Spano Injury

not to get off on some tangent but....

this is why there is NEVER enough talent, depth, logjams, competition, recruits, tinkering, et al. at ANY position on the field. Especially RB, QB, WR.

Last year before Glenn moved to LB everyone was talking about a logjam at RB--but without Helu turning in an unpredicted second half of the season, we could have used any warm body at RB; what w/ Q's fumblitis and Lucky's, uh, performance.

Now, we have a transferring QB in Witt and a hurt Spano...BAM...we have 1(!) guy we 'think' can play the position!!!!! I know coaches would rather have players disgruntled sitting on the bench iching to play then have depth problems!

Now, my personal opinion is that Zac Lee starts every game and blows Ganz out of the water. He's taller, faster, has a better arm, and is a professional players' son. He also can play 2 years if he performs well and be a bridge to the first big-time Pelini recruit at QB (Green). We will insert Martinez or Washington when we are winning big or...well, there is no 'or'. I see this is as a way for Lee to grow confidence, take over the team leadership position and assert himself as the cement to the offense.

Basically never, EVER talk about having too many guys who can contribute at any one position.

not to get off on some tangent but....

this is why there is NEVER enough talent, depth, logjams, competition, recruits, tinkering, et al. at ANY position on the field. Especially RB, QB, WR.

Last year before Glenn moved to LB everyone was talking about a logjam at RB--but without Helu turning in an unpredicted second half of the season, we could have used any warm body at RB; what w/ Q's fumblitis and Lucky's, uh, performance.

Now, we have a transferring QB in Witt and a hurt Spano...BAM...we have 1(!) guy we 'think' can play the position!!!!! I know coaches would rather have players disgruntled sitting on the bench iching to play then have depth problems!

Now, my personal opinion is that Zac Lee starts every game and blows Ganz out of the water. He's taller, faster, has a better arm, and is a professional players' son. He also can play 2 years if he performs well and be a bridge to the first big-time Pelini recruit at QB (Green). We will insert Martinez or Washington when we are winning big or...well, there is no 'or'. I see this is as a way for Lee to grow confidence, take over the team leadership position and assert himself as the cement to the offense.

Basically never, EVER talk about having too many guys who can contribute at any one position.

:yeah

Now, my personal opinion is that Zac Lee starts every game and blows Ganz out of the water. He's taller, faster, has a better arm, and is a professional players' son.

I will be absolutely shocked if he performs at Ganz's level, let alone "blows him out of the water." Ganz was a damn good quarterback.

Also...not sure how being a professional player's son helps Lee.

Now, my personal opinion is that Zac Lee starts every game and blows Ganz out of the water. He's taller, faster, has a better arm, and is a professional players' son.

I will be absolutely shocked if he performs at Ganz's level, let alone "blows him out of the water." Ganz was a damn good quarterback.

Hopefully he performs better then "Love Bug" did in the big games we play. We do play a lot of bad teams this year and next so he will have a chance at performing at a Ganz "level".

As far as Spano goes this sucks. He was going to allow us to redshirt two QB's this year and now there is no chance that gets done unless Lee is like Zac Taylor was and never comes out of the game.

Anyone that goes into the season wanting LTW as their number 2 is crazy..... He will be better off a RB then QB....

Sorry, but on what are you basing this assumption? Washington played QB in high school and switched to defense in college, so he is still familiar with what it takes to be a quarterback. As of right now, he's the third best guy we have on the team at the quarterback position.

Now see this is what I dont understand what some of you guys think about? Every one is on here saying that Green cant be any good at QB this year because he is a freshman coming straight from High school... But yet in the same breath you say LTW can be since he played QB in HS even though he hasnt taken a snap since HS... And he must not have been that good if they moved him to LB from QB? Ill take my chances with Green anyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's with the "Love Bug" moniker? I must have missed something.

Tag this post. Let's talk mid-season about whether you think Lee is playing at a "Ganz level." I think there might be some Ganz basher regret around that time.

“Love Bug” comes from the starry eyes and warm fuzzies that some Grown Men got for Joey Ganz. They were bit by the Love Bug. This would include Pelini, Watson, and a few of the folks on here. Granted he was a good QB but the fact is he was not a once in a lifetime talent and he can/ will be replaced and the odds are it will be by someone that puts up better numbers within the next couple years. Maybe that won’t be Zac Lee but maybe it will be. I also don’t think Lee will have the opportunities to put up the passing numbers this year because I think Wats will lean heavily on Helu (the new Love Bug) and Castille for the early part of the year. Anyway that is all I have to say about that in this topic because I don’t want it to get off track.

For the record I’m not bashing Ganz I just don’t think he belongs on the pedestal that some have him on.

Did they actually say how long Spano is going to be out? Is it set that he won’t play in the fall? If he doesn’t does that mean he can try for a Medical Redshirt and gain that year back?

Anyone that goes into the season wanting LTW as their number 2 is crazy..... He will be better off a RB then QB....

Sorry, but on what are you basing this assumption? Washington played QB in high school and switched to defense in college, so he is still familiar with what it takes to be a quarterback. As of right now, he's the third best guy we have on the team at the quarterback position.

Now see this is what I dont understand what some of you guys think about? Every one is on here saying that Green cant be any good at QB this year because he is a freshman coming straight from High school... But yet in the same breath you say LTW can be since he played QB in HS even though he hasnt taken a snap since HS... And he must not have been that good if they moved him to LB from QB? Ill take my chances with Green anyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think we're saying that Green can't be good at QB. Just looking out how the excited the fan base is can show you that. Also, I definitely did not say that LTW was the second stringer, because Cody Green is the second guy regardless of the fact that he just came out of high school. Green is a better quarterback and he has started a game at quarterback recently, unlike LTW who hasn't started one in years. LTW also got the playbook two days before spring practice start, and Green had it much earlier.

LTW is in to provide depth at the position, something we desperately need right now. The fact of the matter is that if Spano isn't better by fall, Lee goes down and goes down hard during a game, and the coaches want to spare Green's redshirt, you better be ready to see LTW in there. Martinez won't really be a viable backup considering our playbook for his first year.

I don't think we're saying that Green can't be good at QB. Just looking out how the excited the fan base is can show you that. Also, I definitely did not say that LTW was the second stringer, because Cody Green is the second guy regardless of the fact that he just came out of high school. Green is a better quarterback and he has started a game at quarterback recently, unlike LTW who hasn't started one in years. LTW also got the playbook two days before spring practice start, and Green had it much earlier.

LTW is in to provide depth at the position, something we desperately need right now. The fact of the matter is that if Spano isn't better by fall, Lee goes down and goes down hard during a game, and the coaches want to spare Green's redshirt, you better be ready to see LTW in there. Martinez won't really be a viable backup considering our playbook for his first year.

Good post. Agreed.