CBS Sports Blog-Disgusting Party at Nebraska

Good rule of thumb in determining your outrage:

Replace the word "Nebraska" with "Texas" in any story about football players run amok, and see if you would refuse to pass it along as scurrilous rumor.

Sorry GC, but the kind of crap this writer, with the credibility of CBS behind him, chose to spread is reason for termination if he is on the CBS payroll... and I don't care if its Miami or Oklahoma of who ever it is that he is taking to tax. This jerk doesn't deserve a job.

T_O_B

OK, it was a Facebook posting and players accepted invites. Whether they went or not, it still looks bad and it will cause writers to write about it. You could say "he jumped the gun" but this was hardly a scurrilous rumor anyways. Blame the guys who posted this up on Facebook and the guys who accepted invites, not the writer who saw it and went "Wow."

And you can bet if this were Texas, Oklahoma, or any other school, and we would not even be thinking about whether or not the story is valid.

OK, it was a Facebook posting and players accepted invites. Whether they went or not, it still looks bad and it will cause writers to write about it. You could say "he jumped the gun" but this was hardly a scurrilous rumor anyways. Blame the guys who posted this up on Facebook and the guys who accepted invites, not the writer who saw it and went "Wow."

And you can bet if this were Texas, Oklahoma, or any other school, and we would not even be thinking about whether or not the story is valid.

So is it safe to use Facebook as a source the next time I have to write a paper?

Hah. Obviously not.

I'm not going to totally exonerate the writer, whose article was overenthusiastic. Just went overboard and started the hangings a little too early. A more modest "hey, this was on facebook. hm....questionable" type article would have done good; instead, he went for the throat. And now he has egg on his face.

But honestly, he had no reason to believe it wasn't what it looked like.

Please don't compare real academic papers to journalism :) Facebook is obviously not a source of information about research topics. But it is a source of information about social events. And it is public. Players gotta be careful with that.

Some of you jumped the gun. Might want to rethink how quickly you judge others before crucifying our own guys without the facts...

From the Lincoln Journal-Star:

LINCOLN — The weekend party plans that were posted on a popular social networking site and linked to several Nebraska football players are completely erroneous, coach Bo Pelini said Wednesday.

Speaking after his signing day press conference, Pelini took steps to quash potential rumors that may have developed from profanity-laced Facebook party invitations that mentioned and included a photo of Husker lineman Andy Christensen.

No football players were responsible for the Web site's material, Pelini said.

"I know for a fact that Andy Christensen was not involved, was not having a party, was not going to a party this weekend," Pelini said, "because whatever was posted on his Facebook page . . . was inappropriate. Our football team will not be going to such a party, and Andy Christensen had nothing to do with what was posted on that Facebook page."

Pelini said a friend of a former Husker player created the content, though he doubts that the university will take any disciplinary action.

The Facebook postings were referenced nationally on CBSSports.com, which reported that several Husker football players had accepted invitations to attend the planned party.

Christensen, concerned with the possible ramifications, approached Pelini about the situation Wednesday afternoon. But by then, Pelini said, he knew that Christensen had no part in the incident.

"It's a shame because Andy with everything that he's gone through, his name kind of got brought into this thing," Pelini said.

Last fall, Christensen was found not guilty of a sexual assault charge, but did plead guilty to resisting arrest and criminal mischief. He was granted a sixth year of eligibility, is going through winter conditioning with the Huskers and will play next season, Pelini said.

Exactly. Put down your pitchforks and torches.

Sometimes the media just needs to learn to stay out of people lives and stop digging for stories, I realize that is what they are paid to do. If I would have posted a party like that, nobody would have said a word. These kids are in college; let them live a college lifestyle in the off season as long as what they do is legal and obeys the team rules.

Just proves that anybody can write anything on the Internet and attach somebody else's name to it. Hey, didn't a Husker fan get in major trouble for doing a very similar thing to some Oklahoma players last year?

Some of you jumped the gun. Might want to rethink how quickly you judge others before crucifying our own guys without the facts...

From the Lincoln Journal-Star:

LINCOLN — The weekend party plans that were posted on a popular social networking site and linked to several Nebraska football players are completely erroneous, coach Bo Pelini said Wednesday.

Speaking after his signing day press conference, Pelini took steps to quash potential rumors that may have developed from profanity-laced Facebook party invitations that mentioned and included a photo of Husker lineman Andy Christensen.

No football players were responsible for the Web site's material, Pelini said.

"I know for a fact that Andy Christensen was not involved, was not having a party, was not going to a party this weekend," Pelini said, "because whatever was posted on his Facebook page . . . was inappropriate. Our football team will not be going to such a party, and Andy Christensen had nothing to do with what was posted on that Facebook page."

Pelini said a friend of a former Husker player created the content, though he doubts that the university will take any disciplinary action.

The Facebook postings were referenced nationally on CBSSports.com, which reported that several Husker football players had accepted invitations to attend the planned party.

Christensen, concerned with the possible ramifications, approached Pelini about the situation Wednesday afternoon. But by then, Pelini said, he knew that Christensen had no part in the incident.

"It's a shame because Andy with everything that he's gone through, his name kind of got brought into this thing," Pelini said.

Last fall, Christensen was found not guilty of a sexual assault charge, but did plead guilty to resisting arrest and criminal mischief. He was granted a sixth year of eligibility, is going through winter conditioning with the Huskers and will play next season, Pelini said.

Odd, I didn't see a single one of our guys get crucified in this thread, nor pitchforks and torches.

Andy and Hunter are poor with or without this party. Much lamer than Michael Phelps.

If this wouldn't have gotten national press would NE players be there? Yep!! If I was in college I'd probably be there.

Football players aren't heroic. College kids do dumb things.

If the article was about CU, or OU, or Texas we'd be having a field day.

Lots of kids drink too much, and as I recall he was not CONVICTED of the sexual assault or whatever it was.

To avoid getting lambasted on my first post, I will say that I agree with what you are about to say: you should not put yourself in position for these kind of charges to filed against you....but who is perfect??

We are living in the McCarthy era again aren't we? People can bring charges up on others pretty easy these days, so I wouldn't point fingers at people just because they were charged, we should wait to crucify until they have been CONVICTED. There is a big difference. I don't even know ANDY, just for the record.

I don't wanna go down this road, but neither was OJ.

Andy = Richie Incognito Part 2, minus the talent

Lots of kids drink too much, and as I recall he was not CONVICTED of the sexual assault or whatever it was.

To avoid getting lambasted on my first post, I will say that I agree with what you are about to say: you should not put yourself in position for these kind of charges to filed against you....but who is perfect??

We are living in the McCarthy era again aren't we? People can bring charges up on others pretty easy these days, so I wouldn't point fingers at people just because they were charged, we should wait to crucify until they have been CONVICTED. There is a big difference. I don't even know ANDY, just for the record.

Whoa!!! OJ?? Just hope you folks that are crucifying an innocent ppl never get charged with something you didn't do...bc there are other folks just like you out there that will "know" you're guilty.

I'm pretty sure Andy didn't have the legal dream team defending him....didn't cause a high speed chase with blood in his car...etc. Oh, and the charges didn't involve murder. I don't know either party involved, but I've heard many disparaging comments about the girl from Lincoln students who don't know Andy...I'm just saying, he was exonerated and that means he's NOT guilty.

We all saw the OJ trial.......

oh, and was Richie charged or convicted of anything along these lines? Just wondering cause I thought he had anger issues with people on the team, such as Adam Carriker.

Whoa!!! OJ?? Just hope you folks that are crucifying an innocent ppl never get charged with something you didn't do...bc there are other folks just like you out there that will "know" you're guilty.

I'm pretty sure Andy didn't have the legal dream team defending him....didn't cause a high speed chase with blood in his car...etc. Oh, and the charges didn't involve murder. I don't know either party involved, but I've heard many disparaging comments about the girl from Lincoln students who don't know Andy...I'm just saying, he was exonerated and that means he's NOT guilty.

We all saw the OJ trial.......

oh, and was Richie charged or convicted of anything along these lines? Just wondering cause I thought he had anger issues with people on the team, such as Adam Carriker.

Whoa .. wait .. what? Andy never did anything? According to .. ? The court? I just got a speeding ticket dropped that I can assure you I did do. Pretty cool how our legal system works, eh?

And I guess you don't get the correlation. Just because you are found not guilty does not mean you were not guilty. Thus the OJ compariso. Geez.

And iust like OJ got off and Christian Peter got off for numerous things, it doesn't mean you didn't do anything.

Ask yourself this -- if Andy had did nothing wrong, why did he mess up the club before the police arrived then resisted arrest causing numerous officers to attempt to subdue him? Was it because he did nothing wrong or what it what was in his body that night and pure fear?

It isn't even as much as what Andy did as it was what led into even getting himself in that situation. His problems didn't start then and they haven't ended now either.

Andy has problems, severe problems. Anyone that I have ever spoken to about the guy has said the same thing. It isn't just one problem either. I hope the guy gets the help he needs, because I would never wish his problems on anyone. But to deny that, defend him or anything else either likely means you are friend/family to Andy or just stirring the pot to stir the pot.

It is sad, but Andy is very much like Richie in the best thing that could happen to him is to get away from football to fix his problems.

As far as Richie -- I will give a couple instances as I have in the past.

Richie is at a party receiving oral pleasure from a random girl in the bathroom. Guy walks in on this and Richie snaps on the guy. Richie proceeds to beat this poor guy down for simply walking in the bathroom at the wrong time.

The final straw that got Richie kicked off the team was a weight room fight with a teammate that he decked from behind. A bunch of he-she said crap lead to it and a 300lbs Richie wanting to hit someone from behind.

It's the glory of being a football player or mini-celeb. These guys know the rules don't apply to them. Or in the words of Rey Maualuga during a bar brawl his freshman year at USC when cops were threatened to be called, "go ahead, I own the police".

All I am saying is I hope you actually know the kid, which I'm betting probably is not the case....did you ever play the telephone game in school...

Also, a person might get extremely angry if they are getting accused of something they didn't do....especially if they have been drinking alot or if they have "problems" as has been stated many times by you Big Willie....think about it.

The flawed system works both ways....it is possible for women to bring up ridiculous charges against men to avoid embarrasment, keep the hubby away from the kids, etc....and it's a little easier to get out of a speeding ticket than it is to get off a charge of sexual assault. You're throwing pretty strong allegations around...I just hope you actually know these things and you're not just inferring them from stories you heard from random people who know people.

And in summary, in our society....not guilty is technically not guilty....until you meet the creator.

All I am saying is I hope you actually know the kid, which I'm betting probably is not the case....did you ever play the telephone game in school...

Also, a person might get extremely angry if they are getting accused of something they didn't do....especially if they have been drinking alot or if they have "problems" as has been stated many times by you Big Willie....think about it.

The flawed system works both ways....it is possible for women to bring up ridiculous charges against men to avoid embarrasment, keep the hubby away from the kids, etc....and it's a little easier to get out of a speeding ticket than it is to get off a charge of sexual assault. You're throwing pretty strong allegations around...I just hope you actually know these things and you're not just inferring them from stories you heard from random people who know people.

And in summary, in our society....not guilty is technically not guilty....until you meet the creator.

Personally, I do not know the kid and wish to never know the kid. However, from everyone that I have spoken to that does, the same thing comes back on Andy. I'd vouch that those guys know Andy and his situation as better than anyone. ;)

Andy got mad because the police were called? Oh yes, the first thing that gets in my mind when I did nothing wrong is I will compound the situation by attempting to wreck a bar which I will have to pay for, then fight with cops which I will DEFINITELY go to jail for.

And I never said Andy was drunk and I definitely did not say his problems were alcohol related. I only said Andy had problems. Anything after that is only what you assumed.

Man, you don't take correlations well at all, eh?

And dude, you don't have to believe me. I frankly do not care either way. However, your mind was made up before you read what I said. So why debate it? Just to debate it and attempt to stir the pot? If you think Andy is a good kid and really innocent, more power to you. We will have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Not guilty only applies in the court room and not to the actual world where facts actually apply. You are right about the last part though.