertion of strength and endurance being the same thing. I am basing my point on the scientific definitions of strength vs. endurance. The official definition of muscular strength is how much physical ability is in them, i.e. how much can they lift. Muscle endurance is how long can the muscles perform, often measured at a sub-optimal performance level like lifting 80% of your max. This is the only way I have ever had it described to me in training and in sports medicine journals, articles, etc. Here is an example: http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/musassess.html. If for pitchers it is lingo to call them the same then that is similar to a colloquial twisting of the actual definitions.

Again, this is wrong.

This is the way it has always been described to me in simplest terms -- think of your arm as your heart. The heart of any pitcher is his arm. To improve your overall endurance for any day-to-day vigorous activity you must strengthen your heart. The same applies to your arm.

To put it even more simply -- how do you improve conditioning of your arm? You must work your arm out with something as simple as a long toss program or doing 'tube drills'. Either way, to improve overall conditioning so you can play later in games you must strengthen your arm to get to this point.

You are thinking in the simplest terms of strength = big muscles. Not so. Simply look at someone like a Lance Armstrong. Even in his legs Lance is not a big man, but no one would even doubt his strength or conditioning. Same thing for a pitcher.

You are confusing the concepts of what strength really means with what endurance means. Yes gaining endurance = a gain in strength as a part of the process, this is where you are mixing up the two. It is not as simple as stregth = big muscles, twisting my words now I guess. You need strength in your body to allow you to do the activity at a high level, you need endurance to let you do it at a high level for a long period of time. Training for these are often linked together, however they are not the same and this is a common misconception. When you train for one vs. the other you gain benefits in the other area, but not to the level you would if you focused on the other. Most good training programs focus on both to varying degrees, different sports require different things. Easy way to look at is comparing Sprints vs. Middle Distance Runners, both events I have experience in. Sprints are an example of strength being the best attribute. Endurance is needed to a certain point especially with heats being required, along with running multiple events, however the athelete needs a greater focus on strength and speed. The ability to perform at the highest level possible with no restraints due to the short distances involved. Anything middle distance and above, for this I will include 1500m and up since 800m is basically a spring event these days, you have to do speed and strength work to gain ability. You need endurance and distance training to give you the ability to do go the distance at the highest sub-optimal level possible.

You are confusing the concepts of what strength really means with what endurance means. Yes gaining endurance = a gain in strength as a part of the process, this is where you are mixing up the two. It is not as simple as stregth = big muscles, twisting my words now I guess. You need strength in your body to allow you to do the activity at a high level, you need endurance to let you do it at a high level for a long period of time. Training for these are often linked together, however they are not the same and this is a common misconception. When you train for one vs. the other you gain benefits in the other area, but not to the level you would if you focused on the other. Most good training programs focus on both to varying degrees, different sports require different things. Easy way to look at is comparing Sprints vs. Middle Distance Runners, both events I have experience in. Sprints are an example of strength being the best attribute. Endurance is needed to a certain point especially with heats being required, along with running multiple events, however the athelete needs a greater focus on strength and speed. The ability to perform at the highest level possible with no restraints due to the short distances involved. Anything middle distance and above, for this I will include 1500m and up since 800m is basically a spring event these days, you have to do speed and strength work to gain ability. You need endurance and distance training to give you the ability to do go the distance at the highest sub-optimal level possible.

And again, involving different concepts of distance running versus sprint dashes is a completely different thing and a whole different concept compared to what we are talking about.

You throw a baseball, you are training your arm. You throw a baseball, you are conditioning your arm to be able to throw greater lengths in games. It's simple and really not debatable at all. Even a quick Google search will teach you everything you need to know on this subject.

While you may be able to teach me a thing or two about track and field, you should take me at my word on this. Too many years spent on a baseball diamond to argue otherwise.

Man this strength debate can go on for days.... Muscular strength and muscular endurance are defined generally as the ability of the muscles to generate force. Even though muscular strength and muscular endurance are related , there is a basic difference between the two. Strength is defined as the ability to exert maximum force against resistance. Endurance is the ability of a muscle to exert force repeatedly over a period of time. Muscular endurance depends to a large degree on muscular strength, and to a lesser degree on cardiovascular endurance. An example of muscular strength is lifting a heavy weight 10 times, while an example of muscular endurance is lifting a lighter weight 100 times.

There is also the fast-twitch vs. slow-twitch arguement in terms of muscle fibers when discussing strength. Slow-twitch muscle uses oxygen more efficiently and can be beneficial to long distance runners while the fast-twitch fibers are where you get your explosion from. So really both of you are partially right.

Just checkin in to make sure that debate with the posts too long to read is still going...........yep.

I too think Blake Lawrence should get a shot. He has good endurance and fast-twitch muscle strength and can dunk a ball and run fast and far and throw a baseball really hard and jump higher. At least thats how my 3 year old daughter would say it.

Can't wait to see what Dejon Gomes does, his highlights are nasty, Our secondary is gonna take a big step forward next year. The whole defense is gonna be better except where Potter is vacating. Allen could reach his play, he has some nice potential.

Another year in the system, Bo will finally start to get creative in his game plans using different formations and more complicated schemes.

Suh coming back was big time huge, and to think of Baker next to Suh, with Turner back starting. And the young LBs that a lot of people talk about.

Can't wait to see what Dejon Gomes does, his highlights are nasty, Our secondary is gonna take a big step forward next year. The whole defense is gonna be better except where Potter is vacating. Allen could reach his play, he has some nice potential.

Another year in the system, Bo will finally start to get creative in his game plans using different formations and more complicated schemes.

Suh coming back was big time huge, and to think of Baker next to Suh, with Turner back starting. And the young LBs that a lot of people talk about.

I agree and it will be interesting to see the type of blitzing he will add to the D the speed and strength of the D will be awesome to watch. I really can't wait should be a lot of fun.

:bonez:bonez:bonez