Much youth on this board!

That only know of UT and OU winning. They fail to realize that Osborne's teams were not winners because of top 10 recruiting classes like the teams are built today. His teams beat many recruiting gurus like CU, UF and Tennessee. The old NU ran a SYSTEM and recruited to fit that system. They didn't just recruit folks because others recruited them.

So first off I am one of those "youth" by age at least.

Second off I am pretty sure NU had some top recuirts in the 90's, I know both Peters and Winstrom were. I am not arguing they all were stars, but there were quite a few.

And a major thing is that the world has changed, not only is recruiting more mainstream (let alone the internet is used by almost everyone, not just a few "nerds" as before). So no one really knows how kids would have been ranked with these raters/rating systems today.

I am not completely disagreeing and accept recuirting rankings dont = wins, but they are not totally meaningless

That only know of UT and OU winning. They fail to realize that Osborne's teams were not winners because of top 10 recruiting classes like the teams are built today. His teams beat many recruiting gurus like CU, UF and Tennessee. The old NU ran a SYSTEM and recruited to fit that system. They didn't just recruit folks because others recruited them.

Like I said in the other thread, the class that started it all in the 90's was ranked in the 20's, but Osborne had some very highly ranked classes. The 1995 and 1996 classes were ranked as high as #2 and #3 in the country. We recruited alot more than just system players, we went after the best talent in the country. The same players all the other big boys at the time went after.

You really need to do some research on Husker recruiting. You don't think Tommie Frasier was recruited by the big boys?

I'm pretty sure most people here realize this, In fact i saw Tom in Topeka a few weeks ago and this was one of the things he talked about.

HuskerNation - I didn't realize anyone else on the board was in attendance. Jump in with anything you want to add to my notes in another thread that I started.

I hope to meet you at Sean Callahan's recruiting/spring game breakdown.

The old NU ran a SYSTEM and recruited to fit that system. They didn't just recruit folks because others recruited them.

You are speaking only of offense right? On defense the best Osborne teams always had a lots of talent. Talent that would have succeeded in any scheme.

Like I said in the other thread, the class that started it all in the 90's was ranked in the 20's, but Osborne had some very highly ranked classes. The 1995 and 1996 classes were ranked as high as #2 and #3 in the country. We recruited alot more than just system players, we went after the best talent in the country. The same players all the other big boys at the time went after.

You really need to do some research on Husker recruiting. You don't think Tommie Frasier was recruited by the big boys?

:hellloooo .... It's Tommie Frazier...not Frasier. :hellloooo

And Tommie was recruited by Florida State, Miami and other schools...as a DB.

I'm pretty sure most people here realize this, In fact i saw Tom in Topeka a few weeks ago and this was one of the things he talked about.

HuskerNation - I didn't realize anyone else on the board was in attendance. Jump in with anything you want to add to my notes in another thread that I started.

I hope to meet you at Sean Callahan's recruiting/spring game breakdown.

I doubt he will attend, recuirting doesn't matter ;)

Ok, I'll bite. I don't necessarily consider myself old or young, I am 29. However, those that look back in awe of the glory years only like to thing that the Huskers built up the empire with a roster that consisted solely of walk-on beefeaters from Smalltown, Nebraska. Osborne had some of the best recruiting classes in the country. Between 93 and 98, I think all classes were rated no lower than 12th. The 1985 class with Steve Taylor and Sandman was a consensus #1 class. What about the class with Turner Gill? It's this head in the clouds infatuation with the 80s and 90s that is annoying.

What was the recruiting class of Chase daniel and Maclin rated with missouri

According to Rivals (other selectors will have different results) here are the rankings for the last 6 years for NU and Mizzu

Starting with the most recent class (2009) and going back to 2004's class)

MU - 40.30,33,47,39,29

NU - 28-25-13-20- 5-27

Chase Daniel was in the 05 class which was ranked # 39, compared to NU's 5. Callahan got Harrison Beck.

Maclin was in the 06 class ranked 47 to NU's 20 He was recruited by Cosgrove for NU, don't know if he ever had any real interest in Nebraska, doesn't look like OU even offered him.

Rivals

Years ago, there were no rankings. You would probably hear who the recruits were on signing day. You can't even find lists for most years prior to 1972.

Going just by memory (which might be wrong at my age) one of Osborne's highest ranked classes was the one with Steve Taylor and Broderick Thomas. Think they were one of the top 2-3 in the country. But 10 of the 25 recruits never even lettered at NU. T.O. had some top 10 classes, most were probably in the top 25. I think 1992 with Frazier was ranked fairly decent.

post-4426-1237221298.jpg

Damn, I can't even spell my favorite Huskers name correctly. His top 3 were Nebraska, Notre Dame and Clemson, and I still remember it was big news when he commited to NU. I wish I would have saved the Journal Star article on it.

Damn, I can't even spell my favorite Huskers name correctly. His top 3 were Nebraska, Notre Dame and Clemson, and I still remember it was big news when he commited to NU. I wish I would have saved the Journal Star article on it.

It was big news no doubt.

The only reason Nebraska was able to lure Frazier away from Miami, Florida State, Notre Lame, Clemson, etc was because Nebraska wanted him as a QB. All the other schools were projecting him as a defensive back, specifically a safety. (Although my memory fails as to whether it was as a FS or SS.)

And the rest is, as they say, history...:woo