Grading Bo Pelini??

As a Husker fan, I was devastated at all that transpired under Bill Callahan's watch. Not just the wins and losses, though they did factor in the most, but also the playcalling, the style of play, the lack of intensity and enthusiasm of the staff and the players, the lack of player development, the treatment of former players, discipline problems throughout the program and the overall general misdirection of the program. I know he can't be blamed for all that occured, but a good portion of the problems Ol' Man Callahan either overlooked or flat-out mismanaged.

Since his departure, the team has seen a dramatic turnaround. After four seasons of what could be considered, at best medicore football under Bill, the Husker's played with a renewed energy and capped a 9-4 season off with a 26-21 Gator Bowl victory over Clemson. The hiring of Pelini, along with Osborne's return, brought back many of the very things, those who support Nebraska, hold dearest to their hearts. The team took on an identity that matched the intensity and desire of the coaches, former players once again strolled the side-lines looking to help, players developed and played up to their potential, and best of all the wins outweighed the losses.

After looking back at his first season, not only as a head coach, but as a head coach at the University of Nebraska; I think Bo Pelini has done a wonderful job. Sure, he makes mistakes. He lets his temper get the best of him, racks up penalty yards, and sometimes looks like he's about to choke slam a helpless db. But overall, I think he's been perfect for the program and definitely has it moving in the right direction. There were a couple of games I questioned his use of certain personnel, but when I look back I see the reasons he made those crucial decisions. If I was going to give him a grade on his first year's performance, I'd say somewhere between a B+ and an A-.

The positives that he brought to the table far outweigh any negatives in my eyes. The defense was an extreme improvement, the team was prepared and played together, and most of all the team developed and is poised to make this season a great one. What do you think of Pelini's first year and what are some things you are looking for him to improve on, both personally and for the team?

I think having a coach is a form of government. The best way to have NU achieve greatness is to abolish the coaching staff and let the free market drive the team. Oh sorry, wrong thread..........

Nice!!! :clap:clap:clap

Except that I can voluntarily cheer for the Huskers, support another team if I choose, or even better, not support a team at all. The same goes for the players, they can choose which coach they play for, what sport they wish to play or also choose not to play at all. Unfortunately, with governement it isn't quite the same!!

Just thought I'd take the time to point out the differences, HA HA!!

I think having a coach is a form of government. The best way to have NU achieve greatness is to abolish the coaching staff and let the free market drive the team. Oh sorry, wrong thread..........

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though, very pleased with the way things are going right now. And to think what could have been if Pelini was givin' the HC job the first time.

Seriously though, very pleased with the way things are going right now. And to think what could have been if Pelini was givin' the HC job the first time.

Very true!! Who really knows though, maybe he really wasn't ready then? I think he was, but maybe he wasn't.

Very true!! Who really knows though, maybe he really wasn't ready then? I think he was, but maybe he wasn't.

Well that's why I put "could" in there, still it couldn't have been as bad as the Clownahan regime.

I think that the 4 years after Solich allowed Pelini to develop for this job. X's and O's are not an issue obviously, but he got to see what it takes to make a "PROGRAM" work and how to keep it going from a couple of the best recently in Stoops and Miles. He got to see how successful programs recruit and manage boosters. I think he got a taste of it under Solich, but seeing how other programs that won titles recently do it definately helped him. He admitted last year that the 4 years helped him be a better coach. Overall I love what Bo has going. If he continues to show an ability to bring in a decent sized crop of talent like he has done so far this year, the staff seems to be improving each year in this regard, I think NU will be up with the best again soon.

Well that's why I put "could" in there, still it couldn't have been as bad as the Clownahan regime.

Very true!!

I'll say an A- or somewhere in that area. He did alot with a team that was really down on themselves and has really turned things around with the program. Hopefully he just keeps us going in the right direction, but I think the next couple of years are going to be big ones and will really help us gauge where he is as a coach.

In honesty he did a descent job. Nothing remarkable in any way, other than possibly the Clemson game. His ability to coach and prepare were evident there. We were not the best team on the field that day, but we won and it was due solely to his ability to motivate and change.

I give him a C+ at best. He did not beat a top 15 team, but came close with Texas Tech. He has to win the first top 15 game before he moves into above average for me. I have questions as to whether that will happen this year. It does not look like it, but with his drive and determination it is possible. But he is going to have to prove he can build a QB. That will be a tough task.

I am happy with his work, as I did not expect it to be as good as it turned out. I still have questions about his maturity, but it appears he is making strides. I think his only saving grace is having TO looking at everything he does. I am sure he wants to please Coach Osborne more than anything else. That will take controlling his temper. He did a better job later in the season, and I am sure that came from guidance by Coach Osborne.

This year is going to be tough with so many high expectations. Any other team facing what we are facing this year we would say they have no chance, but some on here see Conf Championships and BCS games for a team with a QB that has not started a game, has no back up. Shoot high my friends, nothing wrong with it. I think we will have a better idea of where we are with out coach after this year. I am hoping he keeps moving forward like he did this year, because he turned out way better than I expected from him. I was not in favor of him coming to Nebraska, but he has changed my opinion and I am very happy he is here.

C+ is pretty harsh for me. He did an excellent job of restoring some confidence in the players, which was probably close to none. He rallied the team and took responsibility when he probably didn't need to which made the team respect him even more. Out of the guys who played on defense last year at most 5 players (Glenn, Suh, Allen, and possibly Hagg and Amukumara) will get drafted in three years that I can think of so the talent level and speed was really below what top 25 teams have. Sure he had some games where he flew off the handle bars but if my team performed the way it did against OU or San Jose St. I would have been pissed too. He's a fiery guy and we knew we were getting that. With that said he knew he went a little far and dialed it down yet kept his fire as the season went on. I would give him an A- and I am thinking big 12 championship game this year, but we aren't on the same level as OU or UT yet.

C+ is pretty harsh for me. He did an excellent job of restoring some confidence in the players, which was probably close to none. He rallied the team and took responsibility when he probably didn't need to which made the team respect him even more. Out of the guys who played on defense last year at most 5 players (Glenn, Suh, Allen, and possibly Hagg and Amukumara) will get drafted in three years that I can think of so the talent level and speed was really below what top 25 teams have. Sure he had some games where he flew off the handle bars but if my team performed the way it did against OU or San Jose St. I would have been pissed too. He's a fiery guy and we knew we were getting that. With that said he knew he went a little far and dialed it down yet kept his fire as the season went on. I would give him an A- and I am thinking big 12 championship game this year, but we aren't on the same level as OU or UT yet.

I couldn't agree more. He was accountable for all his actions, and even took responsibility for things that were obviously beyond his control. That speaks volumes.