ESPN's Prestige rankings..

No. 5

The top five: 1. Oklahoma; 2. Southern California; 3. Ohio State; 4. Notre Dame; 5. Nebraska.

5. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Total points: 1,553

Positives: Nebraska has five national titles, including two sets of back-to-back titles (1970-71, 1994-95). They followed up the 1994-95 titles with a shared title in 1997. The Huskers also have enjoyed the services of three Heisman winners: RB Johnny Rodgers (1972), RB Mike Rozier (1983) and QB Eric Crouch (2001). Nebraska ranks in the top five in numerous categories such as major bowl appearances (30, T-2nd), 10-win seasons (23, 3rd), bowl appearances (45, 4th), conference titles (26, T-4th), weeks at AP No. 1 (70, 5th) and major bowl wins (14, 5th).

Negatives: Nebraska isn't among the elite in the first three decades of the AP poll era. The Huskers are in 35th place in the Prestige Rankings when the 1950s began. Things didn't turn around quickly after that either. In fact, Nebraska had 17 losing seasons in a 21-season span between 1941 and 1961. More recently, Nebraska has produced only two first-round picks this decade, while finishing the season unranked in four of its last five seasons.

Through the decades: Through 1958: 49th | 1968: 23rd | 1978: 8th | 1988: 7th | 1998: 4th

Did you know? Nebraska had a record 35 consecutive bowl appearances from 1969 to 2003. The longest current bowl-appearance streak belongs to Florida State, which has 27.

Dude, Notre Dame is squarely in our sites. Only 26 point difference.

so you mean once we win the MNC and Big 12 title next year, and Notre Dame finishes 23rd with a 6-7 record including another bowl loss we'll jump em??

I'm just glad ND OSU and USC weren't #1. I bet ND fans are having aneurysms right now.

It would be interesting to see them add the years prior to 1936 in somehow. NU was pretty successful in those years. ND and Michigan should move up then. Hard to decide who to use as NC in those years though.

post-4426-1232732041.jpg

No way in hell Ohio state should be above us. No way

In 1998, Nebraska was 4th and Ohio State was 6th. The last decade with just 2 BCS games and 2 losing seasons has dropped Nebraska.

Of course Notre Dame was 2nd for almost the entire length of the ratings and has now faded to 4th with their lost decade.

Damn, didn't realize that. The page I was looking at hadn't linked it yet. I guess ND suffered from not being in a conference.

It hurts to see OU #1.

On the bright side, this started from 1936. Considering the rankings were to start since the very beginning of college football, OU wouldn't be number 1. In fact, we might have been ahead of them. This also means that Michigan, Notre Dame, and Bama would've been higher ranked. ( Michigan and Notre Dame most likely @ 1 and 2 )

The points seemed pretty fair and I'm guessing they didn't cheat us out of points (they know someone in huskerland will check their math on anyone ahead of us - you know who you are). Overall - probably one of the best program rankings that I've seen. Seems objective. #5 will turn to #4 here pretty quick with Bo at the helm.

Does anyone know the reason they started their formula at 1936? I cant think of a significant reason to start there.

*edit* Nevermind. Guess I should just read the link next time.

Why start with the 1936 season?

The AP poll was introduced that season, making it the first time the longest-standing news organization in the United States began ranking teams and crowning a national champion. Starting in 1937, the NCAA began recognizing "major college programs" (now known as the FBS). To accrue points, a program had to be recognized as one of these major programs by the NCAA. Those years are listed on pages 426 and 427 of this year's NCAA Football Record Book.