Wow, someone doesn't like Christian Peter

Wow, someone doesn't like Christian Peter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Peter

Was there anything in that article that was factually inaccurate? If there isn't, then I don't see how you can think that the author of the article doesn't like Christian Peter. While I'm a die-hard Husker fan, I will say that Christian Peter was accused of doing some pretty sleazy things while he played football for the Big Red. Yes, he was an incredible player, but he also gave the Huskers a black eye during our glory years.

I am glad that he appears to have turned his life around now, but he did damage his reputation and that of the Husker football program during the mid 90's.

I've often wondered how he was able to stay on the team..Especially after seeing the thing on 60 minutes about him raping or groping a former Miss Nebraska.

Laurence Phillips seemed to get more National publicity with his dragging his ex down a flight of stairs, but Christian was attacking strangers (Which in some ways is worse..the whole general public would seem to be in danger).

I could sorta understand Tom Orsborn trying to keep LP on the team as it was his only tie to the university and therefore..his ticket out of where he came from..But Peter? His parents were still a part of his life and well enough off that they could get him through school.

I was also sorta torn the way Jason Peter almost flaunted his brotherly love by assuming CP's number (55) as his own durring his last year..

I mean..I'd like to believe I'd do anything for my brother..but if I thought he was a bad seed..I wonder if I'd try more to get him help or at least beat the crap out of him...and not "enable" him.

Eight arrests and 4 convictions while at Nebraska? Yet we act like Miami and FSU were playing a bunch of thugs and we weren't. :moreinteresting

Isn't the issue that we got as much press (or more) than they did, yet they had similar issues and more of them?

Or is it the fact that it's been twelve years since LP played here and people are still bringing him up as a knock against the program?

Or is it the fact that Christian Peter hasn't played here in 13 years and people are still bringing him up?

Or is it the fact that there have been a similar number of arrests for similar kinds of upheaval amongst Urban Meyer's Florida Gators the past few seasons, yet press coverage remains little more than footnotes for those very news outlets that still splash LP and Christian Peter up on the screen, associated with Nebraska?

Or is it the fact that Penn State has had such a string of run-ins with the law over the last several years that it makes the legal trouble of Nebraska, Miami and/or Florida State of the 1990s seem like a few playground hijinks, yet again, there is next to no press about them.

Maybe people are just a little tired of hearing about how "outrageous" the Huskers were in the 1990s, when they weren't much different than many, many other teams over the years.

Eight arrests and 4 convictions while at Nebraska? Yet we act like Miami and FSU were playing a bunch of thugs and we weren't. :moreinteresting

Isn't the issue that we got as much press (or more) than they did, yet they had similar issues and more of them?

Or is it the fact that it's been twelve years since LP played here and people are still bringing him up as a knock against the program?

Or is it the fact that Christian Peter hasn't played here in 13 years and people are still bringing him up?

Or is it the fact that there have been a similar number of arrests for similar kinds of upheaval amongst Urban Meyer's Florida Gators the past few seasons, yet press coverage remains little more than footnotes for those very news outlets that still splash LP and Christian Peter up on the screen, associated with Nebraska?

Or is it the fact that Penn State has had such a string of run-ins with the law over the last several years that it makes the legal trouble of Nebraska, Miami and/or Florida State of the 1990s seem like a few playground hijinks, yet again, there is next to no press about them.

Maybe people are just a little tired of hearing about how "outrageous" the Huskers were in the 1990s, when they weren't much different than many, many other teams over the years.

I think its more along the line of when Republicans and Democrats get in "trouble". When a Democrat gets caught with a prostitute its like it is expected - not good, but no big deal. But let a Republican, especially one espousing "family values" get caught and shouts of hippocrit rise from the multitudes.

Same thing for Miami and Nebraska. Miami never claimed to be squeaky clean, but tried cultivate an image of living on the edge. Nebraska, on the other hand, espoused midwestern values - clean living, hard work - and when problems inevitably arrived during the media age, NU was held up by others as hypocrits. Yes NU always had trouble (Johnny Rodgers comes to mind) but in the 60s, 70s and early 80s these things were swept under the rug or "in house" now a days.

My point was we mocked & ridiculed the “Thug” schools when they were beating up on us in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Then turned around and stood up for our guys and TO when we were producing the same type of low character players. I could careless if the national media says ‘former Nebraska running back Larry Phillips” when talking about him. Because you know what? He is a former Nebraska running back and compared to the rest of his career that is when he had the most success.

Whether we like it or not what went down with the “thugs” during that 1993-1997 run is part of TO’s legacy and should be brought up when people talk about him. Just like the scandals that happened at FSU under Bowden should be brought up when talking about him as well. So on and so on.

As far as Florida and Penn State go, did any of their players drag a girl down 3 flights of stairs by her hair? Did any of their players rap a girl twice on back to back days, then turn around and fondle another girl at a bar? Were two of their players “involved” in a drive-by at a gas station? Was one of their starting LB’s arrested twice in a year span for driving while intoxicated and fleeing from the police? I’m asking because I don’t know, :dunno but I do know that the four I listed (amongst countless others) all went down between 1993 & 1997 at NU.

I think its more along the line of when Republicans and Democrats get in "trouble". When a Democrat gets caught with a prostitute its like it is expected - not good, but no big deal. But let a Republican, especially one espousing "family values" get caught and shouts of hippocrit rise from the multitudes.

Same thing for Miami and Nebraska. Miami never claimed to be squeaky clean, but tried cultivate an image of living on the edge. Nebraska, on the other hand, espoused midwestern values - clean living, hard work - and when problems inevitably arrived during the media age, NU was held up by others as hypocrits. Yes NU always had trouble (Johnny Rodgers comes to mind) but in the 60s, 70s and early 80s these things were swept under the rug or "in house" now a days.

:yeah I agree 100% :thumbs

My point was we mocked & ridiculed the “Thug” schools when they were beating up on us in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Then turned around and stood up for our guys and TO when we were producing the same type of low character players. I could careless if the national media says ‘former Nebraska running back Larry Phillips” when talking about him. Because you know what? He is a former Nebraska running back and compared to the rest of his career that is when he had the most success.

Whether we like it or not what went down with the “thugs” during that 1993-1997 run is part of TO’s legacy and should be brought up when people talk about him. Just like the scandals that happened at FSU under Bowden should be brought up when talking about him as well. So on and so on.

As far as Florida and Penn State go, did any of their players drag a girl down 3 flights of stairs by her hair? Did any of their players rap a girl twice on back to back days, then turn around and fondle another girl at a bar? Were two of their players “involved” in a drive-by at a gas station? Was one of their starting LB’s arrested twice in a year span for driving while intoxicated and fleeing from the police? I’m asking because I don’t know, :dunno but I do know that the four I listed (amongst countless others) all went down between 1993 & 1997 at NU.

The national media calls him Larry Phillips?

So how long, exactly, do you plan on wallowing in the mire of those issues? And why do you focus on Peter and Phillips, when we were producing some really fine guys at the same time, both personally and academically?

You can harp all you want about "hypocrisy" amongst Husker fans, but the bottom line is, the VAST majority of kids who came out of our program in the 1990s were the kind of guys I'd let my daughter date. You're welcome to focus on the negatives of Phillips and Peter and ignore the good kids. That's your choice. Me - I'll look at the program as a whole, and the entirety of Osborne's career both on and off the field, and realize that while there were some pretty heinous things done by kids wearing our jerseys, BY FAR the guys who went through our program were solid, upstanding citizens worthy of admiration.

It's all about what you want to focus on. You, apparently, feel the need to rub everyone's nose in rapes and DWIs and the like. Good for you.

So how long, exactly, do you plan on wallowing in the mire of those issues? And why do you focus on Peter and Phillips, when we were producing some really fine guys at the same time, both personally and academically?

You can harp all you want about "hypocrisy" amongst Husker fans, but the bottom line is, the VAST majority of kids who came out of our program in the 1990s were the kind of guys I'd let my daughter date. You're welcome to focus on the negatives of Phillips and Peter and ignore the good kids. That's your choice. Me - I'll look at the program as a whole, and the entirety of Osborne's career both on and off the field, and realize that while there were some pretty heinous things done by kids wearing our jerseys, BY FAR the guys who went through our program were solid, upstanding citizens worthy of admiration.

It's all about what you want to focus on. You, apparently, feel the need to rub everyone's nose in rapes and DWIs and the like. Good for you.

but you have to remember the old saying

"one bad apple spoils the bunch"

or

"a hundred good deeds are erased by 1 bad deed"

every school has its problems. those problems hit the national media when the team goes 60-3 over a five year span.

especially a team from the mid-west.

I focused on Peter because this was a thread about a Wikipdeia page for Christian Peter not the choir boys that played for TO. I didn’t bring up Larry Phillips I think you did. Also how is bringing up their wrong doings wallowing in the mire?

There are plenty of hypocrisies when it comes to Husker “fans” and I will point them out every time I see one. Some of the worst people to watch Husker games with are Husker “fans”. Once again this thread wasn’t about the good kids, it was about Christian Peter. If you ask me Larry Phillips, Terrell Farley, Shevin Wiggins etc. have more in common with Peter then the good kids so that is why I was focusing on the negatives (once again thread about Christian Peter not the good kids)

How was I rubbing it in everyone’s noses? By saying it is funny how people chastised Miami and FSU for fielding “thugs” yet celebrated every Larry Phillips TD against Florida or jumped for joy and High Fived every time Christian Peter made a play?

So this year when we lose a game are you only going to come on here and talk about all the good plays that were made instead of the bad ones? When talking about Billy C we should only talk about the good things he did and not the bad things? When discussing Larry Phillips we should talk about the Michigan State game and not what happened when he got back into town? I’m just checking so I know next time these things come up.

Like I said whether you want to admit it or not there were questionable/shady things that went down while TO was coach and when discussing TO’s legacy those things will and should be brought up. As should all the good things he did.

And once again this was a thread about Christian Peter who unlike most of his teammates was far from a model player and probably shouldn’t have been allowed to complete 5 years of college for free.

Also instead of trying to justify what happened with the bad apples here by bringing up Penn State the last couple years shouldn’t you focus on bringing up the countless solid kids that Joe Pa has coached through out the years? :dunno

Rob, duly noted, but what concerns me is when self-professed fans are the ones wielding those problems like a club, bashing other fans over the head with them.

No one advocates sweeping these very real issues from our past under the rug. They happened, and it is to be hoped that the school and we as fans learned something from them. But it's been over a decade. And here we are, hashing over the same crap yet again.

Enough already. I'm not interested in talking about this when I'm 40. Or 50. Or 60. Enough.