Lucky named MVP of East-West Shrine Game

Lucky needs all the press he can get if he is going to be drafted/invited to an NFL camp... <_<

Lucky named MVP of East-West Shrine Game

By CHRIS DUNCAN / The Associated Press

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 - 07:45:54 pm CST

HOUSTON — Marlon Lucky made the most of his rare moments in the spotlight in the East-West Shrine Game.

The former Nebraska running back rushed for 68 yards and a touchdown on seven carries and the East defense stopped the West three times inside the 10-yard line to secure a 24-19 win Saturday in the annual showcase for college all-stars hoping to make an impression on NFL scouts.

Lucky was only the Cornhuskers’ second-leading rusher this season, splitting carries with Roy Helu and Quentin Castille. By season’s end, Lucky was hampered by a toe injury and needed a good performance on Saturday to help his chances of playing in the pros.

“It was a big one for me,’’ said Lucky, voted the game’s Offensive MVP. “I didn’t have a strong year and to just come out and play my game and show what I can do, I seized the opportunity. Now it’s back to training.’’

Javarris Williams and Tyrell Sutton had touchdown runs for the East. Tom Brandstater and Stephen McGee threw touchdown passes for the West.

Lucky was third on the East’s depth chart coming into this game, behind Sutton and Williams.

“I’ve been on the back burner for a while,’’ Lucky said. “I needed it bad. My season wasn’t very good, so I had to come out and perform.’’

Former Huskers Matt Slauson and T.J. O’Leary also took part in the game.

Nice to see him show up when it matters.

:bs: wow, can't believe all the Lucky bashing around here... :blink: So what if he did not live up to the hype, he came here and had stiff competition at RB the whole time, he did not whine about it or threaten to transfer, he stuck it out, did what was asked, graduated and now gets the old :nutz from the fans. I was happy to see him have a good day at the all star game and hopefully he will land somewhere in the NFL.

I wish we all could have been able to see what Lucky was really capable of. It never really seemed he reached his potential/hype. I wish him all the best and I hope he gets a chance to at least prove himself. He may be the next Buckhalter?????

He can blame BC for not being able to show what he was capable of, this year O-line didn't help him any the first half of the season. Even so, he still put up some good numbers for the situation. I just hope the pro scouts realize that he is coming from a bad situation, and one will take a chance on him. Running backs in the NFL don't seem to have very long careers...and he may have a problem with his durability.

I wish we all could have been able to see what Lucky was really capable of. It never really seemed he reached his potential/hype. I wish him all the best and I hope he gets a chance to at least prove himself. He may be the next Buckhalter?????

He can blame BC for not being able to show what he was capable of, this year O-line didn't help him any the first half of the season. Even so, he still put up some good numbers for the situation. I just hope the pro scouts realize that he is coming from a bad situation, and one will take a chance on him. Running backs in the NFL don't seem to have very long careers...and he may have a problem with his durability.

:yeah

:bs: wow, can't believe all the Lucky bashing around here... :blink: So what if he did not live up to the hype, he came here and had stiff competition at RB the whole time, he did not whine about it or threaten to transfer, he stuck it out, did what was asked, graduated and now gets the old :nutz from the fans. I was happy to see him have a good day at the all star game and hopefully he will land somewhere in the NFL.

I was not bashing him, I was just saying he did not live up to the hype he came in with.....he did have pretty good numbers and did leave his mark. We can sit here and blame it on the previous coaching staff all we want, but you cannot deny the fact that he did not live up to the hype. Maybe we/I have too high of expectations.

I truly hopes he does get a chance in the NFL. If he has a good showing at the NU pro day and since he obviously played well in the East/West Shrine bowl I am sure scouts are taking a more serious look.

I'm a big fan of Lucky and I think he gets a raw deal with a lot of us fans.

However there is one thing about the extremely high expectations that many fans hold against him.

That is that Marlon had them too... There is a reason why he wanted the number 20.

He then switched to five because he didn't feel he was living up to his expectations.

Marlon always was a class act, and he battled a lot of things, with injuries, depth chart etc and you never heard him complain in many ways he was what many think of when they think of a "true husker" yet he still gets slammed by many husker fans not just here but in public and other boards and they call him a bust. It is simply uncalled for, no he wasn't the next Johnny the Jet, but he was pretty damn good.

I remember reading that Lucky had spoken to Billy C about transferring after his sophomore year if Brandon Jackson didn't turn pro.

Cant blame Lucky for Nebraska's O-line play the first half of the year no one ran good. Then once the O-line started to gel Lucky got hurt and I don't think he ever really recovered from his injury. I wish him the best of luck it only helps Nebraska to have people get drafted.

The O-Line started to gel because there was not running back slamming into their backs towards the end of the year.

Cant blame Lucky for Nebraska's O-line play the first half of the year no one ran good. Then once the O-line started to gel Lucky got hurt and I don't think he ever really recovered from his injury. I wish him the best of luck it only helps Nebraska to have people get drafted.

The O-Line started to gel because there was not running back slamming into their backs towards the end of the year.

LOL may be that's how he got his turf toe!! Ok I am just kidding, but that is funny because it sure did seem like that happened an awful lot this season.

Anyway I am happy that Lucky played so well. He went through a lot the last couple of years, and I think he deserved it good showing for him and Slauson both!! :thumbs