Grading Bo Pelini??

I like how everybody says it is way too early to grade his performance but does so anyways (with the exception of Hunter94). Either with a letter grade or a comment reflecting their opinion on his performance. Isn't that the only way to get better is to be critiqued, take the criticisms and praises into consideration and then adjust accordingly?

One season, 13 games, is plenty of time to establish habits, either good or bad. Yes, there are a million other factors to consider, if we were deciding whether to keep him or not, but since that isn't the case, I think it's never to early to evaluate progress and discuss the likes and dislikes of the situation. That's the only way to get better.

I'm sure Pelini would agree, as would anyone else who wishes to better themself, and I'm pretty sure he not only evaluates himself and each of his performances, but also those of his coaches and his players. If he didn't; he, his coaches and his players would never learn from their mistakes or sucesses, and therefore would never get better.

I didn't give a grade {per se} IMO, I said I'm pleased with what he's doing for the program and I think he'll continue to make strides to return Nebraska to national prominence. That being said I tend to agree with the few others who said wait a couple of years and then grade his performance.

my real point of not grading him, is in reference to how many folks thought Callahan was a great hire, after his first season, then watched him implode afterwords.

i am sure Pelini is grading himself, but i for one will wait for at least a couple more seasons. i am looking for trends in his coaching, recruiting and player development, along with his game strategies, which will take more than one season for me personally to evaluate. signature wins, klunker seasons, lots of injuries, etc. can distort any season, i am looking for positive trends that will only become evident over at least 3-5 seasons of head coaching.

relax, let's see what develops here...personally, i think he will be fine.

I asked how someone can get better if they aren't constantly being critiqued. Is that true or do you think differently?

It depends on who is doing the critiquing and who is being critiqued. If the person being critiqued isn't a self-motivated person with a wide range of ideas, then outside analysis could be very beneficial, as long as it's from a qualified source. While everyone has an opinion on everything, not everyone's opinion is "valid." I may have an opinion on the proper methods of childbirth, but if I'm just some layperson off the street, my opinion doesn't count for much, does it?

This is a fine thread and a worthwhile discussion topic, but no matter how profound our posts are, Bo isn't going to read this, nor is he going to put any of our suggestions into action. We're just a bunch of internet schmoes typing away. We have no influence on Bo.

So I suppose I would agree with you, but with stipulations. How's that for a ridiculous answer? :dumdum

At least it's a logical answer. But I disagee.

The fact is, that Pelini is always being graded. Sure he might not hear our bitches and praises and be influenced directly, but he sure as hell would know the fans aren't pleased with his performance if they didn't come to the games. We as fans grade him by showing up and supporting the team. This allows those, who are qualified to analyze Pelini's decisions, to make an adequate assessment on his progress. Osborne is constantly grading him, and I guarantee you, he bases his decision off what is best for the program. And what is best for the program is a direct reflection of the criticisms that come from the fans who make up the program. For if it wasn't for the fans, their wouldn't be any program.

I don't think you can grade how a fan base feels about a HC with how well attendance is doing at NU. Could be wrong but I heard a rumor that we have sold out every game since 1962.

That's just one indicator. I wasn't saying that it would be the only thing that Osborne would base his assessment on, but fan support is a fairly accurate indicator of someone's performance. Other indicators include: former players critques, the teams performance, the coaches performance, chemistry in the program, disciplinary problems and a slew of other variables. I'm sure Osborne takes all of these into consideration and then some.

Yes, the Husker's have sold out every game, but how bad could a coaches performance get before the fans stopped showing up. If fans got sick of "excellence in all areas" and nothing was done to correct it, I'm 100% positive support would dwindle somewhat. TO weighed the options and made the decision that he wouldn't let it get that bad. Therefore, he fired Callahan. Just because fans didn't stop coming to the game doesn't mean that Osborne didn't hear the complaints, it merely means he proactively fixed the problem before it got that bad. I'm sure he received letters, phone calls, emails or whatever other means fans use to show displeasure and he used those to make his decision.

The bottom line is, if support is not there for a program, either its not a program at all, or it won't be for long. Osborne took into consideration the complaints of those who support the program and decided they were legitimate and consequential to the progress of the program. That is why he fired Callahan. It is because of these critiques those like Osborne are able to analyze and make decisions, and therefore why I feel that it is important to always critique in order to keep progressing.

I like how everybody says it is way too early to grade his performance but does so anyways (with the exception of Hunter94). Either with a letter grade or a comment reflecting their opinion on his performance. Isn't that the only way to get better is to be critiqued, take the criticisms and praises into consideration and then adjust accordingly?

One season, 13 games, is plenty of time to establish habits, either good or bad. Yes, there are a million other factors to consider, if we were deciding whether to keep him or not, but since that isn't the case, I think it's never to early to evaluate progress and discuss the likes and dislikes of the situation. That's the only way to get better.

I'm sure Pelini would agree, as would anyone else who wishes to better themself, and I'm pretty sure he not only evaluates himself and each of his performances, but also those of his coaches and his players. If he didn't; he, his coaches and his players would never learn from their mistakes or sucesses, and therefore would never get better.

I didn't give a grade {per se} IMO, I said I'm pleased with what he's doing for the program and I think he'll continue to make strides to return Nebraska to national prominence. That being said I tend to agree with the few others who said wait a couple of years and then grade his performance.

See the highlighted text in my post.

Some seem to think my C+ is a negative. Not in the slightest. I am very happy with Bo and believe he is doing a great job. I have said all along it is not as easy as some think.

What would others outside the program give him for his efforts is how I looked at it. Most throughout the country were not that impressed with Nebraska last year during the season. But after the Bowl game we got a few nods saying we were headed in the right direction. The Colorado game raised a lot of eyebrows as well as Missouri and Oklahoma. You can't just sweep those games under the rug and forget them.

I guess being an old Jar Head you expect/demand more for recognition. I still am convinced he earned a C+ and is working towards the A all want, but he is not there as far as I am concerned.

1 year is enough time to make a rational look at what he has done. All of us are graded in our work with far less time. 90 days is the normal on making a keep or cut move.

I think he is a keeper and will prove to be what we needed at this time

He is doing a great job for the situation he is in. NO QUESTION!

my real point of not grading him, is in reference to how many folks thought Callahan was a great hire, after his first season, then watched him implode afterwords.

i am sure Pelini is grading himself, but i for one will wait for at least a couple more seasons. i am looking for trends in his coaching, recruiting and player development, along with his game strategies, which will take more than one season for me personally to evaluate. signature wins, klunker seasons, lots of injuries, etc. can distort any season, i am looking for positive trends that will only become evident over at least 3-5 seasons of head coaching.

relax, let's see what develops here...personally, i think he will be fine.

Which is very true. However, just because all the variables of progress are not accounted for in one season doesn't mean that a coach cannot improve or build on things that did happen during that one season.

I agree that many other variables of success are looked at when assessing a coaches total performance. But I wasn't asking whether or not we should keep or fire him, I was merely asking about his performance last season.

See the highlighted text in my post.

ok, yes, an improvement over the former coaching regime.....ahem..what else can reasonably be said?

I believe I should have been in the "except" category. I didn't say he should have an incomplete or anything like that. I was simply grading him on last year alone. Now if someone asked how would you grade Bo Pelini's career at NU obviously it'd be impossible. As I said, he did more with far less than the big boys. Clemson, Va Tech, OU and Texas Tech all had superior speed to what we had last year and aside from OU we either had a very good chance to win or did win.

I believe I should have been in the "except" category. I didn't say he should have an incomplete or anything like that. I was simply grading him on last year alone. Now if someone asked how would you grade Bo Pelini's career at NU obviously it'd be impossible. As I said, he did more with far less than the big boys. Clemson, Va Tech, OU and Texas Tech all had superior speed to what we had last year and aside from OU we either had a very good chance to win or did win.

The exceptions were those who said that it was too early to grade him and didn't. Either by assessing a grade or stating an opinion about his performance. Hunter94 was the only exception. He said he couldn't grade his performance based on one year and did not.

way too early to grade the guy. one season and some real progress and i suspect he will "morph" as time goes on into a real good head coach, but he needs at least 5 years in the league to develop and learn what head coaching is really all about...it takes time. look how long it has taken Pinkel and some other coaches to really get a handle on their programs and now they are seen as being pretty good hands afterall.

patience is something we seldom allow anymore...let's get over the "gotta have it now".

here is an outsiders take if you want it.

What he did for the confidence of the team. A

How he handled himself on the field. C- (needs to control the temper a bit)

Coaching. C (did not get any upset wins and won every game that Callahan would have won last year)

Upside. B (I think he will turn into a fine HC)

You musta missed the Clemson game. Nebraska was a dog.

way too early to grade the guy. one season and some real progress and i suspect he will "morph" as time goes on into a real good head coach, but he needs at least 5 years in the league to develop and learn what head coaching is really all about...it takes time. look how long it has taken Pinkel and some other coaches to really get a handle on their programs and now they are seen as being pretty good hands afterall.

patience is something we seldom allow anymore...let's get over the "gotta have it now".

here is an outsiders take if you want it.

What he did for the confidence of the team. A

How he handled himself on the field. C- (needs to control the temper a bit)

Coaching. C (did not get any upset wins and won every game that Callahan would have won last year)

Upside. B (I think he will turn into a fine HC)

You musta missed the Clemson game. Nebraska was a dog.

Not to mention Cally lost games he should of won. Therefore the Coaching "description" is off...