Reasons why Nebraska will never be back...

HSKRNOKC

According to the all knowing Ultimatedude3312 on rivals free board. This is a Mizzou fan BTW. Please keep it clean. ( Its the offseason. We need something to talk about)

Why Nebraska will never be great again.

1. Steroid ban in the NCAA. Can't build dynasties now by having 70% of your players taking steroids anymore.

2. 85 scholarship limit. Can't have more than 85 kids on scholarship at a university which creates parity.

3. The Big 12 conference. The great Nebraska teams of the 70s, 80s, and 90s and only one main competition, OU. Even then, they weren't spectacular against them till the 90s. (4-8 in the 70s and 5-5 in the 80s). Now instead of having to deal with OU, they have Texas, Missouri, Texas Tech, and kU among others to deal with. Not only that but the great Nebraska has been to exactly 1, 1 Big 12 championship game. Missouri, Colorado and K-State have been to at least 2.

4. Prop 48. Got to have academic standards at Nebraska now. Can't take partial qualifiers and put together a team.

5. Nebraska itself. Has anyone been to Nebraska on this board that has no connections to Nebraska or business? Nope. Why is that? Nebraska is NOT a premier place to be. Most of the top talent in California is either staying there or going to Notre Dame. So that California pipeline is almost dried up.

6. TV. Why did people in the 40s and 50s go to these powers? Because they were always on TV. Now almost everyone can see any football game on a given saturday. So if you are a kid from Texas and you are down to Nebraska and Texas Tech and you will get the same amount of coverage at either school, which school would you choose? Probably the one closer to your home so your parents can watch you play.

Well there is my points to why Nebraska will never be great. Now watch the flame posts of the same "we have better fan support, that is why we are great" I guess after getting your ass kicked 3 out of 4 years, i guess that would be all you have for pride. Oh and the "we would of beat you in november" post.

Just watch and see MB, how delusional Husker fans are.

LINK...

First of all, thanks for posting, this is an interesting thread...

1. Steroid ban in the NCAA. -- Not sure any one program benefitted, steroids are an arms race. If it is happening and people are getting away with it, a lot of people will be doing it to keep up. If it is effectively controlled and not worth the risk, they won't. Net net, no one has a big advantage. Not feeling this point. I nu had roids guys, it is not like they were the ONLY ones....

2. 85 scholarship limit -- This is true, this hurts the traditional powers and helps teams like KU. Reesing would be at UT right now as a 4th stringer, probably sitting next to Chase Daniel for the last few years. It is not like NU cannot come back dto dominance due to this, but it does create more parity.

3. The Big 12 conference -- This is silly. Now instead of OU, you have to beat OU or Texas, whoever is better. You also get more prominent games during the season, as in the old Big 8 there were many years that only NU/OU got any attention since no one else had a chance. Since OU and UT are both in the South, I am not seeing this being a massive setback.

4. Prop 48 -- like roids, this effects most teams the same. DUke and Stnaford may have gained here, it has obviously throuwn them right into the title hunt to have their higher stnadards be more the norm <_<

5. Nebraska itself -- This is just name calling. It is not like Nebraska suddenly became some awful place where it had not been before. True, it is not for everyone, but obvisouly quite a few people have made the trek and liked it a lot.

6. TV -- I am not sure NU was on national TV that much in Big 8 days. DOn't get me wrong, they were on, but I do not remember NU being the TV leader or anything. They were on more than most of the Big 8, but it was not like Notre Dame. It is true that TV helps and that the more you win the better slots you get. Would be nice to have our own channel for the conference. That said, not sure any changes here somehow work against Nebraska.

reasons why nebraska will never be back??? hehe mizzou was never there lol

LOL :rollin:rollin:rollin

The most ridiculous one is "Nebraska itself". Honestly, some people must have liked it if we have been able to bring in 5 NC in the last 40 years. It's not like Nebraska suddenly became a desolate place, and it's not like Mizzou is any better. To be quite honest, most people tell me location has very little to do with anything. All that matters is that their schooling is getting paid for and they are playing at a place that they can succeed. Hell, Florida is a humid swamp where you sweat pellets every day during the fall. At least Nebraska has favorable temperatures in the fall...

That aside, who cares what this guy thinks? He obviously doesn't know what he is talking about and is just trying to spark conversation during this long off-season. Let him talk, and be satisfied with the fact that any other college football fan not tied to Mizzou thought that his was completely idiotic.

This is what happens to fans when their team gets a winning season once in a millenium....

exactly we are gunna put them back in their place and they don't like the sounds of it. and that mizzou fan is an idiot Nebraska has been to atleast 4 big XII title games and won one even!!! something fizzou can't claim.

quick fact on Mizzou the county right next to columbia has the highest number of KKK members in the entire united states. big reason why recruiting will be forever mediocre with the exception of last year over there in columbia.

we won 2, damn it! :horns2 and youre right, 4 appearances to miz 2 only showing, both losses <cough>

One thing I do question is our offensive style. I like Watson and he runs a good offense, but there isn't much unique about it. I think one of the factors that led to our dominating run in the 90s was the fact that our offense was very different than most of our competitors'. When most teams had thrown away the option-heavy concepts of the 70s and 80s, TO remolded them into something innovative and, with the right personnel in place, incredibly dangerous.

The fact that our offense was so unique helped us level the playing field with the teams who had huge recruiting advantages over us. We weren't recruiting the same type of QB or WR (and in some ways OL) that the other powerhouse programs were. Now our offense is almost indistinguishable from what most other teams in the country are running. So we are recruiting all the same players as schools like USC, Florida, LSU and Texas. And we rarely win recruiting battles with those schools.

Solich ran more option than Osborne, but 97 team ran more because lack of depth at I-back. Lack great I-backs like Green, Phillips and the others from the past.

One thing I do question is our offensive style. I like Watson and he runs a good offense, but there isn't much unique about it. I think one of the factors that led to our dominating run in the 90s was the fact that our offense was very different than most of our competitors'. When most teams had thrown away the option-heavy concepts of the 70s and 80s, TO remolded them into something innovative and, with the right personnel in place, incredibly dangerous.

The fact that our offense was so unique helped us level the playing field with the teams who had huge recruiting advantages over us. We weren't recruiting the same type of QB or WR (and in some ways OL) that the other powerhouse programs were. Now our offense is almost indistinguishable from what most other teams in the country are running. So we are recruiting all the same players as schools like USC, Florida, LSU and Texas. And we rarely win recruiting battles with those schools.

Solich ran more option than Osborne, but 97 team ran more because lack of depth at I-back. Lack great I-backs like Green, Phillips and the others from the past.

Solich also neglected to utilize key components of the option/run offense which is the combination of counters, sweeps, tosses, up the gut runs, fb traps, and play action. Osborne had play calling that was almost genius, and Solich just loved to run designed Crouch runs and option plays.

5. Nebraska itself. Has anyone been to Nebraska on this board that has no connections to Nebraska or business? Nope. Why is that? Nebraska is NOT a premier place to be. Most of the top talent in California is either staying there or going to Notre Dame. So that California pipeline is almost dried up.

That's a lot of nonsense! Callahan, despite all his shortcomings and questionable evaluation of talent, proved you can recruit high-profile players here. His problem, in addition to his terrible coaching, was a lot of these high-profile recruits were bad fits. And remember his upcoming class before the meltdown during his final season was generally considered top five. So it's not so much that "so-called boring Lincoln" would keep high profile recruits out. It's more about evaluating whether these players can play Division One football and whether they fit Pelini's system. And whether Pelini can make the sale. Callahan could make the sale, but I think he was too hung up on star ratings and not enough time spent evaluating talent.

Agree with Spartness.

And the Mizzou dude has some valid points.

The great equalizer is smart recruiting, customized for the program. The fact is, for every star recruit the glamour programs try to seduce, there are probably a half-dozen players who will go on to have better football careers. By the time some of these high school kids are five-star recruits, they already have entourages turning them into fragile head-cases.

Still, I'd like to see a program instituted where coveted recruits visiting Lincoln get sexed up by our hottest coeds. Let's make our Capitol Building stand for something.

Again I want to add that Star ratings are not what made Callahans classes high. We got a few top kids that were over rated I think, but his classes ended up high because of numbers. We take 31 others took 19, you get more points and they normally averaged out to a little over 3 stars. If you were to measure his classes today they would all have been consider lower than top 25 is my guess.

And if we have no problem recruiting top kids somebody tell Coach Pelini, as he lost out on just about everyone he went after. You can not tell me there were not Defensive kids in the top 100 of Rivals that he wanted. He took what he could get and then could not even fill the allotment.

I agree 100% Spartness.

But people saying we recruited who we wanted is bogus. We got what we could and hopefully Coach Pelini will be able to coach them up to what all are expecting.

He has a tough road to hoe to say the least. Our expectations are normally higher than other fan basses.

Hope to see you again next fall.

***SNIP***

6. TV. Why did people in the 40s and 50s go to these powers? Because they were always on TV. Now almost everyone can see any football game on a given saturday. So if you are a kid from Texas and you are down to Nebraska and Texas Tech and you will get the same amount of coverage at either school, which school would you choose? Probably the one closer to your home so your parents can watch you play.

***SNIP***

Let me see if I've got this straight - these days "almost everyone can see any football game on a given saturday (sic)" but a recruit will choose to stay close to home so that his parents can see him play...even though "almost everyone can see any football game on a given saturday (sic)"?

I assume logic is not the poster's strong suit...

There's a big difference between having your parents at the game in person and having them see it on TV.

Used to be..We were good for at least three games on TV and an annual Bowl game at a nice resort town...even a few games at Hawaii to attract kids.

One of the big roadblocks for these kids was homesickness..no matter how much they may have thought they wanted to escape Mom and/or Dad, they suddenly find they miss them...and the bratty little siblings, or to be able to see an old Girlfriend who now doesn't have a curfew.

Us being on TV meant the kid could be seen by the girl he had a crush on in third grade who's family moved to the East coast before Jr. High..and he'd lost all hope of contacting again...Or all your Cousins in Colorado and Missouri could see you and you could rub their noses in it at the next family reunion...Maybe even be noticed by some hot Playboy Playmate and sought after...But the trade-off was that quite possibly..Your immediate family might never get to come see you play a game in person unless Nebraska played the College team near your hometown.

Now..With all the extra channels/Satellite...Even East Carolina had more appearances than us last season..

More kids can be on TV AND have their parents at the game to pat them on the head after EACH game and fix them a fresh batch of home made Possum Innards..or loan them date money..or have a place to wash your clothes every other weekend...Or your Dad is near to help you work on your car or just give you advice about how to deal with a crazy teacher.

1 - Steroids - This is like an old wives tale. The NCAA banned steroids in 1984, began testing at bowl games in 1986. Year round testing began in 1990 and NU also does its own testing. With all that testing if there was a big problem you would know about it. Nebraska was light years ahead of everyone else with weight training and developing players. They did it with hard work. There was a reason why NU took their own weights to bowl games - even the pro facilities they sometimes used did not have enough equipment.

We needed every advantage we could get our hands on because of our location (Population/weather)...

We were so far ahead of almost everyone as far as weight training and supplements..(They were legal at the time, but still unknown about the long-term effects and it's probably still a race to keep ahead of the ban of any of the new derivatives....But now..almost everyone has copied our lesson plan and caught up. (Biochemists keep tweaking them to make them different enough to be legal..the laws keep changing to include the new offshoots).

The only way I see of us continuing to separate ourselves from the herd is if we can afford to keep up or maybe even expand our walk-on program...It enables more reps..more specialization...And more exposure of the 5-Star guys to several guys with great work ethic and heart.

And besides..the thing that made all of our previous successes so special...was that by and large we were made up of Mutts that flew under everyone's radar... with more heart than natural talent...Local kids and even kids from small towns across the country...where the town were small enough to have everyone pull for the kid and support him any way they could..

Oh..and a consistent Coaching staff that was going to be there all 4-5 years they were there who got them to play above their heads on a regular basis..

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

Let me see if I've got this straight - these days "almost everyone can see any football game on a given saturday (sic)" but a recruit will choose to stay close to home so that his parents can see him play...even though "almost everyone can see any football game on a given saturday (sic)"?

I assume logic is not the poster's strong suit...

There's a big difference between having your parents at the game in person and having them see it on TV.

Used to be..We were good for at least three games on TV and an annual Bowl game at a nice resort town...even a few games at Hawaii to attract kids.

One of the big roadblocks for these kids was homesickness..no matter how much they may have thought they wanted to escape Mom and/or Dad, they suddenly find they miss them...and the bratty little siblings, or to be able to see an old Girlfriend who now doesn't have a curfew.

Us being on TV meant the kid could be seen by the girl he had a crush on in third grade who's family moved to the East coast before Jr. High..and he'd lost all hope of contacting again...Or all your Cousins in Colorado and Missouri could see you and you could rub their noses in it at the next family reunion...Maybe even be noticed by some hot Playboy Playmate and sought after...But the trade-off was that quite possibly..Your immediate family might never get to come see you play a game in person unless Nebraska played the College team near your hometown.

Now..With all the extra channels/Satellite...Even East Carolina had more appearances than us last season..

More kids can be on TV AND have their parents at the game to pat them on the head after EACH game and fix them a fresh batch of home made Possum Innards..or loan them date money..or have a place to wash your clothes every other weekend...Or your Dad is near to help you work on your car or just give you advice about how to deal with a crazy teacher.

1 - Steroids - This is like an old wives tale. The NCAA banned steroids in 1984, began testing at bowl games in 1986. Year round testing began in 1990 and NU also does its own testing. With all that testing if there was a big problem you would know about it. Nebraska was light years ahead of everyone else with weight training and developing players. They did it with hard work. There was a reason why NU took their own weights to bowl games - even the pro facilities they sometimes used did not have enough equipment.

We needed every advantage we could get our hands on because of our location (Population/weather)...

We were so far ahead of almost everyone as far as weight training and supplements..(They were legal at the time, but still unknown about the long-term effects and it's probably still a race to keep ahead of the ban of any of the new derivatives....But now..almost everyone has copied our lesson plan and caught up. (Biochemists keep tweaking them to make them different enough to be legal..the laws keep changing to include the new offshoots).

The only way I see of us continuing to separate ourselves from the herd is if we can afford to keep up or maybe even expand our walk-on program...It enables more reps..more specialization...And more exposure of the 5-Star guys to several guys with great work ethic and heart.

And besides..the thing that made all of our previous successes so special...was that by and large we were made up of Mutts that flew under everyone's radar... with more heart than natural talent...Local kids and even kids from small towns across the country...where the town were small enough to have everyone pull for the kid and support him any way they could..

Oh..and a consistent Coaching staff that was going to be there all 4-5 years they were there who got them to play above their heads on a regular basis..

:yeah