Mendoza

How do you think we will use this guy next year?

Will he be in the running back rotation, will we use him in the slot? As a return man?

He looked pretty impressive in limited action last year, so i am really hopin to see him with the ball in his hands next year. Anyone have any thoughts?

I doubt we will see him as return man. He will most likely be a slot guy/used sparingly in running formations. I can see him playing a small role in zone-read plays because of his quickness. After all, the lone touchdown he scored last year came off of a zone-read and Mendoza bolted like a bullet for the end zone. The guy has speed but limited size, so because we have Helu and Castille in there we probably won't see Mendoza much unless one of those guys goes down.

I say just bring back the Oz-bone, but instead of having a full back in there just keep Helu, Castille, and Mendoza in the backfield and wait to see which one gets it :clap

I think we'll see him in the rotation some, but it'll be on a limited basis. The problem is he has Q and Helu in front of him and they have the size you want and Helu has the quickness. Q will just rip your soul out of your body while he's running over the top of you. Mendoza will be used, but again probably on a limited basis. He's fast as hell though..............

I think we'll see him in the rotation some, but it'll be on a limited basis. The problem is he has Q and Helu in front of him and they have the size you want and Helu has the quickness. Q will just rip your soul out of your body while he's running over the top of you. Mendoza will be used, but again probably on a limited basis. He's fast as hell though..............

I like the sound of that.

I hope he sees significant time next year. We had a rotation of 3 last year and it worked pretty well. Just milk the man who's hot. I would also like to see him in the slot.

We need to find a way to get the ball in his hands. It doesn't matter to me how or where, but he has a much quicker burst than our two front-runners at the RB position, and last time I checked the speed of the Florida's often negates the size of teams like Oklahoma. I'm not saying anything against Q or Helu becuase I am a fan of them both, but super-speedy players like Mendoza can negate their size disadvantage by breaking the defenses angles (and ankles).

Also, I am not saying start him over Q or Helu, but he appears to have game changing speed, and that sort of speed should be on the field. He would be an awesome situational back in the second half after we (hopefully) wear down the opponents defense with our physical O-Line that began to show up the second half of last season.

In summary....get him the ball somehow, and more frequently then last year. :rant

We need to find a way to get the ball in his hands. It doesn't matter to me how or where, but he has a much quicker burst than our two front-runners at the RB position, and last time I checked the speed of the Florida's often negates the size of teams like Oklahoma. I'm not saying anything against Q or Helu becuase I am a fan of them both, but super-speedy players like Mendoza can negate their size disadvantage by breaking the defenses angles (and ankles).

Also, I am not saying start him over Q or Helu, but he appears to have game changing speed, and that sort of speed should be on the field. He would be an awesome situational back in the second half after we (hopefully) wear down the opponents defense with our physical O-Line that began to show up the second half of last season.

In summary....get him the ball somehow, and more frequently then last year. :rant

:yeah

A lot of people keep saying that he won't play a lot due to his limited size. I agree with whoever said get him on the field. Mendoza is probably about 190 lbs which is not all that small. How big was Griffen the RB from OU? Rainey from Florida, Sproles, there are plenty of players that are smaller but get the ball around 10 times per game. I say give him a shot to get about 10 carries and attempt to get him the ball about 5 when hes in the slot. He's one of the few players we have right now who can take it the distance without perfect blocking.

Mendoza is blazing fast and quick.. I like the idea of getting him 5-10 touches a game. Get him involved.

Sorry, Q had a few good runs, a good game here and there, but I still think he's a short yardage back and is limited to what he can do. A few carries too often and a fumble is inevitable. I'm not a fan of seeing him as the clear-cut #2 back that splits carries. I think the #2 back is completely open for competition.

I hope Mendoza gets to show what he can do with a lot more playing time. Forget the size issue. Sproles has done just fine at r/b, and Mendoza is bigger and looks to be even quicker and faster. This kid is the take it to the house player, that all teams want to have, but few do. I hope that talent isn't wasted on 5 to 6 touches a game. I was amazed seeing some of his high school games on tape. A lot of his runs showed him down field some 7 or 8 yards before anyone was even starting to get a hand on him. I hope I don't have to wait till his senior year, before he gets the playing time he needs to show what he can do, and everyone thinking, "we should have been giving this kid the ball 2 years ago". I hope that's not the way it happens, but a lot of people think you need to run through people to be a good back. That's true for some players, but not all.

All that said, it is a good problem to have. :)

GBR!!!

I hope Mendoza gets to show what he can do with a lot more playing time. Forget the size issue. Sproles has done just fine at r/b, and Mendoza is bigger and looks to be even quicker and faster. This kid is the take it to the house player, that all teams want to have, but few do. I hope that talent isn't wasted on 5 to 6 touches a game. I was amazed seeing some of his high school games on tape. A lot of his runs showed him down field some 7 or 8 yards before anyone was even starting to get a hand on him. I hope I don't have to wait till his senior year, before he gets the playing time he needs to show what he can do, and everyone thinking, "we should have been giving this kid the ball 2 years ago". I hope that's not the way it happens, but a lot of people think you need to run through people to be a good back. That's true for some players, but not all.

All that said, it is a good problem to have. :)

GBR!!!

Get him on the field. Nebraska will be a far more explosive football team with Zac Lee, Roy Helu, Marcus Mendoza, and Curenski Gilleyen on the field.

Mendoza has shown he can play. Lee needs to perform and Gilleyen needs to figure out how to catch the football.