Ranking the Big 12 Quarterbacks

CU will be fine with Hawkins. I think almost everyone has forgotten about the mass exodus of anyone with a pulse from CU when the "scandle" was coming down. The 2 recruiting classes prior to Hawkins arrival were pretty poor after the goods left. What Hawkins has had to rebuild can almost be compared to a team that had been on probation.

I made a typo when I was referring to being able to run the ball, I meant to say that I believe it is still a viable option.

With respect to Coach Hawkins, CU started last season 3-0 before the inury PLAGUE(not bug...lol) bit the team in the butt. The school loves his attitude and his committment to rebuilding the program as well as student body into a more positive image. Remember two years ago in Boulder against you guys, the week before the game he threatened to pull the team off the field if the students got unruly. Sure it is embarrassing to have your head coach make that kind of statement but what does it say about the man if he is willing to forfeit to his rival over the students bahvior? I believe it speaks volumes of his character and the kind of character he is trying to build within the program. I do not value winning above all else, I can leave that to all my Alabama friends down here...lol So I think it is very safe to say that Hawk is relatively safe for his record and everyone behind the Buffs are very optimistic about this coming season.

I agree to an extent. I never meant for it to sound like I was questioning Hawkins' character. In fact, I think he is probably exactly what the CU program needed after the previous coach. However...if he doesn't start to pile up some W's soon I think the Buff faithful might get restless. As in...if he doesn't have a winning season this year he might want to do a little house shopping.

But then again, I'm sure you have a closer and better view of the situation than I do.

I will be absolutely stunned if we do not have a winning record this year. We should have the talent, the gameplan, and the schedule to pull of a winning season, for me personally, anything less then 8 wins this season will be a dissapointment. Not the kool-aid talking but I believe we are the better team in 8 of those games.

By the way, I knew you weren't questioning his character, I was just pointing out that sometimes a man's postives can buy some time over his won/loss record.

Tom Osborne knows a lot about that. Despite how well he was doing throughout his coaching career, he was almost fired in the early 80's. If he hadn't made it to the NC game, he may have lost his job. I don't have the exact link to this but I remember reading about it in a Husker book I was given for Christmas one year.

Just as a side note, I think a lot of people are considering this year the make or break year for Hawkins. If he doesn't produce something positive, I think he may be in trouble.

That was after the Astro Blue Bonnet Bowl in 1976. A booster told Osborne " It's a good thing you won"

I made a typo when I was referring to being able to run the ball, I meant to say that I believe it is still a viable option.

With respect to Coach Hawkins, CU started last season 3-0 before the inury PLAGUE(not bug...lol) bit the team in the butt. The school loves his attitude and his committment to rebuilding the program as well as student body into a more positive image. Remember two years ago in Boulder against you guys, the week before the game he threatened to pull the team off the field if the students got unruly. Sure it is embarrassing to have your head coach make that kind of statement but what does it say about the man if he is willing to forfeit to his rival over the students bahvior? I believe it speaks volumes of his character and the kind of character he is trying to build within the program. I do not value winning above all else, I can leave that to all my Alabama friends down here...lol So I think it is very safe to say that Hawk is relatively safe for his record and everyone behind the Buffs are very optimistic about this coming season.

I agree to an extent. I never meant for it to sound like I was questioning Hawkins' character. In fact, I think he is probably exactly what the CU program needed after the previous coach. However...if he doesn't start to pile up some W's soon I think the Buff faithful might get restless. As in...if he doesn't have a winning season this year he might want to do a little house shopping.

But then again, I'm sure you have a closer and better view of the situation than I do.

I will be absolutely stunned if we do not have a winning record this year. We should have the talent, the gameplan, and the schedule to pull of a winning season, for me personally, anything less then 8 wins this season will be a dissapointment. Not the kool-aid talking but I believe we are the better team in 8 of those games.

By the way, I knew you weren't questioning his character, I was just pointing out that sometimes a man's postives can buy some time over his won/loss record.

Tom Osborne knows a lot about that. Despite how well he was doing throughout his coaching career, he was almost fired in the early 80's. If he hadn't made it to the NC game, he may have lost his job. I don't have the exact link to this but I remember reading about it in a Husker book I was given for Christmas one year.

Just as a side note, I think a lot of people are considering this year the make or break year for Hawkins. If he doesn't produce something positive, I think he may be in trouble.

That was after the Astro Blue Bonnet Bowl in 1976. A booster told Osborne " It's a good thing you won"

That must have been it, then. Thanks for a clarification. :thumbs