Wow, someone doesn't like Christian Peter

I was attending the University during all of this. The players back then got away with A LOT! It made ya wonder who actually was running the University. The staff or the players.

:yeah

I was at UNL during those same years as well...

While I don't want to say what they did or did not get away with comparative to other times, I will concur that football players, and athletes in general, were pretty much given a free pass. Case in point, my friends and I had a party one night and some football players showed up and stole a frozen pizza, a bottle of vodka and a couple of shot glasses. We confronted them they said that stuff was theirs, we and they knew they were lying. And so, because none of us wanted the cops there we just let it slide. The rest of my time at UNL we had a "No Football Players" policy in effect. We wouldn't even let them into our house.

I was attending the University during all of this. The players back then got away with A LOT! It made ya wonder who actually was running the University. The staff or the players.

While I don't want to say what they did or did not get away with comparative to other times, I will concur that football players, and athletes in general, were pretty much given a free pass. Case in point, my friends and I had a party one night and some football players showed up and stole a frozen pizza, a bottle of vodka and a couple of shot glasses. We confronted them they said that stuff was theirs, we and they knew they were lying. And so, because none of us wanted the cops there we just let it slide. The rest of my time at UNL we had a "No Football Players" policy in effect. We wouldn't even let them into our house.

So with one firm stroke, you painted every football player as bad. Makes sense.

Everyone take a long deep breath. Let's calm down, we are all husker fans here.

Group hug?

As long as you're not planning on groping me.. <_<

Sorry if my bringing up LP caused this to escalate into a "program bashing"..I was just using him as a reference or a contrast in the difference in the national media attention given to each individual after their respective wrongdoings..

Er..something like that.

I wasn't around Nebraska durring that time..but I do remember fearing for my family and friends still in Lincoln..Moreso over Christian because his "aleged victims" were presented to be unknown to him which to me meant..My Sister or Niece (who was attending UNL at the time) were possibly potential victims.

I also assumed his problems were probably due to Roid Rage, but just because I had something arbitrary to blame it on didn't make me worry any less.

I don't want to be the guy who won't let things like this fade away to vague memory..but I also recognize the importance in trying to learn from things that happened in the past..to make sure in this case..History doesn't repeat.

So you condone stealing? Makes sense.

There were other previous incidents the one I recounted above was just the one that broke the camels back as it were.

We Husker Fans are nothing if not determined.

I think everyone would be happier if we all just agreed that I am right, my view of the team both then and now is the correct one, and everyone toed the line on that view from now on. I don't think that's too much to ask, now.

Ready.... BREAK!

=)

I actually was good friends with some players. I still speak to a few now that I grew up with. Not all the players were bad, but the one's that were...got away with more than your average everyday college football player did.

Look you guys, your discussing this issue way more than what the thread topic is. It started out as the fact Christian Peter had alot of negative things on his wiki page, and very little about his sports career, now you visit Jason Peter's wiki page and its a bit more credible to his career both collegiate and professional.

Bickering about it now, wont change the past nor the opinions of others in the past. So why get into a heated debate about it. The troublemakers know who they are, and know what they did, and someday it will come back to them, and for those who kept their nose clean, then good on them, they set the example and are the true professionals.

As for the "No Football Players" rule, you know if thats what other students did in order to keep THEIR experience at the University of Nebraska a good one, then i applaud them for taking the initiative to make their college education a good one.

The thing about both Jason and Christian Peter is this: both are probably good guys when they're not under the influence of drugs and alcohol. I think everytime Christian got into trouble it took place in a bar. He had an alcohol problem. It was also highly speculated that he had a steroid problem as well. Sometimes, success puts abnormally high stress and pressure on athletes. I think this might be why we had a larger than normal amount of run ins with the law. My brother-in-law lost one football game in high school. He said there was so much pressure that football wasn't even fun. I'm guessing some of these guys felt the same way and tried to wash it away with drugs or alcohol.

• 4 weeks later...

So you condone stealing? Makes sense.

There were other previous incidents the one I recounted above was just the one that broke the camels back as it were.

i don't condone anything.. You can't simply say every football player is bad. Keep cheering an buying jerseys!!! people like you make me sick.

My point was we mocked & ridiculed the “Thug” schools when they were beating up on us in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Then turned around and stood up for our guys and TO when we were producing the same type of low character players. I could careless if the national media says ‘former Nebraska running back Larry Phillips” when talking about him. Because you know what? He is a former Nebraska running back and compared to the rest of his career that is when he had the most success.

Whether we like it or not what went down with the “thugs” during that 1993-1997 run is part of TO’s legacy and should be brought up when people talk about him. Just like the scandals that happened at FSU under Bowden should be brought up when talking about him as well. So on and so on.

As far as Florida and Penn State go, did any of their players drag a girl down 3 flights of stairs by her hair? Did any of their players rap a girl twice on back to back days, then turn around and fondle another girl at a bar? Were two of their players “involved” in a drive-by at a gas station? Was one of their starting LB’s arrested twice in a year span for driving while intoxicated and fleeing from the police? I’m asking because I don’t know, :dunno but I do know that the four I listed (amongst countless others) all went down between 1993 & 1997 at NU.

So how long, exactly, do you plan on wallowing in the mire of those issues? And why do you focus on Peter and Phillips, when we were producing some really fine guys at the same time, both personally and academically?

You can harp all you want about "hypocrisy" amongst Husker fans, but the bottom line is, the VAST majority of kids who came out of our program in the 1990s were the kind of guys I'd let my daughter date. You're welcome to focus on the negatives of Phillips and Peter and ignore the good kids. That's your choice. Me - I'll look at the program as a whole, and the entirety of Osborne's career both on and off the field, and realize that while there were some pretty heinous things done by kids wearing our jerseys, BY FAR the guys who went through our program were solid, upstanding citizens worthy of admiration.

It's all about what you want to focus on. You, apparently, feel the need to rub everyone's nose in rapes and DWIs and the like. Good for you.

but you have to remember the old saying

"one bad apple spoils the bunch"

or

"a hundred good deeds are erased by 1 bad deed"

every school has its problems. those problems hit the national media when the team goes 60-3 over a five year span.

especially a team from the mid-west.

upon seeing the above post, my post has been moved to the woodshed.

I was a little suprised that someone wrote in there that he raped all these people and he is not in jail for a lot longer.

In 1993, Peter sexually assaulted Melissa DeMuth in his dorm room, and also groped Natalie Kuijvenhoven (a former Miss Nebraska) in a crowded bar and told her how she loved it in an obscenity-laced tirade. He was convicted and sentenced to 18 months probation, and was suspended for a 1993 exhibition game

18 months for Rape? What in the world? If any $*^%# rapes one of my daughters and gets off with 18 months, I would be beside myself. I don't care who he is.

I've never really understood some of the punishments handed out for sex crimes. Locally, there was a guy who was sexually abusing his 13 year old daughter. He gets some probation and never serves any time. A year later, there's another guy who told his 17 year old step daughter to give him a blow. He winds up in the state pen. for 3-5 years. Of course, there's a lot of things I dont' understand. One NFL players kills some dogs and has some dogfights and ends up in prison for 20 months. Another NFL players gets drunk and then runs over and kills a person. He gets probation.