recruits not remembering NUs last national title...

i was just sitting here thinking, that in 1990-1993 when we were recruiting the players that won the 90s titles i dont think that any of them remembered the last national title we won. in fact they were not even born yet the last time we won the title.

so my question is, why do people think it is such a big deal that recruits do not remember our last title?

at least they were alive last time it happened...

i was just sitting here thinking, that in 1990-1993 when we were recruiting the players that won the 90s titles i dont think that any of them remembered the last national title we won.

Yeah, but...

Nebraska was almost always a top 10 team for as long as those guys could remember. Here are the bowl games and records of the teams prior to 1993 (11-1 loss to FSU in Orange Bowl for NT :bang ):

1992 9-3 Orange Bowl

1991 9-2-1 Orange Bowl

1990 9-3 Citrus Bowl

1989 10-2 Fiesta Bowl

1988 11-2 Orange Bowl

1987 10-2 Fiesta Bowl

1986 10-2 Sugar Bowl

1985 9-3 Fiesta Bowl

1984 10-2 Sugar Bowl

1983 12-1 Orange Bowl

1982 12-1 Orange Bowl

etc.

Nebraska legitimately started each year with the National Title as the goal and each of those years had a reasonable shot at it, and Nebraska almost always ended the year with a trip to a top Bowl game.

Since 2002, you can't say that. The kids today have grown up with a Nebraska that is outside the national attention. Sure some are aware of the past glories, but they know that if they go to Florida, Texas, or Oklahoma they will be playing for chances at the NT. At Nebraska, there is no guarantee. Now, put together another decent year and people might talk about a team on the rise, but right now it looks like just another inconsistent, middle-of-the-pack team.

i was just sitting here thinking, that in 1990-1993 when we were recruiting the players that won the 90s titles i dont think that any of them remembered the last national title we won.

Yeah, but...

Nebraska was almost always a top 10 team for as long as those guys could remember. Here are the bowl games and records of the teams prior to 1993 (11-1 loss to FSU in Orange Bowl for NT :bang ):

1992 9-3 Orange Bowl

1991 9-2-1 Orange Bowl

1990 9-3 Citrus Bowl

1989 10-2 Fiesta Bowl

1988 11-2 Orange Bowl

1987 10-2 Fiesta Bowl

1986 10-2 Sugar Bowl

1985 9-3 Fiesta Bowl

1984 10-2 Sugar Bowl

1983 12-1 Orange Bowl

1982 12-1 Orange Bowl

etc.

Nebraska legitimately started each year with the National Title as the goal and each of those years had a reasonable shot at it, and Nebraska almost always ended the year with a trip to a top Bowl game.

Since 2002, you can't say that. The kids today have grown up with a Nebraska that is outside the national attention. Sure some are aware of the past glories, but they know that if they go to Florida, Texas, or Oklahoma they will be playing for chances at the NT. At Nebraska, there is no guarantee. Now, put together another decent year and people might talk about a team on the rise, but right now it looks like just another inconsistent, middle-of-the-pack team.

Don't see why everyone is so worried. If we can get back on top of Missouri and Kansas all we need to do is run the table in the north and win our OOC games to be in good standing yearly. Not insurmountable and the recruits will pick up after a few years of this.

however, remembering it is not the point.

the question was: if it is so important then why were top flight recruits signing up to play here in the early 90s etc. those guys didnt remember our last national title, as they werent even born.

i think ohio pete gave a reasonable answer, but even then that says that recruits not remembering does not matter all that much.

I think the thing that matters most to the top recruits is who gives them the best chance at making the NFL. I don't think NC's mean as much to them as some of us would like to believe. OU hasn't won one for what 9 years now. They don't seem to be having trouble getting recruits.

True they may not have won it, but they are consistently in the BCS bowls and are always compteting for the NC, not to mention the CC. OU is also going to get top recruits because of the close proximity to Texas.

Doesn't matter at all. How many of them remembered Notre Dame's last bowl win before this season, let alone last National Title? How bout Michigan? At least we were in a national championship game this decade. UCLA? Tennessee? Auburn? Florida State? North Carolina? Michigan State? Stanford? Penn State? Virginia Tech? Texas A&M? Mississippi State?

Anyone remember when half of them won their last national title, or even if they've won one at all? I doubt some 18 year old kid does either. And yet these schools still get top recruiting classes, no reason Nebraska shouldn't.

Doesn't matter at all. How many of them remembered Notre Dame's last bowl win before this season, let alone last National Title? How bout Michigan? At least we were in a national championship game this decade. UCLA? Tennessee? Auburn? Florida State? North Carolina? Michigan State? Stanford? Penn State? Virginia Tech? Texas A&M? Mississippi State?

Anyone remember when half of them won their last national title, or even if they've won one at all? I doubt some 18 year old kid does either. And yet these schools still get top recruiting classes, no reason Nebraska shouldn't.

Exactly what I was thinking.....Notre Shame has done nothing and they still get some of the top kids.

Great points. Why, why is it that these programs recruit better than does NU? I have no real defensible explanation.

Great points. Why, why is it that these programs recruit better than does NU? I have no real defensible explanation.

Nebraska is in the middle of nowhere, we have alot of people who bad mouth us for that! Maybe if we spiced up Lincoln like Omaha, it would be more appealing for recruits! also, we did have a quiet 9-4 season, once our defense gets on national stage, we will recruit great! I wish NEB would start doing camps down in southern domes, I know it would cost us money, but if we did a camp in Tx, Cal, and Fla if would totally gain alot of interest! I live in Louisiana and they are so hard headed about the SEC, that they know nothing about other football

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Look at how great Cooper recruited at Ohio State. He never won a NC. Kids went there because Ohio State got the most players into the NFL. If Pelini builds a pipeline of defensive recruits to the NFL, we will get the best talent out there at least defensively.