Ranking of 100 NCAA coaches. Bo at #23

I am well aware of what Snyder did folks. I probably know more about it than the people who just ripped me for saying it. I said Snyder hadn't done "sh*t" yet as in he has done nothing since he just got rehired and hasn't coached a single game again, yet.

I was judging that list off of what they have done since they have been hired as a coach in the Big 12 and not by all their coaching experience, ergo I said Snyder should be dropped since he just got rehired.

Hope that makes sense. Obviously Snyder was a great coach but he just got rehired and hasn't coached a game since what..2004-2005? He wasn't doing so hot as a coach near the end of his tenure regardless. Lets find out what a poster on this board means before we go ape sh*t and start bouncin off the walls.

Interesting argument. I don't agree with your take however.

Equivalently, when Bill Cowher returns to coaching, would he be considered someone who "hasn't done sh#t?" If Urban Meyer changes jobs to coach somewhere else, would he be considered someone who "hasn't done sh#t?" From a certain standpoint perhaps, but does that justify ranking them lower than mediocre coaches who have accomplished little in several years of effort? If Peyton Manning were to be traded to the Texans tomorrow, does he suddenly no longer rank as one of the best QBs in the league?

If you really want to get down to it, no coach has done a lot since say, last December.

I would say he is speaking more to the fact that Snyder was pretty much washed up when he left before so he hasn't proven to be as good as he was in his heyday in the 90s.

Stop thinking this is Snyder from 98-03, if Michael Jordan came back right now to the NBA would he automatically be the best player? No, because the game had passed him by when he retired the last time and he would have to prove his status as the best, and I don't think he would be that (even though I love the guy).

That is what he is saying, and he is right.

I am well aware of what Snyder did folks. I probably know more about it than the people who just ripped me for saying it. I said Snyder hadn't done "sh*t" yet as in he has done nothing since he just got rehired and hasn't coached a single game again, yet.

I was judging that list off of what they have done since they have been hired as a coach in the Big 12 and not by all their coaching experience, ergo I said Snyder should be dropped since he just got rehired.

Hope that makes sense. Obviously Snyder was a great coach but he just got rehired and hasn't coached a game since what..2004-2005? He wasn't doing so hot as a coach near the end of his tenure regardless. Lets find out what a poster on this board means before we go ape sh*t and start bouncin off the walls.

Equivalently, when Bill Cowher returns to coaching, would he be considered someone who "hasn't done sh#t?" If Urban Meyer changes jobs to coach somewhere else, would he be considered someone who "hasn't done sh#t?" From a certain standpoint perhaps, but does that justify ranking them lower than mediocre coaches who have accomplished little in several years of effort? If Peyton Manning were to be traded to the Texans tomorrow, does he suddenly no longer rank as one of the best QBs in the league?

If you really want to get down to it, no coach has done a lot since say, last December.

I would say he is speaking more to the fact that Snyder was pretty much washed up when he left before so he hasn't proven to be as good as he was in his heyday in the 90s.

Stop thinking this is Snyder from 98-03, if Michael Jordan came back right now to the NBA would he automatically be the best player? No, because the game had passed him by when he retired the last time and he would have to prove his status as the best, and I don't think he would be that (even though I love the guy).

Could be... I think he has a tougher go of it this time around. When he came in the first time he had zero expectations...now the KSU faithful might be expecting Miracle in Manhattan v.2

That's exactly what I was getting at, In the Deed the Glory. I guess maybe I just didn't word it correctly or explain it well enough. :dunno Hopefully the way you said said is easier for others to understand. :thumbs

Easy pal. Grammatical errors and cursing aside, you said that a coach who masterminded one of the all time greatest program turnarounds in college football history "had not done sh*t yet." You did not qualify it as "had not done sh*t yet this year," and it should be noted that the author of this list did not limit it to this year either. The way the list is phrased "Ranking of the Big XII coaches" gives no indication that the list was intended to be limited to this year.

In fact, if anything the list seems to be ranking coaches based on their past success either in on the field wins or in overall improvement of programs. If there is another way to rank coaches (that is not entirely arbitrary) I'd love to hear of it.

Easy pal. Grammatical errors and cursing aside, you said that a coach who masterminded one of the all time greatest program turnarounds in college football history "had not done sh*t yet." You did not qualify it as "had not done sh*t yet this year," and it should be noted that the author of this list did not limit it to this year either. The way the list is phrased "Ranking of the Big XII coaches" gives no indication that the list was intended to be limited to this year.

In fact, if anything the list seems to be ranking coaches based on their past success either in on the field wins or in overall improvement of programs. If there is another way to rank coaches (that is not entirely arbitrary) I'd love to hear of it.

Sorry carl. I didn't mean to come off as brash or anything. :hmmph

From reading the first couple of posts and the way people were reacting to the thread, I assumed that people were talking about them as current coaches and not based on past performances. In the Deed the Glory brought up a great point. If Michael Jordan came back to the NBA, you could not list him automatically as one of the top 10 best players in the game. He is one of the greatest players off all time, but his past experiences doesn't mean he will be a great player again.

From reading the first couple of posts and the way people were reacting to the thread, I assumed that people were talking about them as current coaches and not based on past performances. In the Deed the Glory brought up a great point. If Michael Jordan came back to the NBA, you could not list him automatically as one of the top 10 best players in the game. He is one of the greatest players off all time, but his past experiences doesn't mean he will be a great player again.

Agreed. And for the record I don't think that Snyder will have much success this time around. I guess time will tell.

Agreed. And for the record I don't think that Snyder will have much success this time around. I guess time will tell.

Agreed as well. That's the stupid thing about pre-season rankings. Half of the time they are wrong and they are just speculation anyways lol.

schnellenberger that high? really?

I was surprised myself, but with his past accomplishments and what hes done at FAU he is almost a miracle worker.

Remember that before 2001, there was NO orgnized football of any kind at FAU. So in 4 of years FBS hes got us 2 bowl wins, 1 confrence championships.

One thing I seriously must disagree with:

38. Rick Neuheisel

48. Turner Gill

All I know is that if I was an athletic director, a slightly less experienced Turner Gill gets the nod over Rick Neuheisel if I had to select between the two. Neuheisel has taken two programs with good football tradition and had done an average job with both. I don't know what the author of this text was talking about when he says "things look nice for the future of UCLA football". Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see UCLA becoming anywhere near a top 25 program in the next few years.

23. Bo Pelini(10-4 at Nebraska and overall)- In 2019 when we make this list Pelini might be in the top 5. There are few defensive minds better than Pelini and soon it will start to show in Lincoln. The Blackshirts will be back and Pelini will have Nebraska in a BCS bowl very soon. Pelini has led top defenses at Nebraska, Oklahoma, and LSU as a DC. Toughness is back in Lincoln and will stay there for a long time.

http://www.dixiefriedsports.com/Top_100_Coaches_in_NCAA.html

I'm just happy to finally see the Huskers and our coach get some respect in the college football world. This 2008 team was night and day compared to how the teams from 04 to 07 handled themselves. I agree with this writer that come 2019, Bo probably will be one of the best coaches in Division 1 football.

So if Dr Tom was rehired tomorrow as coach, he'd start over (in your eyes) as Snyder has in your opinion?

Dr Tom hasn't coached a game since you were a boy. ;)

funny stuff!!

Another take, from our Friends at Rivals.com.

Link

They do not even have Bo in the top half of the Big 12, so guessing they don't agree....

If you cannot read it, they have...

1. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma

2. Mack Brown, Texas

3. Mark Mangino, Kansas

4. Mike Leach, Texas Tech

5. Gary Pinkel, Missouri

6. Art Briles, Baylor

7. Bo Pelini, Nebraska

8. Bill Snyder, Kansas State

9. Mike Sherman, Texas A&M

10. Dan Hawkins, Colorado

11. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State

12. Paul Rhoads, Iowa State

This list is amazing. Without #8, there might never have been #1, #3, and #4. How in the heck can you have Sherman ahead of Hawkins? If you're using their previous gig, it's Hawkins hands down. If you're using their current gig, it's still Hawkins hands down. Mike Sherman is nothing more, nothing less than another Bill Callahan experiment. Mike Gundy has built OSU. It would appear to me that he's just a wee bit underranked there at 11. I think they have Mack Brown overranked as well as Pickle. Annointing Briles at #6 is a bit premature for me.

So if Dr Tom was rehired tomorrow as coach, he'd start over (in your eyes) as Snyder has in your opinion?

funny stuff!!

If Dr. Tom was rehired as a coach tomorrow, I would not rank him highly. I don't think it's fair because even though he was a fantastic coach for 3 decades, it's been over a full decade since he coached. Going off of what he did in the past, you'd have to put him as the best coach in the Big 12, but how could you justify it with him being gone for so long?

I feel that this list was mostly generated based off of how they are doing currently and not their entire coaching career. If you based it off of coaching career, then you would have to put Snyder above of Mangino and Briles because of what he did in the 90's and early 2000's. Doesn't seem right, because as of right now we don't know how well KSU will do. IMHO any new coach to a conference should automatically be at the bottom of the list until at least a season of coaching is under the belt, especially if they haven't coached in awhile.

funny stuff!!

IMHO any new coach to a conference should automatically be at the bottom of the list until at least a season of coaching is under the belt, especially if they haven't coached in awhile.

opinions vary...

wildly in this case.

Dr Tom:

at the bottom of the list until at least a season of coaching is under the belt, especially if they haven't coached in awhile

not on my list!! :woo

I agree with the point about Snyder not doing anything yet. This is a list of where coaches rank in this league right now. This is not some historical or all-time list of Big XII coaches, neither is it a list that ranks expected coaching performance in the next 5 years.

Snyder has a lot going against him. Regardless of what he did before, Kansas State is once again Kansas State. Snyder has been on a multi-year hiatus from coaching and is probably going to take a while to build a solid staff and good chemistry. Beyond that, he's taking over a mediocre team, a bare cupboard (for his system anyway) and with Missouri and Kansas' recent success, recruiting is going to be even harder this time around.

I realize he's turned things around at KSU in the past, but he couldn't sustain it for the long haul. With all the odds against him, he's one of the most unproven current coaches in the league with one of the toughest climbs ahead.

Except for the fact that he turned around the program around over a decade ago, what makes anybody think that Snyder isn't starting at the bottom in Manhattan this year? Coaching performance is measured by present results, not ideals or the last decade's successes.

2 cents :rant